Toast 2014 ND Pick #34 - Welcome to Freo Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't he be his own man?

He is his own man, but saying he reminds me of Connor Blakely seems kinda redundant.

Watch that clip I posted and tell me that move doesn't remind you of Fyfe. Then watch his kicking style (@ 1:13 for example) and tell me it isn't reminiscent of Hase.

I know you don't like comparisons for some reason, but they're just harmless musings. It's not like I'm expecting him to turn into either of those players.

The dumb thing about these comments are, in two years, someone else could "be just like Blakely."

I ******* hope so - that would mean he's turned into a player of note.

Last edited:
Good pick. Like his highlight reel. It's only 3:13 but moves well in traffic, reads it well at the clearances and has a quick burst of speed. A young bloke that has achieved a fair bit to date having played all WAFL League Games this year and represented his State. He looks to at least be able to mix it with the best of his peers. Simon Lloyd certainly has some class to work with here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The young man certainly can find his own ball going by his highligts reel. Surprised to see us go all mids and forwards but like the Admiral said this could see a shift for Fyfe to CHF to save him getting crunched for 4 quarters. Add McCarthy or Hogan to the mix in and suddenly Freo will be geniuses. No one knows how good a player will be in 5 years or who will even still be in the system, but that is why we're on here tonight. Talk it up and dream the dream. Welcome Connor.

That's funny. The first thing I noticed in the vid was that he was happy to have a go on his left!

Check out 1:25 then 2:15 then 2:45

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=696516

Yeah that was before I saw that one but I was too lazy to edit it. :$

Really as an inside mid he just needs to be capable of giving it a decent roost on the left I'm not particularly fussed if he isn't Sam Mitchell or Akermanis.

Have to repeat it again but his work in congestion is pretty special, the Mundy/Fyfe comparisons really do hit you. Top speed doesn't appear impressive but breaks away from contests easily.

Yeah that was before I saw that one but I was too lazy to edit it. :$

Really as an inside mid he just needs to be capable of giving it a decent roost on the left I'm not particularly fussed if he isn't Sam Mitchell or Akermanis.

Have to repeat it again but his work in congestion is pretty special, the Mundy/Fyfe comparisons really do hit you. Top speed doesn't appear impressive but breaks away from contests easily.
He's top speed may not be eye catching but his side step out of traffic is pretty special.

The young man certainly can find his own ball going by his highligts reel. Surprised to see us go all mids and forwards but like the Admiral said this could see a shift for Fyfe to CHF to save him getting crunched for 4 quarters.
I reckon your spot on with Fyfe and I think it could happen in 2015 depending on whether Sheridan/Weller/Blakely can step up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back