No Oppo Supporters 2014 General AFL Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

To be fair Port only offered pick 17 for a week but this week upped it to pick 37 aswell. So only a week of being hopeless.

So all this angry posing from Essendon ends by them receiving pick 37 out of Port.

That and their reputation as an awful club to deal with being solidified. "The world is against us, woe is us".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of depressing.

The two main chances for next year in Port and Hawks have got stronger - we have arguably got weaker with age and no regeneration in AFL proven talent

GWS have got stronger in the immediate future which matters.

Mission accomplished for the AFL in the first battle.

Sort of depressing.

The two main chances for next year in Port and Hawks have got stronger - we have arguably got weaker with age and no regeneration in AFL proven talent

GWS have got stronger in the immediate future which matters.

Mission accomplished for the AFL in the first battle.

On the basis those teams are fully fit.
Port don't have a lot of depth as was shown in the middle of the year.
Hawks are relying on the 30+ brigade to maintain fitness/form.

On the other hand, I think Carlton has ****ed up badly. Jaksch I think will be a decent KPP but to give up pick 7 for him was overs IMO and I don't expect Liam Jones will improve particularly on what he was at the Dogs. They seem to really be confused with where their list is. They should be rebuilding with young picks, not trying to rebuild by picking established yet middling senior players.

On the basis those teams are fully fit.
Port don't have a lot of depth as was shown in the middle of the year.
Hawks are relying on the 30+ brigade to maintain fitness/form.

Just quietly - we better remain fully fit as well.

To mimic your responses;

The Swans don't have a lot of depth as was shown in 2013 and against Richmond in Rnd 22 or whatever it was
Sydney are relying on the 32+ brigade to maintain fitness and form

We have both of the problems you identified above (as do most teams).

Again - they had the ability to take remedial action and did. We were artificially excluded and have bent over and been reamed.

I like Melbourne's moves this off-season. Lumumba, Frost and Garlett all coming in and will contribute to the seniors immediately. Throw in pick 2 and 3 and I think they've done pretty well. Roos would be content with how the list has been improved I think.

Lumumba should give them some drive through the middle.
Frost a replacement for Frawley.
Garlett will give them some spark in the forward line.

On the other hand, I think Carlton has ****** up badly. Jaksch I think will be a decent KPP but to give up pick 7 for him was overs IMO and I don't expect Liam Jones will improve particularly on what he was at the Dogs. They seem to really be confused with where their list is. They should be rebuilding with young picks, not trying to rebuild by picking established yet middling senior players.

I like their moves. The two they got off GWS are 20 (Jaksch) and 22 (Whiley) years of age and fit into the positions of need the club (KP Swingman and inside midfielder). Jones is a handy forward for them that didn't cost much and they still have a bunch of draft picks which they can use on selections that fit their needs and not overhyped youngsters like Kane Lucas....

I can see where their improvement will come from now as a list and where they are headed.

Just quietly - we better remain fully fit as well.

To mimic your responses;

The Swans don't have a lot of depth as was shown in 2013 and against Richmond in Rnd 22 or whatever it was
Sydney are relying on the 32+ brigade to maintain fitness and form

We have both of the problems you identified above (as do most teams).

Again - they had the ability to take remedial action and did. We were artificially excluded and have bent over and been reamed.

Did we really have the cap space for another free agent?
Outside of this who could we have traded for in defence?

2013 we made a prelim final with an enormous injury list which shows we do have depth.

I'm not sure the Richmond game counts given we weren't playing for anything other than staying injury free.

Did we really have the cap space for another free agent?
Outside of this who could we have traded for in defence?

2013 we made a prelim final with an enormous injury list which shows we do have depth.

I'm not sure the Richmond game counts given we weren't playing for anything other than staying injury free.

Well since were chasing Patfull and Ryder then - yah. They must of had plans. The point being we were forced to sit on the sidelines. Who knows what could have happened? Hey maybe nothing but seriously given the list what do you honestly think.

And in 2013 we got absolutely smashed in the prelim and did not beat a fellow top 4 team all year if memory serves, maybe once or twice, which shows that our depth is awesome to beat Carlton but not so good when playing Freo/Hawks/Port/Geelong etc etc etc. By the way 2 of the "depth" just wondered off the reservation for nix.

Richmond game has to count. Because we were (not) resting players but a lot were sore (lol) we played our depth in a game that mimicked what an injured side would look like. They still went out and represented and were exposed in a number of key areas notably forward entries, getting out of defence and our KPD player became by default Dane Rampe because the AA fullback lacked pace and agility to compete. I would not consider any of that ideal.

Yeh all of the above is overly pessimistic but I do not think you can simply put a bow on this trade period and say she will be right.

Premierships are hard to win. They require a lot of things to go right. They require improvement across all areas of a club. We were denied organic trade improvement and probably retained aged players as a result that will naturally, understandably and regrettably deteriorate again in the new season.

Just my take of course and opinions will vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back