List Mgmt. 2014 List Management thread - 10 changes to the senior list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't have any inside knowledge on this, but the way it panned out, I presume we offered him a pay rise to walk away.

His option were probably along the lines of;

A) be demoted to the rookie list next year and be told that you're not wanted around the place and won't get any more games.

B) Retire now, so that we can use an extra pick, and we'll up your salary (which sits in next seasons salary cap no matter what) by 75%.

I don't have a problem with him leaving if this was indeed the case. No problem at all - particularly if he has a law degree to fall back on.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if we got one of the Collins St members to offer him a law interniship at one of the big firms, if he walked away.

Yep, I'd imagine he had some help arriving at his decision. Probably told he has square root of FA chance of making it here and/or introduced to a plethora of opportunities available in other fields of employment.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I personally would hate to be an AFL player

I know how you feel. Imagine how much more you'd cop from everyone on the board if you were plodding away getting 10 touches at Casey every week. You flog.

Do you work for HUN?

Because misquoting at such a professional level leads me to think that RandB is just an anagram for Jon Ralph
Poor form mate. :D

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Then why didn't he retire before now?

The decision to demote him might have been the tipping point. He may have come to the conclusion that the sacrifice isn't worth it anymore, he's got other stuff to achieve with his life. Football is not the be all and end all in life.

Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I still don't understand why he would retire now? Why not just play that last year from the rookie list that you are going to get paid regardless? For all we know he could what Neville Jetta did this year.

I mean I'm happy we've got the extra pick but this just sums up how f***ing stupid that bloke is.

Why would he retire now? Because he's knows he's not going to make it at AFL level, is studying law, and this way gets paid a (low) six figure salary to knock a year off his degree.

And you think that's stupid?

If I needed someone to solve a rubik's cube to save my life, and I had to choose between you and Pickles, I know who I'd be asking.

10 Changes to the senior list for the end of 2014. i.e. 25%.

6 of the 10 departures were delistees.

IN

National Draft: 5

Trade In: 3

DFA In: 1

Rookie Upgrade: 1

OUT

Delisted: 6

Retired: 2

Trade Out: 1

UFA Out: 1

i like how we all wanted Evans gone and we're questioning his motives for leaving (I'm guilty of this). He's gone we got what we wanted, and MFC got what it wanted, him off the senior list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back