2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Will be better than good Stuy - will be a gun at QFA level. But I do agree - his presence will be major but there will need to be others around him. Although they have picked up Copeland as well...
Pretty sure there will be a few clubs up for the challenge though (and certain players - good to see a Jack Gale/Michael Roberts/Jackson Ryan go head to head with him or a Daley. Will be good for the comp imo.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Noosa still had Buntain, then I'd have backed them over Mayne as the favs.

But despite inclusion of Copeland and Moloney, its a reasonable gap that needs to be closed.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disagree QAFL - Noosa were 1 decent footballer away from beating Mayne in the GF this year - a really good defender would have freed Buntain up to attack more. They were in front at 3/4 time, you do know?? I would suggest Copeland for Buntain is a fair exchange, Moloney if he stays fit puts them in front with this years team. Tromph moving to Victoria, couple of others going but they will still be a really good side imo. The preseason is still young, plenty of player movement still to occur.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You think Aspley will come back Damo?? I reckon if the 3 teams were to come back then a salary cap would be in place for sure or a points system

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disagree QAFL - Noosa were 1 decent footballer away from beating Mayne in the GF this year - a really good defender would have freed Buntain up to attack more. They were in front at 3/4 time, you do know?? I would suggest Copeland for Buntain is a fair exchange, Moloney if he stays fit puts them in front with this years team. Tromph moving to Victoria, couple of others going but they will still be a really good side imo. The preseason is still young, plenty of player movement still to occur.

Aware of the GF and it being surprisingly close, but the gap was larger than just that one game.

Mayne were no doubt nervous, but when the game needed to be won, they flicked the switch and ran out comfortable winners in the end.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
i wouldn't be surprised if after next year there will be 1 neafl club back in the qafl if not all
Just a wild guess, but from my info, Redland are not so comfortable at the moment. Not suggesting anything at all, just commenting because of feedback I have received on the grapevine.This feedback may be true and it maybe completely wrong.!!!

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just a wild guess, but from my info, Redland are not so comfortable at the moment. Not suggesting anything at all, just commenting because of feedback I have received on the grapevine.This feedback may be true and it maybe completely wrong.!!!

stuyd1,

I am getting the same uneasy feedback at the Hornets, considering the losses the Hornets have had this year TOO DATE, Mathews, Lucy, Turner, Copeland, etc, there seems to be a lack of stand up recruits or signings to date (according to my sources around the club) to compensate for these very substantial losses - This will not the stop the reigning Premiers from competing in the NEAFL again this year, but I just have a feeling there could be a few more moving on if things don't change and change soon, which could be a good thing for the young fellas at the club moving forward - Back to Back Flags might a bit of a pipe dream though, as JB and MP will need to pull a big rabbit out of the hat if the worst of the rumors/current talk happening occurs.

I also heard that the long serving President of the Hornets Tony Tucker, had opted to not stand for re-election to continue due to family reasons and a new President in Lance Parsons was elected at the recent AGM, Tony will be remembered for his great dedication along with his board of directors over those years in control, in building the club to it current lofty heights, due to his tenure over the past 12 years or so at the helm and Lance will set in place a new legacy for the club moving forward, that I am sure all other sporting clubs will envy throughout Australia.

MajorPayne

Senior List
Jul 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
stuyd1,

I am getting the same uneasy feedback at the Hornets, considering the losses the Hornets have had this year TOO DATE, Mathews, Lucy, Turner, Copeland, etc, there seems to be a lack of stand up recruits or signings to date (according to my sources around the club) to compensate for these very substantial losses - This will not the stop the reigning Premiers from competing in the NEAFL again this year, but I just have a feeling there could be a few more moving on if things don't change and change soon, which could be a good thing for the young fellas at the club moving forward - Back to Back Flags might a bit of a pipe dream though, as JB and MP will need to pull a big rabbit out of the hat if the worst of the rumors/current talk happening occurs.

