2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

You will find smy, that our top juniors have gone to either Broadbeach and Southport to further their football. Brock Askey, Stephen Thyne both were regulars at Southport with Tyler Cornish topping up once state duties where complete. Nick Burton chipped in for a handful of games in Broadbeach's senior side and I'm sure stuyd will confirm probably should have played a lot more. PBC high school took out there 3? straight Jonathon Brown cup with the vast majority of them playing at Palmy! So as you can see we have a number of talented kids that have come and are coming through he ranks, and once Southport have finalised its list you may see a number of them coming back! I hope this answers your question smy..
kwhit,
agree, young Burton was very good in the games he played , being in the best 6 players on the day a few times, then got injured.

Young Shaun Wilson played a few senior games at the cats as well. I also thought young McNeven at southport was a palmy junior. Burton was a regular senior player this year until injured. Jesse Derrick a junior as well. I reckon the comment about no juniors going up the ranks was a bit unfair

?? - one player in their senior side was named 2010?? How is my comment unfair?

?? - one player in their senior side was named 2010?? How is my comment unfair?

I miss understood your comment as well then smy. If you are talking about how many juniors were in the premiership side last year I will rattle of a few.
Angus Munro
Jesse Derrick
Matt Derrick
David Manning
Matt Carol
Tyson Dyer
Tommy Thynne
Brent Pearson.
Not a bad result for local talent!

Gold Coast Bulletin today reports Southport have recruited a afl player, have retained most of their current top players, and have recruited Grayson, Goldsmith, and Cooke from Labrador... To top it off, have recruited Brewer, Shreeve, Brennan,Burton and are negotiating with Geary and Stewart,, all from Broadbeach. Now, this puts a huge hole into Broadys top playing group and brings them back to the field in the restructured comp for 2014... just maybe, there wont be as many floggings as most of us have been predicting in earlier posts.Will be extremely interesting to see what clubs recruit well, especially from the players that don't make the 35 player list at the Sharks ,Redland,and Aspley and the 12 or so players that don't get selected from these 3 NEAFL clubs on a home and away game basis.

Gold Coast Bulletin today reports Southport have recruited a afl player, have retained most of their current top players, and have recruited Grayson, Goldsmith, and Cooke from Labrador... To top it off, have recruited Brewer, Shreeve, Brennan,Burton and are negotiating with Geary and Stewart,, all from Broadbeach. Now, this puts a huge hole into Broadys top playing group and brings them back to the field in the restructured comp for 2014... just maybe, there wont be as many floggings as most of us have been predicting in earlier posts.Will be extremely interesting to see what clubs recruit well, especially from the players that don't make the 35 player list at the Sharks ,Redland,and Aspley and the 12 or so players that don't get selected from these 3 NEAFL clubs on a home and away game basis.

sorry, that's a VFL player, ex Frankston,,,, not a AFL player.

Which is the whole idea of rationalising the comp back in numbers Stuy - confine the talent to a few clubs rather than many. This way the Suns/Lions will actually have competitive games and recruiters can start comparing apples to apples when trying to look at blokes in the VFL / SANFL vs NEAFL. If a young bloke can get a kick in this comp next year, reckon he will be on the radar straight away.

Which is the whole idea of rationalising the comp back in numbers Stuy - confine the talent to a few clubs rather than many. This way the Suns/Lions will actually have competitive games and recruiters can start comparing apples to apples when trying to look at blokes in the VFL / SANFL vs NEAFL. If a young bloke can get a kick in this comp next year, reckon he will be on the radar straight away.

SMY,
yeah, agree with your comments. I must now admit, the NEAFL comp in 2014, will be of a very high standard,especially between the AFL reserve teams and the local clubs, be it Southport, Aspley,and Redlands,,,,, will be great footy to watch.

I think what it does do too is provide a legitimate premier comp in the state. You will have to be a very, very good footballer to be a part of it, which is a good thing I reckon. And the QAFL looks like it will be a real quality 2nd tier comp as well with good crowds (I predict), and good footy among blokes who potentially could play at the level above but just can't be bothered with the extra commitment. Thats fine too I reckon.

I think what it does do too is provide a legitimate premier comp in the state. You will have to be a very, very good footballer to be a part of it, which is a good thing I reckon. And the QAFL looks like it will be a real quality 2nd tier comp as well with good crowds (I predict), and good footy among blokes who potentially could play at the level above but just can't be bothered with the extra commitment. Thats fine too I reckon.

SMY,
not to mention that the QAFL clubs will gain the players that don't make the final 35 list, and gain the players on the 35 list that are not selected on a home and away game basis.
This should improve the QAFL standard as well...... Just maybe Conlan and his team may prove our original thoughts on the restructure wrong.

SMY,
not to mention that the QAFL clubs will gain the players that don't make the final 35 list, and gain the players on the 35 list that are not selected on a home and away game basis.
This should improve the QAFL standard as well...... Just maybe Conlan and his team may prove our original thoughts on the restructure wrong.

