2014 Formula One World Championship - Round Twelve - Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps (22 - 24 A

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok sure, Hamilton 'held the line' that took him from the middle of the track to the edge of the track where Rosberg was and Rosberg backed out of it. There is no other definition of 'squeezing'.

Rosberg chose a bad place to overtake, never had a good crack at it and Hamilton did exactly what he was entitled to do - stick to the racing line. This is also the consensus of the professionals who watched the incident.

As for the move, it was 100% Rosbergs fault. It was just a clumsy, rookie error. However, as I've been trying to get across, now Hamilton won't be so confident racing Rosberg and might leave him a bit more space, which could make things even more interesting for neutrals as we get towards the end of the season.

Alternatively, should Rosberg be punished for what he did, then Nico more reluctant to go for the gap, knowing another error of judgement might land him in serious trouble.

Even with a safety car the damage to the car meant Hamilton wasn't catching anyone. He'd have closed in then gotten left behind again.

No one will know for sure but I think if Hamilton had come in for new tyres in response to a safety car then he would have worked his way into a point scoring position. The pace he was showing after the incident was not his true speed and if it was then his complaints about preserving the engine don't add up. In saying that I don't think it would have been a high points scoring position but it would have been points nonetheless.

I'm not sure how Rosberg has avoided punishment for deliberately taking out another driver.

I'm not sure how Rosberg has avoided punishment for deliberately taking out another driver.
He was lucky that it was his teammate. Stewards probably argued that no way would a teammate deliberately wreck another teammate and therefore concluded it was an accident, no further penalty.

Obviously after the race, Nico admitted that he did deliberately do it on purpose, I doubt the stewards can further punish him after the admission of guilt.

I still don't think that he took out Lewis on purpose, he just didn't make extra room for him "to prove a point."

I'm not all over the rules, but by the book, is Nico required to move out of the way, or just leave Hamilton enough room to get around without crashing?

Back to Hungary - I'll back Lewis then. Nico couldn't close on him the last second or two.

It is one thing not getting in the way as a bloke tries to pass you, it is different expecting Lewis to hit the brakes and concede time to his competitors.

Had Nico been all over his gearbox I daresay he would have yielded. That didn't happen and I don't see how Lewis could have been expected to lose what could have been crucial time.

But Hamilton had been given the order (twice) and Rosberg knew this. In those circumstances the following driver would be (rightly) expecting the other driver to move out of the way.

But Hamilton had been given the order (twice) and Rosberg knew this. In those circumstances the following driver would be (rightly) expecting the other driver to move out of the way.
It wouldn't have been moving out of the way though. It would've been slowing down for over a second and waiting for Rosberg to go past. It was a ludicrous order given how far back Nico was.

Former F1 driver Emmanuele Pirro, who was the driver expert on the panel of FIA stewards at the Belgian Grand Prix, has said that the decision not to investigate the Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton collision took them very little time to reach.
Speaking to Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, Pirro, 52, said, “We needed less than 10 seconds to decide that the contact was innocuous and not worth pursuing. It was something venial that had unfortunate consequences, but the contact came in a few millimetres, in other words neither of the two cars had sudden movements.

Move out of the way sure - but not hit the brakes.

IMO there is a difference between leaving a gap entering a corner to allow someone to come up the inside - as opposed to hitting the brakes and pulling over on the straight. Rosberg never got close enough to be let through.

Rosberg did a Prost/ schumacher.

But he learnt from them, made sure it was subtle and on a track they were so much faster that he thought he could still easily win (which he nearly did if wasn't for fingerboy holding him up while Daniel son was out front)

You sense the cunningness of Lauda in this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stole this from another fourm (and probably been mentioned already).

Hamilton vs Rosberg at Canada – Hamilton seems to know what to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back