8. Wilston Grange
9. Sandgate
10. UQ

Gold Coast Son

Draftee
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Heard Aaron Rodgers has left the Panthers (maybe to GC suns?).... Word is David Lake "could" take over? Apparently UNI have snagged a pretty experienced coaching group but not sure who that is made up of but think last year's Senior Coach is still there.

Heard Palm Beach are recruiting hard, will be interesting to see who goes where and what club's get lucky with the likely hood of players moving around a fair bit. Think Mt Gravatt might go better than expected but not sure who they have lost/kept. Interesting times ahead.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wayne Pettard to be announced as Broadbeach Cats coach shortly. A handful of Palm Beach premiership team on the move to most likely Coolangatta due to having no interest in committing to the QAFL. There will be a hell of a lot of player movement I would think even into the new year once Aspley Southport and Redlands finalise there lists.
Expect double headers etc next yr with Southport Labrador and Broadbeach involved

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah think ppl underestimate the QAFL comp a little - I know when it was put to our guys that it would involve 3x wk training it wasn't necessarily "embraced". It will be a good comp but require a fair commitment from the playing group and coaches that isn't necessarily something that is that common in Qld football once you move from the top level! Is Hawkins still coaching there Dog? Any word on whether Cresswell got the nod at PBC or is he moving on too?

Bungles13

Debutant
Aug 26, 2013
Hawthorne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funny you mention that I was in a cafe in Brisbane just yesterday and spotted Creswell and Leppietch having a coffee, not sure weather they are mates or they were in conversation about next year!

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah think ppl underestimate the QAFL comp a little - I know when it was put to our guys that it would involve 3x wk training it wasn't necessarily "embraced". It will be a good comp but require a fair commitment from the playing group and coaches that isn't necessarily something that is that common in Qld football once you move from the top level! Is Hawkins still coaching there Dog? Any word on whether Cresswell got the nod at PBC or is he moving on too?
Yep doug keen as mustard about next yr, they will be active in recruitment. Not sure about Creswell. Still a lot of unanswered questions about all levels of new comp. It would be great if AfLQ could continue to update the web with info. Springwood Facebook page is well worth the read on reasons as to why the didn't apply

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah that is good Dog re the Pumas. Have to admit this was the resulting thinking from maroochydore as well although we didn't pull our application, it just wasn't accepted on the finance pillar (and fair enough too). Some of the QAFL clubs will be spending upwards of $60K on player payments I imagine - damn hard to compete with that if it is already 2.5x your current budget unless a white knight appears. Reckon it gets back to making sure that the ego doesn't get in the road when deciding these things - always difficult bc its not really a business we are in as there is far too much emotion attached the decision making and minimal accountability to really be called a business.

Bungles13

Debutant
Aug 26, 2013
Hawthorne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We'll lads as it has it I was actually in a cafe in Oxford st Bris where I spotted Leppeitch having a coffee with Creswell, not sure if they are mates or if it was about next year, but as Creswell left I overheard him say I'll get back to you next week, interesting!! Can't believe Springwood are not in new competition after a stunning year, must be heart breaking for the players. Anyone know if Proud or Hooper will leave??9

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would be more heart breaking for club people Bungles if the Pumas did go into the QAFL unprepared and f'd it up. Players are only one part of the thinking, most are just moving through so to speak, some for 1 yr, others for 10 yrs but moving thru all the same. Most important consideration a club committee can make with decision making is what is best for the club as a whole, not just the players at that point in time. Always hard, I'm sure Pumas will lose a few but the south division has a lot of good teams and the provision is there for clubs to move up if they are good enough in years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bungles13

Debutant
Aug 26, 2013
Hawthorne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha like it Smy, now that would make a good storyline!
Any news on who might be coaching the mighty pies, I hear McLennan is back in some sort of role, I reckon Corrie would make a very good coach did a fabulous job with the 18s this year.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree that Corrie would be a good choice - I don't reckon he will play again despite winning the goal kicking this year, his back end wasn't that flash and this new comp will be up a level in standard. Think they will go McLennan though, tried and trusted.

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree that Corrie would be a good choice - I don't reckon he will play again despite winning the goal kicking this year, his back end wasn't that flash and this new comp will be up a level in standard. Think they will go McLennan though, tried and trusted.
Mclennan wont be coach, is heading up a revamped footy board.

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We'll lads as it has it I was actually in a cafe in Oxford st Bris where I spotted Leppeitch having a coffee with Creswell, not sure if they are mates or if it was about next year, but as Creswell left I overheard him say I'll get back to you next week, interesting!! Can't believe Springwood are not in new competition after a stunning year, must be heart breaking for the players. Anyone know if Proud or Hooper will leave??9
dont reckon Creswell would be allowed back at the Lions unless he has repaid his debts......

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Then reckon Corrie will be right in the mix imo Speedy (if he wanted to).

maybe all Leppa was doing was asking him if he was paying for the coffee?:p

Bungles13

Debutant
Aug 26, 2013
Hawthorne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see no NQ team in NEAFL not a shock however!
We had a great comp last year in SEQAFL, I don't believe this will be the same this year, Labrador throwing around huge money and Morningside we'll have a great junior program!!
Very concerning for teams such as UQ, Sandgate etc.

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cresswell is coaching Palmy, most players will stat and wont go down to play at cooly
David Lake to coach Morningside, pretty good appointment......thoughts? any other appointments?
1. Morningside - Lake
2. Broadbeach - Pettard
3. Labrador - Daniels
4. PBC - Cresswell?
5. Western Magpies - Pending
6. Mt Gravatt - Pennding
7. Surfers - Zorko
8. Wilston Grange - Trewella
9. Sandgate - Pending
10. UQ - not sure?

kwhit

Team Captain
Mar 17, 2011
brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
David Lake to coach Morningside, pretty good appointment......thoughts? any other appointments?
1. Morningside - Lake
2. Broadbeach - Pettard
3. Labrador - Daniels
4. PBC - Cresswell?
5. Western Magpies - Pending
6. Mt Gravatt - Pennding
7. Surfers - Zorko
8. Wilston Grange - Trewella
9. Sandgate - Pending
10. UQ - not sure?

Will Paul Grentell go for the job at Sherwood or is he content at Brisbane?

Bungles13

Debutant
Aug 26, 2013
Hawthorne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will Paul Grentell go for the job at Sherwood or is he content at Brisbane?
I believe Kwhit that he's involved in academy sessions for our younger payers before Xmas, which sounds promising, but my info is that Anthony Corrie is very close to accepting the role which we hope will draw new payers and no doubt develop the younger generation as he did this year in his role as 18s coach.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
David Lake is a great appointment for the Panthers. Even if they loose a few players, their depth in all grades is exceptional, and they should blast this new comp away in all grades next season.
This AFLQ restructure is looking a dismal failure, in all levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back