2014 non Freo games

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the Iran-Iraq match when the player was pushed in the chest and writhed around holding his face. The ref gave him a card, his second so off he went. And the fans accuse the ref of cheating. The irony.

Soccer is by far and away the least sportsman like game on the planet where faking and simulation are lauded and not condemned.

And while we are about hanging s**t on soccer, it's not that skilful either. Any three year old can kick a soccer ball along the ground. Skills are limited to kicking, dribbling, heading and writhing around on the ground clutching an ankle. Yes the very best soccer players have outstanding skills, but so they do in every sport.
The game is incredibly simple, with the only contentious rules being offside and not handling the ball, and they can't get that right much of the time.

Footy has marking, tackling, kicking, rucking, hand balling, bumping, bouncing and dealing with a ball shaped to make the game more difficult. The requisite skills needed by any footy player are higher than those needed by a soccer player.

And while we are about hanging s**t on soccer, it's not that skilful either. Any three year old can kick a soccer ball along the ground. Skills are limited to kicking, dribbling, heading and writhing around on the ground clutching an ankle. Yes the very best soccer players have outstanding skills, but so they do in every sport.
The game is incredibly simple, with the only contentious rules being offside and not handling the ball, and they can't get that right much of the time.

Footy has marking, tackling, kicking, rucking, hand balling, bumping, bouncing and dealing with a ball shaped to make the game more difficult. The requisite skills needed by any footy player are higher than those needed by a soccer player.
Used to despise soccer, but I've grown to like it. The one thing that still gets me is the diving and the faking of injury, it's been pretty bad in the Asian Cup, thankfully even though it still happens it's nowhere near as bad in the EPL.

I think you are underplaying the skill involved in soccer, rather than being something to compare, can't separate sports be enjoyed for the unique game each and everyone is?

One of the more ignorant football posts I've seen

To say it isn't skill-full is borderline hilarity

One of the more ignorant football posts I've seen

To say it isn't skill-full is borderline hilarity

Well I didn't actually say that.
I said it's not that skilful. ie not as skilful as footy. Not as skilful as those who claim the "beautiful game" to be the most skilful game in the world think it is.

I even said the very best soccer players have outstanding skills.

Maybe your reading skills aren't up to scratch. Taken too many headers?

Well I didn't actually say that.
I said it's not that skilful. ie not as skilful as footy. Not as skilful as those who claim the "beautiful game" to be the most skilful game in the world think it is.

I even said the very best soccer players have outstanding skills.

Maybe your reading skills aren't up to scratch. Taken too many headers?

It's more that you said it was limited writhing on the ground and clutching your ankle - that's not in every players skill set

It's more that you said it was limited writhing on the ground and clutching your ankle - that's not in every players skill set

No I said "kicking, dribbling, heading and writhing on the ground clutching an ankle"

So you concede the only skills needed are heading, kicking and dribbling?

The writhing around comment was a reference to the previous posts, which concentrated on this part of soccer. Yet you had a go at my post?

No I said "kicking, dribbling, heading and writhing on the ground clutching an ankle"

So you concede the only skills needed are heading, kicking and dribbling?

The writhing around comment was a reference to the previous posts, which concentrated on this part of soccer. Yet you had a go at my post?
I aint no soccer fan, but you're clearly being called out on your panning of an entire sport based on the generic pot shots fired by yourself.

I aint no soccer fan, but you're clearly being called out on your panning of an entire sport based on the generic pot shots fired by yourself.

You're not making sense. Care to reword your sentence?

im_a_lazy_sod clearly misread my post (twice), and I answered his comments.

If anything I panned soccer fans who claim that their sport is more skilful than any others, when there are lots of sports (football, ice hockey, hockey, water polo etc) that have a much higher entry level skill requirement.

Soccer is immensely popular, not because of its skills, but because of its simplicity. Even the least coordinated kid can play soccer, and then can appreciate the skills of the stars.

You're not making sense. Care to reword your sentence?

im_a_lazy_sod clearly misread my post (twice), and I answered his comments.

If anything I panned soccer fans who claim that their sport is more skilful than any others, when there are lots of sports (football, ice hockey, hockey, water polo etc) that have a much higher entry level skill requirement.

Soccer is immensely popular, not because of its skills, but because of its simplicity. Even the least coordinated kid can play soccer, and then can appreciate the skills of the stars.
You're still generalising the skillset of an entire sport, there are structures and formations like any other team sport, including ours. Any sport can be poorly generalised and made to sound like rubbish if you don't understand it or aren't a fan of it, i've heard plenty of people talk the same way about AFL footy in the past.

You're still generalising the skillset of an entire sport, there are structures and formations like any other team sport, including ours. Any sport can be poorly generalised and made to sound like rubbish if you don't understand it or aren't a fan of it, i've heard plenty of people talk the same way about AFL footy in the past.

