2014 Grand final upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Membership renewal paid, Upgrade paid, aaaaaannnnnnnnnddd here we go again :) 2013 was Exciting but extremely stressful !! Hope my heart can handle another round :eek:

feels like such a long road to get to the GF again.

and I hate you Sydney !!

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
Possibly, but now anyone different will be locked out. Does that mean the same 5000 people will always get the upgrade every year if they choose to renew ? Not sure that's completely reasonable.
it means they can continue to sell their barcodes (was happening a lot on facebook) for the rest of their lives

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is a fairer way ?
Some have been paying it for 10 plus years.
Whatever policy they adopt somebody is going to feel aggrieved.

I think it is the easiest/fairest way ... but for people like myself, it still sucks. I paid it from the first year it came in, but let everything lapse while in the US. I've probably paid the upgrade for more years than many of the people who are now the only ones who can get it ... maybe they could somehow historically track how many years each member has paid it, then prioritize that way (or at least for any waiting list that there might be)? But that is probably too much hassle.

Ultimately my own fault for not paying that purple army membership (if you could even get the GF upgrade with that membership), but I had no idea that even existed. I had contact with the membership department in 2011 after I didn't renew (I actually paid for the 2011 season though I wasn't even living in Perth, and gave the tickets to my sister/uncle) ... they just said "OK" and didn't give me any alternative membership options. My fault for not looking into it properly myself, but I figured it was pointless getting a membership of any kind while living in the US.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I agree with this but I can understand why they don't ; It could possibly discourage new members .
Also, I would be reasonably confident the grand final upgrade $ is set by the AFL and applies to all clubs. The price of $35.00 would be the same at all clubs.

Andrew Demetriou .... " A study of Avarice " .

Nah, clubs can charge what they like (or nothing at all). Sydney didn't even use their whole members allocation in 2012, so I doubt they'd have anything. The big Melbourne clubs give GF ticket priority to their expensive memberships.

Clubs would just be told to be careful guaranteeing members GF tickets when the allocation each year isn't fixed.

TBH, if we made the GF in 2014 then i'd be surprised if the demand was as much as 2013.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
What is included in this? You do get a ticket to the game don't you?

yes, we did it this year. We got tickets and a lavish meal. Peter Bell hosted a panel, they had Peter Hellier entertain us. Would I do it again? probably not at that price. I was so nervous I hardly ate and just wanted to puke lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
[quote="Rob, post: 30582879, member: 465"]Nah, clubs can charge what they like (or nothing at all). Sydney didn't even use their whole members allocation in 2012, so I doubt they'd have anything. The big Melbourne clubs give GF ticket priority to their expensive memberships.

Clubs would just be told to be careful guaranteeing members GF tickets when the allocation each year isn't fixed.

TBH, if we made the GF in 2014 then i'd be surprised if the demand was as much as 2013.[/quote]

Do you know that for a fact ?
That really surprises me, no , amazes me.
It would be a fool who didn't take it up if it cost nothing.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Do you know that for a fact ?
That really surprises me, no , amazes me.
It would be a fool who didn't take it up if it cost nothing.

Well I haven't seen it written in AFL rules, but it's fair to assume given the wide variety of ways and prices that clubs offer guaranteed grand final tickets that it's entirely up to the clubs as to how they do it.

I doubt any club would offer it for nothing, they just wouldn't offer it in the first place. Like I said, Sydney members didn't even take up their GF ticket allocation in 2012, so the idea of a guaranteed ticket for them isn't overly valuable. Every Sydney member is likely to have a guaranteed ticket if they want it. I don't think West Coast has it either, but Indian Pacific noteholders get priority.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
LOL, did that actually process with a price of $0?

Cheapest grand final package ever!

Renewal Items
Seats Qty Price Total
Reserved Seat Membership Block 215
Row JJ
24 1 Adult AUD $305.00 AUD $305.00
RENEWAL ITEMS: AUD $305.00
spacer.gif

Additional Items
Area Qty Price Total
2014 Grand Final Package
- MISC1
Grand Final Function 2
21 1 AUD $0.00 AUD $0.00
ADDITIONAL ITEMS: AUD $0.00
spacer.gif

TOTAL INVOICE VALUE
AUD $305.00
Amount Paid Today
AUD $305.00
OUTSTANDING BALANCE
AUD $0.00

Persoog

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
South of The River
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you might find that if you added in an exclusive members cap, scarf, a pet membership, Sirens etc, there would have been a figure following additional items....

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Quay Club members have had SFA

That is true. As a QuayClub member myself I always resented the fact Harbour Masters Category members got many concessions whilst QC got zilch.
I reckon If they are going to introduce some sort of priority system for GF upgrades, then QuayClub members should be the first considered.

VolgaBoatman

All Australian
Apr 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
That is true. As a QuayClub member myself I always resented the fact Harbour Masters Category members got many concessions whilst QC got zilch.
I reckon If they are going to introduce some sort of priority system for GF upgrades, then QuayClub members should be the first considered.

I think if they prioritise for GF upgrades then the fact you were on the ground floor so to speak will help anyway, as long as you've been a member the whole time.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think if they prioritise for GF upgrades then the fact you were on the ground floor so to speak will help anyway, as long as you've been a member the whole time.

Someone posted earlier, it sounded like a quote from the club, that they intended to introduce a priority system and it would seem obvious that Quay Club members would be the beneficiaries.

VolgaBoatman

All Australian
Apr 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Have contacted Membership services via email. If you want to be added to the waitlist for GF Upgrade you need to email them once you have paid for your membership. They will process these in Feb 2014 once they see how many people renew their upgrade package.

These are the responses I received:

Any unrenewed upgrades will be offered to members on a waiting list. These will be allocated based on years of membership as we believe this is the fairest way to manage this process.

When you renew your membership for 2014 please notify the club and we can add you to this waitlist if you would like."

These allocations will start in February 2014 and should you be successful in receiving one we will notify you then to process payment.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I called the club today to sort out the GF upgrade...all good..find out in February. What was interesting was how long it took to go through. I hate people jumping on the bandwagon but so glad our club is growing! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back