I also heard that the long serving President of the Hornets Tony Tucker, had opted to not stand for re-election to continue due to family reasons and a new President in Lance Parsons was elected at the recent AGM, Tony will be remembered for his great dedication along with his board of directors over those years in control, in building the club to it current lofty heights, due to his tenure over the past 12 years or so at the helm and Lance will set in place a new legacy for the club moving forward, that I am sure all other sporting clubs will envy throughout Australia.

You sounds like a club spokesman...

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
You sounds like a club spokesman...

MajorPayne,

Far from it - Just a passionate footy supporter from the North side of the river, who through the footy network has a reasonable finger on the pulse of all things footy at the Hornets - Interesting that Bushy and Brett have bypassed the QAFL to put Noosa on the map and hopefully bring them a flag in 2015. Are there cracks appearing in what's on offer at QAFL level in regard to remuneration for effort, or are we kidding ourselves still and telling all comers that we all still play for the jumper?????

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
stuyd1,

Billy, im not sure how accurate your info is, but i dont think the hornets have had any trouble attracting new players.

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
MajorPayne,

Far from it - Just a passionate footy supporter from the North side of the river, who through the footy network has a reasonable finger on the pulse of all things footy at the Hornets - Interesting that Bushy and Brett have bypassed the QAFL to put Noosa on the map and hopefully bring them a flag in 2015. Are there cracks appearing in what's on offer at QAFL level in regard to remuneration for effort, or are we kidding ourselves still and telling all comers that we all still play for the jumper?????

Moloney would be one of the best paid players outside of the afl ! And don't think reckon Bushy is playing for peanuts, its just the QAFL clubs cant afford or offer services that Noosa are capable of! Simple as that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
stuyd1,

Billy, interesting you say that. Think that Southport are in the same boat as well as Redlands.And have no doubt the remaining ACT and Sydney clubs are worried.We are seeing many players this off season leaving the NEAFL comp, moving to lesser standard comps, because as semi professionals they just cannot afford the time off work to train and play at this level and with structure of the comp the travel component is killing these guys.
I give you one example;
I spoke with delisted Lions player in Daniel Druzfer this week who has played the past 2 seasons with Redlands. We know he is a very good player in the NEAFL comp, but he has left the club and is returning to his home club be it Marchydoore. His match payments will be half of what he was getting paid by Redlands, which doesn't worry him as he just wants to enjoy his footy and not have the commitments the NEAFL comp demands.
He has nothing against Redlands, in fact he loves the club.The issue is the Neafl structure.
This is only one example of a huge player exodus from all clubs in the NEAFL.Especially the ACT clubs.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Billy, im not sure how accurate your info is, but i dont think the hornets have had any trouble attracting new players.

BigE,

Yes, they are lining up to play at the Hornets, but it is the quality at the moment in the line that may be the problem, the losses at the club TOO DATE that I mentioned in my earlier post are quality players and I am hearing that the exodus has not finished, The 4 AFL Clubs have finally IMO recruited some experience along with their traditional youth, which now sees them to be well equipped to be very competitive in the NEAFL Comp, If the three Qld NEAFL sides don't recruit quality players (which I am not hearing about on the jungle drums), then it may well be a very long season unless their youth rises to the top, which IMO is a very big ask.

For the NEAFL's sake , I hope I am wrong, but with the other very good posts relating to all clubs regarding the commitment of time required with training, travel, etc it is becoming very difficult to juggle these requirements around a home life and producing an income stream to support this.
The factors above in time may in time be a big gain to the QAFL State League and beyond.

