Toast 2014 National Draft, pick #31 - welcome to Hawthorn Daniel Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Proud to sprout off and say I was a member of the inaugural Howey bandwagon. Another solid performance last night. I thought he did a great job on Fyfe.

You can see his confidence grow and I was impressed to see him dance around a few and dob that goal early on. How was his courage too, going back with the flight in defence during the last half? The kid's got something special.

My hand is up saying I couldn't see 'it' when watching him play until recent games....
If I were to guess why I was wrong, it seems like previously he took sooo much time to make decisions because he wanted to be sure he was making the right one.
Now he makes the decision and lets history and his coach decide if it was the right one.
Smart, because being a good player is believing you can make a difference through your play.
He's believing.

Still carrying a fair bit of puppy fat, but then so did Hodgie.

Cant help but think back to a Hawks article over the 15/16 summer that said how he was training the house down. Going much harder than expected, soaking up the environment and learning from everyone and anyone about the place. It was more than the usual feel good story, or space filler over the off season, or about the new kid on the block. It was saying then, with time, he is going to be a big part of our future. I was desperate and thought he was going to be the Hodge type replacement ... :rolleyes: ... but happy if he tracks down the Lewis path and acts as fearsome Lieutenant to Burton.
Was always going to take time to break into this team, to get out of the shadow of our stars and shine himself. Be another couple of years before we see him at his best.
Exceded any expectations this year I would have thought.

Next step would be to get up to 20 possessions a game. He certainly does all the team things, and that spoil running back with the flight was a good indicator of his all-round game. It's good to have a big body in the midfield again though, someone who can win the odd crucial contest, and he seems to do that.

I'm sure he plays on JPK on Friday, and then Dustin Martin.

He may have taken his jumper upgrade a year too early, probably would've found himself in the 15.
Nothing wrong with running around in the middle wearing 17

There was a knock on his pace, but haven't really noticed this as an issue during games.

Big, goes hard, great right foot, courageous, loves a bit of niggle... perfect Hawthorn player.

Howe looks like a choirboy.

He's a baby faced killer!

Really enjoy the fact that it appeared quite quickly to get up to speed of the game and adapt his game accordingly. Knows he is not the quickest to get to a contest therefore by reading where the contest is likely to be positions himself early in that place. Also for a "tagged" he is developing his own polish - lad will go far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember one of his first games back in about round 15 or so against Geelong in 2015. Was the sub and only played the last quarter I think, but showed great potential.

Two moments stood out - the first was when he won the ball at the centre bounce, blind turned a player and then put inside 50. The second was on the wing where instead of taking possession and getting tackled, he shepherded the ball allowing one of our other player (can't remember who) to run on to it which resulted in a goal. Thought it demonstrated a great footy IQ for a guy who had hardly played.

I'd grown a little concerned with his progress after not really getting much game time last year but his last month has been brilliant. Looks like he belongs, is both very skilful and hard at it and is am all round very clever player.

Very excited for his future.

Howe looks like a choirboy.

He's a baby faced killer!

Our own George "Baby Face" Nelson, bank robber and criminal associate of John Dillinger.

Baby_Face_Nelson_1931_mug_shot.jpg

Jeez, along with Doc 'Ramsay Bolton' Duryea and James 'Mad Artist' Sicily, we're building quite the Wild Bunch, aren't we?

An indisputable classic.

2013-05-14-the_wild_bunch-e1368584864863.jpg

He may have taken his jumper upgrade a year too early, probably would've found himself in the 15.
Half expect the #15 jumper to go on another year, even without Hodgey wearing it. The jumper would be that well drilled, I half expect it to line up across HB & start telling other players what to do, just out of habit!

*Edit: I just checked the rule book & there's no mention of a rule precluding Hodgey's jumper from playing on in a coaching capacity, starting across half-back then drifting forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back