2014 NASCAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

100% agree , seen it a million times.
Never seen a guy actually get hit that way though.......

I actually still don't think thats what happened anyway.

As you probably know they almost steer these things with their right foot, i reckon he got on the gas to try and steer away from the kids and well...... we know the result.

These things look pretty hard to see out of, black grill and roll bars. Never driven one, but check the view you get in the bottom pic as you're cornering, where visibility is also impeded by the wing.

Not to mention he probably had dirt on his visor, was also following another car (his vision may have been blocked further) plus the guy was in a dark suit at night, standing in front of his black car.

sprintcar.JPG sprintcar2.JPG

These things look pretty hard to see out of, black grill and roll bars. Never driven one, but check the view you get in the bottom pic as you're cornering, where visibility is also impeded by the wing.

Not to mention he probably had dirt on his visor, was also following another car (his vision may have been blocked further) plus the guy was in a dark suit at night, standing in front of his black car.

View attachment 73223 View attachment 73225

This!

^^
the " SHRIEK AT THE CREEK " or " what happens to campaigners who try and run the Enforcer off the road "

My final thoughts on the Tony incident.

Yep , fatal error from Ward not waiting for the marshalls , could've gesticulated/remonstrated with Smoke once he was safely out of the car and the field recognised the safety vehicles still on track and slowed accordingly.

That said , i don't buy for a second that Tony didn't see him , he saw him standing there , thought " wtf does this campaigner think he is , I'M TONY STEWART DAMMIT , i'll give this pleb a scare......."

And in case anyone takes umbrage with my opinion , go back and research Tony's career , Petulant child

50/50 blame imo but dead men give no statements.

RIP Kevin Ward Jr

EDIT - why'd Dodgy get suspended lol ?

1. The driver in the car in front of Stewart barely saw him (As per a crew member on the car).
2. The driver was wearing a black helmet, black race suit, standing on a poorly lit section of the rubber-down part of the track. There were red stripes down the side of the racesuit, but they were not on the front of his racesuit. It would've been black on black on black.
3. Have you sat in a Sprintcar before? It's hard enough to see outside of the right side when you are not wearing a helmet or HANS Device. Some drivers run cut right wingplates just so they can improve their rightside vision. Tony, like most drivers, runs a full containment seat, I'd assume a ButlerBuilt. The full containment seats make it incredibly tough to see out the right side and reduce your left side vision (However, your left side vision is still reasonable with the seat.).
4. The caution light had just come out. Things drivers do under caution include: adjusting the main wing, check oil pressure, gas the Sprintcar to clean out the engine and scrub the loose dirt off the tyres, adjust shocks with guages on the dash, remove latest messy tearoff. These things can distract a driver under caution. It couple be possible that Tony was doing any one of these things, not paying 100% to the track and just clipped the driver accidentally.
5. Since his incident last year, Tony has been working with industry manufacturers to make the cars safer, reducing the risk of drivers suffering similar injuries to him or worse. Why would he intentionally go and put a drivers life at risk after spending the last year and what would have been future years (Pending charges) trying to make the sport more safe? I will be surprised disappointed if Tony was trying to intimidate him.
6. Again, the Tony Stewart you see in NASCAR is different in recent years to the one you see at a dirt track. Tony does NASCAR for a living and does Sprintcars for fun.
7. There was NO contact between Stewart and Ward in the incident. Stewart pulled what I would call an aggressive, but NOT dirty slide job (Ward could have backed off, but chose not to, causing him to crash-A dirty slidejob is one in which the driver being slid is given NO option to back out). He had no reason to think that Ward would be angry with him. Yes, they were supposedly racing hard prior to the incident, but you always race hard in a Sprintcar. It was a racing incident. I doubt he would've been expecting a driver to be in the middle of the track angry with him and as such would not have been looking for a driver in the middle of the track.
8. The Sprintcars have a high power to weight ratio; higher than F1, higher than NASCAR, higher than V8 Supercars. Whilst under caution those cars were still doing at least 50 to 60 km/h. Because of the power to weight ratio, they break traction quite easily. People were claiming by just looking at the video that Tony accelerated whilst in the proximity of Ward. You cannot claim that from just looking at the video. As I mentioned in "4." Cars would have been gassing it to keep the tyres clean, engines clean. It could very well have been another car gassing it at the same time Stewart made contact with Ward. If it was Stewarts car revving, it could very well have been caused by the right rear spinning on a less hard surface than the normally hard surface of the track. I don't want to be graphic about it, but I think you can guess for yourselves what I mean by that. When the right rear is lifted off the racing surface even the slightest when the throttle is being applied, the 750+ horsepower (I think Stewart was running the 360, not 410. It applies to both however) it causes the engine to rev loud. I'm not sure whether the audio and visuals links up to suggest this, but I think it is a plausible explanation to the claims going around.