I grew up playing and watching soccer, and I think I understand it well enough. Yes I agree there is more to a sport than a limited set of skills.
In the same way that soccer isn't just dribbling, kicking and heading, footy isn't just the eight or so skills I mentioned in the post at the top of the page.
Again, I think I am rubbishing the majority of soccer fans I have met, including my own family, who claim that soccer is the more skilful sport. Which is a ridiculous claim.
Do you disagree with me that soccer is a low entry skill sport, compared to the ones I mentioned?

In a sport where Matt Priddis and Dane Swan are Brownlow medalists it's a big call to say AFL is more skillful sport than Soccer. Skill, touch, creativity are merely after thoughts in AFL these days, sadly. AFL is an effort athletic based game first which clubs are pretty confident they can turn athletes into great players. I'd love see Israel Falou and Karmichael Hunt pick up a soccer ball and try and play top level soccer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a sport where Matt Priddis and Dane Swan are Brownlow medalists it's a big call to say AFL is more skillful sport than Soccer. Skill, touch, creativity are merely after thoughts in AFL these days, sadly. AFL is an effort athletic based game first which clubs are pretty confident they can turn athletes into great players. I'd love see Israel Falou and Karmichael Hunt pick up a soccer ball and try and play top level soccer.

There is a reason why International Rules is played with a round ball and not an oval footy. The shape of our ball makes it a very difficult game to pick up.

There are positions in AFL where players outside footy can be trained to be useful: ruck, forwards and not much else. And there are positions where athletic ability aren't so important - Priddis' position for example.

But unless they grew up bouncing a football for every waking hour, there is no way an athlete could train to take the place of Stephen Hill. The skills involved are too sublime. For this reason I think your statement: "skill, touch, creativity are merely after thoughts in AFL these days,sadly" is completely wrong. If you were right, Daniel Bandy and Menengola would have been the stars of FFC, and not just also rans.

I think Folau and Hunt would have been at least as successful playing soccer as they were at playing AFL.

There is a reason why International Rules is played with a round ball and not an oval footy. The shape of our ball makes it a very difficult game to pick up.

There are positions in AFL where players outside footy can be trained to be useful: ruck, forwards and not much else. And there are positions where athletic ability aren't so important - Priddis' position for example.

But unless they grew up bouncing a football for every waking hour, there is no way an athlete could train to take the place of Stephen Hill. The skills involved are too sublime. For this reason I think your statement: "skill, touch, creativity are merely after thoughts in AFL these days,sadly" is completely wrong. If you were right, Daniel Bandy and Menengola would have been the stars of FFC, and not just also rans.

I think Folau and Hunt would have been at least as successful playing soccer as they were at playing AFL.

Have you seen Hanley run around?...come on, the ball isn't that hard to get used to or bounce.

I'm pro footy and they're completing different sports so I'm not going to argue further. Both require certain skills and attributes to be successful, and frankly AFL has a lot more variables which makes it a lot more interesting.

Have you seen Hanley run around?...come on, the ball isn't that hard to get used to or bounce.

I'm pro footy and they're completing different sports so I'm not going to argue further. Both require certain skills and attributes to be successful, and frankly AFL has a lot more variables which makes it a lot more interesting.
There's no doubt that ball control in soccer can be sublime and requires a lot of skill, as a result of not being able to possess and carry the ball by hand.

However, it does not make it the most skilful game in the world. One of the things about Australian football that elevates its skill is what players are able to do without the ball.

The very best, those players the calibre of Ablett, Judd and Fyfe, are able to make it look as if the ball works for them - that they are in control of the ball even when they don't have it.

Specifically 6:13

There's no doubt that ball control in soccer can be sublime and requires a lot of skill, as a result of not being able to possess and carry the ball by hand.

However, it does not make it the most skilful game in the world. One of the things about Australian football that elevates its skill is what players are able to do without the ball.

The very best, those players the calibre of Ablett, Judd and Fyfe, are able to make it look as if the ball works for them - that they are in control of the ball even when they don't have it.

Specifically 6:13

I just watched the video. Man Fyfe was unbelievable that game. Especially the last quarter.

Completely disagree. It requires greater skill to control a ball without the use of your hands than with them. Not saying it doesn't required skill to play AFL but if you spent 10mins on youtube looking at the in game ball control some soccer stars have you couldn't possible believe AFL is more skillful.

Completely disagree. It requires greater skill to control a ball without the use of your hands than with them. Not saying it doesn't required skill to play AFL but if you spent 10mins on youtube looking at the in game ball control some soccer stars have you couldn't possible believe AFL is more skillful.
I'm a believer that if AFL was the world game we would see equally skillful displays of ball use.
Soccer has the entire world to draw on to find these skillful players.

Just as a point though, I wouldn't mention how easy it is to find people working a soccerball around skillfully and also say that it shows how hard it is to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back