List Mgmt. 2014 List Management thread - 10 changes to the senior list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facing-Brick_large.jpg

I'm really liking the message that the MFC and other clubs are sending to their lists with the recent spate of mid-contract delistings. You have to perform every year, not just the final year of a contract in order to be safe. A contract only guarantees you a payout, not a game.

I'm really liking the message that the MFC and other clubs are sending to their lists with the recent spate of mid-contract delistings. You have to perform every year, not just the final year of a contract in order to be safe. A contract only guarantees you a payout, not a game.
Yeah but this goes two ways. We won't be laughing if say Hogan demands a trade mid-contract.

It'd be a lot easier if we just gave out appropriate contracts. Fringe players (Bail, Evans types) should get 1 year max

Sort of. The club has done that with Bail and Terlich this year (which I still think is a mistake) but Evans was more a young prospect than fringe player when he got his 2-year extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess young guys who have potential can threaten to head to the draft, knowing that they'll get a 2 year deal elsewhere - which puts some pressure on the club to cough up 2 years.
If they're happy to go anywhere from GWS to Brisbane to Freo to Geelong, then let them I say.

I'm not sure that would be a great list management policy.
My point is that there's a reason it never happens. Players aren't going to take the risk of walking to the draft unless they're a Luke Ball well into their career. Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Saw a report saying Nathan Jones is on half as much money as Chris Dawes (not sure how accurate this is), and in contract negotiations Jonesy has asked for a 5 year lucrative deal from 2016 to 2020 making him 32 when the contract ends. Jones is apparently happy to sign right now but the club doesn't agree to his terms. WTF is wrong with us.

Saw a report saying Nathan Jones is on half as much money as Chris Dawes (not sure how accurate this is), and in contract negotiations Jonesy has asked for a 5 year lucrative deal from 2016 to 2020 making him 32 when the contract ends. Jones is apparently happy to sign right now but the club doesn't agree to his terms. WTF is wrong with us.

Its hard to have an opinion on that

On one hand he deserves a blank cheque with a blank contract , in fact now while im typing Ive realised he never misses games, can still play as an inside mid when he slows down and its Nathan ******* Jones, DAFUQ Melbourne

Jones has the potential to be one of the great Melbourne players if he is not already. Melbourne please if the man is willing don't crew him over he's already done so much for the club it's about time MFC pulled the finger out and gave him what he deserves

Btw not that it matters, but 5 years would put him just out of reach of 300 games

I want to know what the terms are that they don't agree too.

5 years? Fine. He might be beyond it in 5 years but him being gone in 12 months will do way more damage to this club than a slower, older Jones plodding about when he's 32.

So, that only really leaves the money. He's our best player - he should be paid accordingly. What would he be asking for? $600k? $700k? If that's what he's asking for then the club would be mad not to pay it. So... does that mean it must be substantially be more than that?

If we're not resigning Jones for top dollars it had better be because we're signing Dangerfield, Walker, and Hanneberry as FAs.
This is what I reckon the problem is, we want to target free agents next year but players like Dawes and Lumumba and who knows who else are getting paid way overs, now we probably don't have the cap space to fit everyone in.

Good sign is though Jones is keen to stay, already wanting to sign which i can't say the same about other free agent captains at the moment, reckon a deal will be done before the season starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back