Other things of note:
1. If you brake in a Sprintcar, it "pushes" the car up the track. If you accelerate, it pushes the right rear out and pushes the Sprintcar down the track. So, to all the people saying he should have braked if Tony saw the driver there (Not necessarily on this forum, but moreso the twitter "Speedway experts"), it would have increased his chances of hitting the driver.
2. Sprintcars are designed and set up to run at full speed. They handle horribly when they are not being raced hard.

I find it a little sad that the media in the US and to a lesser extent here have put the focus onto Stewartand what penalty he will receive and are spending less time talking about Ward. It's disrespectful to his family and friends. I am VERY disappointed that in Australia they haven't really mentioned (Other than on Speedcafe) that "King Ironman" Kerry Madsen the 31st ran 3rd in the 54th Running of the Knoxville Nationals. The first Australian in the 54 year history of the event to even make the Podium. First non-American to do it that I am aware of.

Anyway, last comment on the incident until more of note develops.

1. The driver in the car in front of Stewart barely saw him (As per a crew member on the car).
2. The driver was wearing a black helmet, black race suit, standing on a poorly lit section of the rubber-down part of the track. There were red stripes down the side of the racesuit, but they were not on the front of his racesuit. It would've been black on black on black.
3. Have you sat in a Sprintcar before? It's hard enough to see outside of the right side when you are not wearing a helmet or HANS Device. Some drivers run cut right wingplates just so they can improve their rightside vision. Tony, like most drivers, runs a full containment seat, I'd assume a ButlerBuilt. The full containment seats make it incredibly tough to see out the right side and reduce your left side vision (However, your left side vision is still reasonable with the seat.).
4. The caution light had just come out. Things drivers do under caution include: adjusting the main wing, check oil pressure, gas the Sprintcar to clean out the engine and scrub the loose dirt off the tyres, adjust shocks with guages on the dash, remove latest messy tearoff. These things can distract a driver under caution. It couple be possible that Tony was doing any one of these things, not paying 100% to the track and just clipped the driver accidentally.
5. Since his incident last year, Tony has been working with industry manufacturers to make the cars safer, reducing the risk of drivers suffering similar injuries to him or worse. Why would he intentionally go and put a drivers life at risk after spending the last year and what would have been future years (Pending charges) trying to make the sport more safe? I will be surprised disappointed if Tony was trying to intimidate him.
6. Again, the Tony Stewart you see in NASCAR is different in recent years to the one you see at a dirt track. Tony does NASCAR for a living and does Sprintcars for fun.
7. There was NO contact between Stewart and Ward in the incident. Stewart pulled what I would call an aggressive, but NOT dirty slide job (Ward could have backed off, but chose not to, causing him to crash-A dirty slidejob is one in which the driver being slid is given NO option to back out). He had no reason to think that Ward would be angry with him. Yes, they were supposedly racing hard prior to the incident, but you always race hard in a Sprintcar. It was a racing incident. I doubt he would've been expecting a driver to be in the middle of the track angry with him and as such would not have been looking for a driver in the middle of the track.
8. The Sprintcars have a high power to weight ratio; higher than F1, higher than NASCAR, higher than V8 Supercars. Whilst under caution those cars were still doing at least 50 to 60 km/h. Because of the power to weight ratio, they break traction quite easily. People were claiming by just looking at the video that Tony accelerated whilst in the proximity of Ward. You cannot claim that from just looking at the video. As I mentioned in "4." Cars would have been gassing it to keep the tyres clean, engines clean. It could very well have been another car gassing it at the same time Stewart made contact with Ward. If it was Stewarts car revving, it could very well have been caused by the right rear spinning on a less hard surface than the normally hard surface of the track. I don't want to be graphic about it, but I think you can guess for yourselves what I mean by that. When the right rear is lifted off the racing surface even the slightest when the throttle is being applied, the 750+ horsepower (I think Stewart was running the 360, not 410. It applies to both however) it causes the engine to rev loud. I'm not sure whether the audio and visuals links up to suggest this, but I think it is a plausible explanation to the claims going around.

