2014 QFA Northern Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprised North Brisbane Lions got knocked back. It sails way too close to the Brisbane Lions trademark, which I'm pretty sure is held by the AFL. Personally, I don't like it anyway. Burpengary is 20 kilometres north of the northern border of Brisbane City Council, so it's a bit of a stretch to consider it 'North Brisbane'.

The only way I could see it getting up is if the Brisbane Lions accepted the Moreton Bay Council's offer to base their training and admin at Burpengary, and we somehow became affiliated with them. Doubtful though, with QSAC looking the early favourite on that front.

Not surprised North Brisbane Lions got knocked back. It sails way too close to the Brisbane Lions trademark, which I'm pretty sure is held by the AFL. Personally, I don't like it anyway. Burpengary is 20 kilometres north of the northern border of Brisbane City Council, so it's a bit of a stretch to consider it 'North Brisbane'.

The only way I could see it getting up is if the Brisbane Lions accepted the Moreton Bay Council's offer to base their training and admin at Burpengary, and we somehow became affiliated with them. Doubtful though, with QSAC looking the early favourite on that front.
you should go with the mud crabs! awesome name. lions is over done!

I like the Moreton Bay Lions personally
There are quite a few clubs with a presence in the Moreton Bay region. To call a local team the name of the region is more than a little bit arrogant in my opinion. Sure Redcliffe and Caboolture were the same names as the previous shire but they were also suburb names.

OR we could have the Moreton Bay Falcons, Moreton Bay Swans, Moreton Bay Tigers, Moreton Bay Hornets (Brendale), Moreton Bay Crows, Moreton Bay Meteors.... You get the idea.

Don't get me started on Greater Northern!

How about Caboolture Lions or Burpengary Lions?

Moreton Bay Tigers? Already got 2 clubs carrying the Tigers emblem think they wouldn't take that path nor they should

Given they don't play top tier football, anything but a suburban name is over the top really.

My personal view is that unless you're in the QAFL, then you should have a suburban name.

South East Suns in QAFA and now potentially Moreton Bay Lions in the QFA is a bit dumb.

I remember when Jimboomba Redbacks were the Southern Redbacks, and it just made no sense whatsoever.

and yes, I am aware this contradicts my earlier comment regarding Western Magpies, but I've thought about it more now and at least they are the representative side of Western Brisbane in the QAFL.

Given they don't play top tier football, anything but a suburban name is over the top really.

My personal view is that unless you're in the QAFL, then you should have a suburban name.

South East Suns in QAFA and now potentially Moreton Bay Lions in the QFA is a bit dumb.

I remember when Jimboomba Redbacks were the Southern Redbacks, and it just made no sense whatsoever.

and yes, I am aware this contradicts my earlier comment regarding Western Magpies, but I've thought about it more now and at least they are the representative side of Western Brisbane in the QAFL.

Good thing there isn't another club just down the road in St Lucia which could also be representative of the Western Suburbs!

I remember when Caboolture were the "Southern Districts".

Given there isn't currently any Moreton Bay Regional Council based football clubs playing in any form higher than QAFA North I suppose Caboolture would be the representative club.

Moreton Bay Tigers? Already got 2 clubs carrying the Tigers emblem think they wouldn't take that path nor they should
Was said with some sarcasm Tiger G. If you look at the 'mascots' you'll see that they are all taken by other Moreton Bay Council area teams.

Sherwood play at Chelmer. Aspley ply at Carseldine. Mayne and Everton play at Enoggera. Sandgate play at Taigum. Why can't it just be Caboolture playing at Burpengary?

I remember when Caboolture were the "Southern Districts".

Given there isn't currently any Moreton Bay Regional Council based football clubs playing in any form higher than QAFA North I suppose Caboolture would be the representative club.
I think they are being set up to represent the region too, got the new facilities play in the highest league excluding QAFL.They got the gun coach with a few players to follow slowly setting themselves for something big and good luck to them. Who knows just maybe the other clubs such as Redcliffe, Pine Rivers etc no offence to them are just not ready for grand progression or maybe never will, any possibility of any those clubs merging with Caboolture?

Kenmore also plays at Chelmer!
Traditionally country footy teams represented and carried the name of the town that their home ground was in. However, that has changed since West Coast Eagles entered the AFL, then Western Bulldogs at Footscray, GWS, and on the local front Western Magpies to name a few. I see good reasons why Caboolture want to change to Moreton Bay Lions and support it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me crazy but caboolture could be aboriginal for snake. every other club up there are the snakes ! why not go with that!

Good deduction AM!! And you are spot on! It does. Issue would be trying to work out the Caboolture Snakes from the RL team etc when talked about. I'm not against Moreton Bay as a name. It redefines the club a little if they feel that their name has a negative connotation about it.

Results are in. And the winner, with 60% of the votes, is...

Moreton Bay Lions

I can certainly see how it might be perceived as arrogant when there are so many other clubs within the region. But as Thunder pointed out, Caboolture is currently playing in the highest division of any of them. Whether we deserve to be, on this past season's form, is probably up for debate. But I think, given the facilities we've been gifted, playing in anything below the QFA would be seriously frowned upon by AFLQ.

Personally, I miss the days of the Cabo-Redcliffe-Strathpine rivalries. Like most of our current squad, I play footy at Caboolture because it's the closest club to where I live, and to have a bit of fun with mates. We're not playing for sheep stations, and we're out of our depth in the QFA. Which is why the club will need to recruit heavily this offseason, or we'll be in for more of the same.

And yes, AM, Caboolture is Yugarabul for 'place of the carpet snake'. But the league, union, touch, cricket, soccer and softball clubs here are all called Caboolture Snakes for that reason. When you think about it though, it's a bit like saying ATM machine ;)

I think they are being set up to represent the region too, got the new facilities play in the highest league excluding QAFL.They got the gun coach with a few players to follow slowly setting themselves for something big and good luck to them. Who knows just maybe the other clubs such as Redcliffe, Pine Rivers etc no offence to them are just not ready for grand progression or maybe never will, any possibility of any those clubs merging with Caboolture?

What's the "gun coach" record look like for finals, premierships, wooden spoons etc?

What's the "gun coach" record look like for finals, premierships, wooden spoons etc?
Considering in what he had to deal with he did a pretty good job, got Mayne to finals in 2005> He knows how deal with struggling teams! All the best to him

Considering in what he had to deal with he did a pretty good job, got Mayne to finals in 2005> He knows how deal with struggling teams! All the best to him

Didn't really answer the question, other than made finals once 10 seasons ago

I did, think you just don't get the picture....

I don't know much about him. Was asking what his finals etc history was like. You said he coached crap sides and made finals once. I hope caboolture do well. Just interested.

I don't know much about him. Was asking what his finals etc history was like. You said he coached crap sides and made finals once. I hope caboolture do well. Just interested.
Rob coached a couple of grand final sides for Nth Brisbane against Southport and I think did pretty well at Aspley in the 90's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back