Last edited:

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Billy, interesting you say that. Think that Southport are in the same boat as well as Redlands.And have no doubt the remaining ACT and Sydney clubs are worried.We are seeing many players this off season leaving the NEAFL comp, moving to lesser standard comps, because as semi professionals they just cannot afford the time off work to train and play at this level and with structure of the comp the travel component is killing these guys.
I give you one example;
I spoke with delisted Lions player in Daniel Druzfer this week who has played the past 2 seasons with Redlands. We know he is a very good player in the NEAFL comp, but he has left the club and is returning to his home club be it Marchydoore. His match payments will be half of what he was getting paid by Redlands, which doesn't worry him as he just wants to enjoy his footy and not have the commitments the NEAFL comp demands.
He has nothing against Redlands, in fact he loves the club.The issue is the Neafl structure.
This is only one example of a huge player exodus from all clubs in the NEAFL.Especially the ACT clubs.

Caloundra might have something to say about that Stuy - Daniel has never pulled the Roos jumper on as a junior..

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No big deal BB - you will find that in Vic there are many blokes who don't play in the VFL bc of the reasons you outlined but are easily good enough to. Where do they play?? The next levels down be it in the EDFL or the EFL or the O&M plus other good country leagues. The VFL and other 2nd level comps are about producing draftable players, not whether the best players are playing there - 2 different things.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
BigE,

Yes, they are lining up to play at the Hornets, but it is the quality at the moment in the line that may be the problem, the losses at the club TOO DATE that I mentioned in my earlier post are quality players and I am hearing that the exodus has not finished, The 4 AFL Clubs have finally IMO recruited some experience along with their traditional youth, which now sees them to be well equipped to be very competitive in the NEAFL Comp, If the three Qld NEAFL sides don't recruit quality players (which I am not hearing about on the jungle drums), then it may well be a very long season unless their youth rises to the top, which IMO is a very big ask.

For the NEAFL's sake , I hope I am wrong, but with the other very good posts relating to all clubs regarding the commitment of time required with training, travel, etc it is becoming very difficult to juggle these requirements around a home life and producing an income stream to support this.
The factors above in time may in time be a big gain to the QAFL State League and beyond.

BB, agree, the writings on the wall already.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
NEAFL...

Dead in the water, prepare for another re-structure in the next 24 months to re-integrate Southport, Redlands and Aspley back into the QAFL.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
NEAFL...

Dead in the water, prepare for another re-structure in the next 24 months to re-integrate Southport, Redlands and Aspley back into the QAFL.

Hope you are wrong. Those clubs would obliterate the QAFL. The weaker QAFL clubs would have to drop down again so you'd end up with the old neafl nth conference minus nt and afl teams, probably add pbc and maybe magpies and grange. Annoying

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
if you give anything time, it will even out.

Excluding the NEAFL, I quite like the current structure. Get those 3 clubs back into the QAFL, but shedding some players back to their original clubs and the structure would be good.

Then once the leagues are all bedded down nicely, introduce promotion./relegation.

MajorPayne

Senior List
Jul 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
if you give anything time, it will even out.

Excluding the NEAFL, I quite like the current structure. Get those 3 clubs back into the QAFL, but shedding some players back to their original clubs and the structure would be good.

Then once the leagues are all bedded down nicely, introduce promotion./relegation.

Promotion/relegation would be hard work. Coomera two years ago won the QAFA A comp convincingly, they were a level above all other sides. Went up this year and won one game. The gap is too great, why would a club want to go up, from premiers to spoon.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
they went up this year to a a far superior comp than the year before though.

They went from QAFA A 2013 to QFA South 2014. The equivalent of QFA South in 2013 was Div 2, but QFA South 2014 had several 2013 Div 1 clubs, including a Grand Finalist - so it was an unusual circumstance.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Hope you are wrong. Those clubs would obliterate the QAFL. The weaker QAFL clubs would have to drop down again so you'd end up with the old neafl nth conference minus nt and afl teams, probably add pbc and maybe magpies and grange. Annoying

i doubt that. southport missed the finals in the first year of the neafl with a stacked side. aspley ran second last in the second year of it with a decent side. plus if these clubs come back to the qafl. the players that left the clubs in the qafl to go to the neafl. would more than likely go back to their original club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back