Other things of note:
1. If you brake in a Sprintcar, it "pushes" the car up the track. If you accelerate, it pushes the right rear out and pushes the Sprintcar down the track. So, to all the people saying he should have braked if Tony saw the driver there (Not necessarily on this forum, but moreso the twitter "Speedway experts"), it would have increased his chances of hitting the driver.
2. Sprintcars are designed and set up to run at full speed. They handle horribly when they are not being raced hard.

I find it a little sad that the media in the US and to a lesser extent here have put the focus onto Stewartand what penalty he will receive and are spending less time talking about Ward. It's disrespectful to his family and friends. I am VERY disappointed that in Australia they haven't really mentioned (Other than on Speedcafe) that "King Ironman" Kerry Madsen the 31st ran 3rd in the 54th Running of the Knoxville Nationals. The first Australian in the 54 year history of the event to even make the Podium. First non-American to do it that I am aware of.

Anyway, last comment on the incident until more of note develops.

Possibly the best most informed post I hav ever seen on bigfooty.

A new odd thing that can bring out a caution - a yokel on the catch fence

NASCARFan-224x299.jpg

I liked the bit about drivers asking "Whose t-shirt is he wearing ? "
"He's not wearing one"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still don't like the new chase format. I can't understand what was wrong with the top 12 all qualifying on points. There was generally two or three drivers with a chance of winning heading into Miami most years anyway.

old system no doubt was too hard to explain to the part-time fans ( and lets face it, that's ALL the networks gaf about )

How hard was it to explain ?
- 12 drivers are in the Chase
- Their points are reset at the start of the Chase [was it 2000 pts,plus 5pts bonus for each win ?]
- Driver with the most points after Homestead is champion

Not hard at all

- Their points are reset at the start of the Chase [was it 2000 pts,plus 5pts bonus for each win ?]

Not hard at all
I asked myself the same question.
Fact is , yanks are ( on the whole ) thick as 2 planks of wood tied together , playoff brackets are easier to grasp than " points resets "

I've said this before but the chase is a farce but i'd bet one of my aggots it was created by some flog who works for NBC.

" ZOMG , we'll lose 50% of the part-time viewers if the championship's decided with more than 1 race left in the season :eek::eek::eek: "

Last edited:

Not hard at all

Was three points for each win I believe. It was five under the older system.

but wait......there's more

Tim Cindric@TimCindric · 6h
Plan to have a teleconference on Monday at 9pm EST to give a @v8supercars update for the media.No further comments. Focused on the Chase now

So Penske to join DJR,with Ambrose lead driver
There could even be more to this - there's a suggestion Ambrose could do a part time schedule in Nascar,assuming it would be with Penske [they've sometimes run a 3rd car for Hornish Jr or Montoya].None of the Sprint or Nationwide road races clash with V8s next year.

but wait......there's more

Tim Cindric@TimCindric · 6h
Plan to have a teleconference on Monday at 9pm EST to give a @v8supercars update for the media.No further comments. Focused on the Chase now

So Penske to join DJR,with Ambrose lead driver
There could even be more to this - there's a suggestion Ambrose could do a part time schedule in Nascar,assuming it would be with Penske [they've sometimes run a 3rd car for Hornish Jr or Montoya].None of the Sprint or Nationwide road races clash with V8s next year.
Absolutely gutted that the ride is over, I followed him over to NASCAR from V8s and never wanted to look back. Hopefully he can pick up an oval win before the sun sets and who knows, Never say never about coming back.

Full time V8s and part time Road Course Terminator Penske backed Ambrose would be my ideal situation - Just popping up randomly at the Roadies and winning before riding back off into the sunset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back