Ultimately the clubs without significant pokie revenue are unsustainable in a comp that will ultimately be 400k + to compete in. From that point of view a restructure was inevitable. The NEAFL will step up in standard (in qld anyway) which is obviously desirable and the new qafl will be fun and hopefully well supported.

The result may be fine but the concern for most was the lack of consultation and the way it was presented to clubs. Also the lack of a plan re: under 18's and with the rules of the new competition.

Time will tell as to the ultimate success of the new set up as there are plenty of whispers that the Canberra sides aren't happy playing in a comp where winning is a pipedream and even finals very unlikely for some. Reports of financial squeeze and player losses coming there. How that plays out will be interesting.

Also how UQ eg go against morningside for example will also be interesting.

True that, This years premeirship side contained Juniors such as Schiender, Munro, Pearson. Thynne, Manning and both the Derricks, at least 1 third of the side... And will possibly regain 3 to 5 from neafl clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dezario - is Blake any relation to Paddy Schneider??

2010 - reckon the Eastern conference will be diminished by 2-3 sides as well in 2015 for the exact reasons you mentioned really. The problem down there may be an alternative comp for these clubs to play in - fortunately in Qld we had enough clubs underneath (playing in the QAFL) that can sustain a very decent comp. No idea if Canberra/Sydney can without the 2 AFL sides + the 2 best suited Canberra clubs (who would that be - imagine Ainslie)? and maybe 1 Sydney team?

UQ is the obvious black sheep in the QAFL but there will be promotion/relegation so in time will even out. In both the AP comp this year it wasn't exactly even from top to bottom!

Dezario - is Blake any relation to Paddy Schneider??

2010 - reckon the Eastern conference will be diminished by 2-3 sides as well in 2015 for the exact reasons you mentioned really. The problem down there may be an alternative comp for these clubs to play in - fortunately in Qld we had enough clubs underneath (playing in the QAFL) that can sustain a very decent comp. No idea if Canberra/Sydney can without the 2 AFL sides + the 2 best suited Canberra clubs (who would that be - imagine Ainslie)? and maybe 1 Sydney team?

UQ is the obvious black sheep in the QAFL but there will be promotion/relegation so in time will even out. In both the AP comp this year it wasn't exactly even from top to bottom!

smy,
agree... huge issues for Aussie rules footy in Act and Sydney due to the restructures. See Eastkake have lost 6 players to Walbundrie. This includes 3 guns, Kimball, Roulstone and Mesman.Walbundrie compete in the Hume football League, a strong minor comp where the standard is not to far away from the QAFL standard.Walbundrie is about 30 minutes drive from Albury, and about 3 and a half hours drive from canberra,,, geez, that's a lot of time on the road for these Eastlake boys.Must be some good bucks in the deal ...

smy,
agree... huge issues for Aussie rules footy in Act and Sydney due to the restructures. See Eastkake have lost 6 players to Walbundrie. This includes 3 guns, Kimball, Roulstone and Mesman.Walbundrie compete in the Hume football League, a strong minor comp where the standard is not to far away from the QAFL standard.Walbundrie is about 30 minutes drive from Albury, and about 3 and a half hours drive from canberra,,, geez, that's a lot of time on the road for these Eastlake boys.Must be some good bucks in the deal ...

Just to explain... the Hume League comp consists of some 14 clubs. They are small rural towns within a radius of some 60 klms from Albury.The largest town would be Howlong, some 30 klms west of Albury with a population of 2000. Lockhart, some 60/70 klms away has about 1000 population.Walla walla,and jindera has about a 600 population The rest of the clubs are tiny villages that have a pub, grocery store and petrol station. Yet, come game day, they field a senior side, reserve grade , under 17s and under 14s teams, and have womens netball sides be it A grade, B grade, and age teams. These clubs raise the majority of their funds by way of having crops and livestock as their main source of income.Thus for small communities they are fairly cashed up. They recruit a lot of Ovens and Murray players nearing the end of their careers at O&M level, and a lot of O&M fringe players/good reserve grade players , who might be getting $20 bucks a game, but get $100 bucks a game in the Hume league and play seniors.
Its a way of life down there, and at the Grand Final they had a crowd of approx. 6000 people/just unreal stuff.

any word on Heffernan Roper now going to Grange? loves a clearance form.....
any other new players or losses around the place?

Why is Morningside being so highly touted so far? From the side that played in the NEAFL finals last year they've lost Buntain, Clarke, Cummins, Joyce, Lake, Smith, Starcevich, Wallin, Williams and Wolbers... that's just about half their team gone plus any others I might have missed?

Why is Morningside being so highly touted so far? From the side that played in the NEAFL finals last year they've lost Buntain, Clarke, Cummins, Joyce, Lake, Smith, Starcevich, Wallin, Williams and Wolbers... that's just about half their team gone plus any others I might have missed?

Good point. Shelton, Abbey, Upton, Kinch etc aren't getting any younger either. Still they had great depth coming through their ressies and U18 teams so if they hold onto all of those fringe players they will still be strong.

thought lake would stay isnt his dad coaching?
is it just me or is it weird that lake is coaching Mside? 3 years ago no one there had very nice things to say about him? think he will do a good job though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back