NRL 2014 NRL Grand Final: South Sydney v Canterbury-Bankstown

Remove this Banner Ad

He was brilliant to keep playing, but how was Burgess allowed to not have that blood seen to?

Broke his cheekbone in the first tackle apparently but kept on trucking.

Probably looking like this now, a few beers will soothe the pain.

rocky510.jpg

Credit to the Souths admin for signing GI, people criticised them for spending so much coin on a guy that was apparently past his prime and had injury troubles but he's worth every penny.

His ability to stand up in big moments and find the try line is second to none, only Slater, Thurston and Brett "The Snake" Stewart can compete with him.

Considering how aware they are to clean up any blood, it was clearly fresh. Bleeding from the mouth and nose all game and nothing was done about it.

Yeh, fair point, neither are open, exposed wounds maybe? I know in AFL its active bleeding, so if your nose is trickling or there is a bit of blood dribbled it can slide. Also remember its easy to see with 150 HD cameras on him opposed to refs trying to look at 30 other blokes.

The Refs couldn't let the biggest game of the season end without another terrible forward pass decision :p

That said, what a great night for Rugby League. Its biggest crowd in years as its biggest club completes its resurrection from oblivion.

The match itself was not one of the great Grand Finals, but Sam Burgess's Clive Churchill Medal with a broken cheekbone will join Satts's efforts in Premiership number 19 in Grand Final folklore.

Well done Souths. Tonight was one of the most remarkable nights in your history (Piggins being there was the icing on the Cardinal and Myrtle cake). Canterbury can hold their heads high on making the Grand Final from 7th. Tonight they were occasionally dirty, often uninspired, but always brutal and uncompromising.

But, even as a Parramatta fan, there is much pleasure in the Rugby League fan yelling to the night sky

GLORY GLORY TO SOUTH SYDNEY!!!!

Last edited:
Pretty disappointed but credit to Souths. The best team all year and deserved premiers.

Massive rugby noob here...

I flicked over to GEM and saw some rugby game going on and I noticed a Telstra Ad saying "We love finals footy!"

Since when is rugby called footy? No disrespect here, but when did they start calling it football?

No troll here, just curious.

Since about 1908.

I was at both grand finals this year. AFL have a lot to learn from the NRL from a production standpoint. It was pretty awesome tonight.
Yes, the ringing of a bell into a microphone for five minutes was quality entertainment. Topped only by the gibbering idiot of an announcer pre-game, who couldn't string two words together.

The game itself was an involving battle, until the last 15 minutes, and then a veritable orgy of exciting play ensued, as the Bulldogs ran out of legs. Not as good as last year as a spectacle, but entertaining nevertheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, the ringing of a bell into a microphone for five minutes was quality entertainment. Topped only by the gibbering idiot of an announcer pre-game, who couldn't string two words together.

The game itself was an involving battle, until the last 15 minutes, and then a veritable orgy of exciting play ensued, as the Bulldogs ran out of legs. Not as good as last year as a spectacle, but entertaining nevertheless.

Were you at ANZ tonight?

In the burrow during the match (thanks so much to my second family for getting me a spare ticket in there) and at the Souths Juniors after the match. Mental scenes.

Full credit to the bulldogs supporters for their enthusiasm, went to check out Burwood Rd on Saturday, it was crazy.

GI's ability to get metres in a crowded field is criminally underratted, so rarely gets taken down and always makes metres. People talk about his ability in clear field and one on one but he is immense even in a 3 on 1 tackle.
Yes, was a huge difference when compared with the Bulldogs. Kick returns especially, Inglis much like Minichiello in his prime just seems to beat the first tackle, get that extra 5-10 metres, where as Perrett is pretty easily contained, and it just over the match helped souths get a better roll on.

I enjoyed the game, I reckon George Burgess was pretty close to MOTM tbh, he was outstanding, but can't fault them giving it to Sam. Fractured cheekbone first tackle and played on, threw himself into everything, copped a few hits. Him and Inglis have been two of the best buys of all time I'd suggest, the amount they've done for that club.

Pretty stellar atmosphere as well. As Francis Leach pointed out, it really is the peoples grand final, the crowd was dominated by supporters, it was excellent.

I was at both grand finals this year. AFL have a lot to learn from the NRL from a production standpoint. It was pretty awesome tonight.

The NRL generally do the pregame stuff better. The AFL have sold out the GF as a corporate event. As a Grandfinal the NRL had all the promise of a great clash. The S-S story had captured the sporting publics imagination. C-B are a strong, well supported club. The game was always going to be well supported at the ground & watched on TV. The Game certainly fulfilled the publics expectations.

I did get sick of Rabbit Warren carrying on about the crowd in the grounds current configu-bloody-ration.

Me too! Not to mention ignoring the exciting Junior Warriors game for lengthy periods to drone on about Wayne ****ing Bennett!

2014 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final breaks records

The NRL said this year’s Grand Final between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs broke records to be one of the most successful in the history of Rugby League.

And NRL Chief Executive Dave Smith today thanked fans for throwing their support behind a magnificent match up between two traditional rivals and across the entire Finals Series.

Link

watched the game at souths juniors. was a pretty electric atmosphere, but surprisingly the club was only half full - I imagine there was a lot of supporters the game and at redfern oval.

was buzzing after the game as you can expect. even though stricly not a souths fan the "South Sydney" chant when the guys came back to the club and were presented was something i'll never forget.

the only downside was security was massive overkill.

well done bunnies - an epic story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back