Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure if trolling. moore has kicked 5 against the dogs and ripped wce a new one last year until he did a hammy.

right now the coach isn't doing him any favours. moore has white as a side kick.

macartin has bruce, reiwoldt and membrey.

I think moore has it a little tougher.

Not trolling. I do see him as a one of the great up & coming key forwards in the league. I'm just of the opinion that he needs to lift his work rate and get up the ground more, which is what all teams require of their forwards with how the game is currently being played.

He's a good kick, great mark and good physical presence when he's near the ball.

I'm knocking his work rate, not his ability. I've spoken with plenty of pies supporters who get frustrated with him for the same reasons.

Not trolling. I do see him as a one of the great up & coming key forwards in the league. I'm just of the opinion that he needs to lift his work rate and get up the ground more, which is what all teams require of their forwards with how the game is currently being played.

He's a good kick, great mark and good physical presence when he's near the ball.

I'm knocking his work rate, not his ability. I've spoken with plenty of pies supporters who get frustrated with him for the same reasons.

its one of those calls we make from the outside not knowing what role he is being told to play. he's a great athlete and started well Friday night hitting the logos. then went out of it when pushed back to the square. given his size no doubt he needs to be upfield atm. I'd prefer Fasolo or Elliot from the square until Lynch or Wright arrive from GCS.....

its one of those calls we make from the outside not knowing what role he is being told to play. he's a great athlete and started well Friday night hitting the logos. then went out of it when pushed back to the square. given his size no doubt he needs to be upfield atm. I'd prefer Fasolo or Elliot from the square until Lynch or Wright arrive from GCS.....

Delusional. You'll have them from the square for a very long time, if that's the scenario.

Personally I'd say Moore has more potential than McCartin. Moore had had some games where he has dominated periods. He does however ness some strength and possibly more endurance. Although I'm not sure how his being coached in regards to running up the ground. I had question marks over his work rate to. Bit that can come with multiple pre seasons.

Moore is athletic and can take some spectacular marks from behind, but what actual football prowess has he shown ?

He seems very one dimensional to me.

I see McCartin as far mroe a "footballer" than Moore, even though he definitely has some challenges. It's what I like about Hogan. He's gun footballer.

Moore is athletic and can take some spectacular marks from behind, but what actual football prowess has he shown ?

He seems very one dimensional to me.

I see McCartin as far mroe a "footballer" than Moore, even though he definitely has some challenges. It's what I like about Hogan. He's gun footballer.

Moore or McCartin?

Moore has many more tricks but maybe McCartin has the one trick that matters.
I'd prefer Moore and by some way......even if he is having a bit of a down period right now.

McCartin over Moore every day of the week.

That's not to say Moore won't be a very good player- but McCartin will be a dominant key forward in the next few seasons.

Collingwood need to be proactive and get Moore some quality help in the name of a natural forward. Somebody like Dear from Adelaide would go a long way toward fixing things.

Personally I think Moore will be the better player. A hulk is good and all but I prefer agile talls who can go repeat efforts, move up the ground ect. I reckon Geary put it well earlier in the week, McCartin is a stay at home forward and I reckon the game is harder for those types of players to play.

I had a top 7 of Petracca, Wright, Brayshaw, Laverde, McCartin, Heeney, Ahern in that order. I was working as a part timer at an AFL club and the recruiting manager really rated Heeney, looking back I feel I underrated him.

I still think McCartin will be a good full forward for the Saints, I do think it was a mistake to overlook Petracca though. I understand what they were doing, going for structure but I think they missed out on someone who will be one of the elite players of the competition.

Really wasn't keen on the blues trading pick 7 at the time.

I had a top 7 of Petracca, Wright, Brayshaw, Laverde, McCartin, Heeney, Ahern in that order. I was working as a part timer at an AFL club and the recruiting manager really rated Heeney, looking back I feel I underrated him.

I still think McCartin will be a good full forward for the Saints, I do think it was a mistake to overlook Petracca though. I understand what they were doing, going for structure but I think they missed out on someone who will be one of the elite players of the competition.

Really wasn't keen on the blues trading pick 7 at the time.
Which club were you at?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't seem like Mccartin have the tools necessary to dominate and become a top 5 key forward.

Moore is taller, faster and more agile.

Mccartin doesn't seem to be athletic enough to excel as a marking CHF up the ground like Lynch/Roo/Franklin, nor does he seem to have the sheer strength to outmark opponents like JJK/Hawkins/Patton.

Can't contribute to the rucks being slightly short like Wright/Jenkins/Boyd either.

I hope he has a good career but he really needs to really excel at contested marking+goal kicking to have a good career as a stay at home forward, like someone mentioned above he appears to be a 1 trick pony.

In hindsight Stkilda should've picked Peter Wright.

Doesn't seem like Mccartin have the tools necessary to dominate and become a top 5 key forward.

Mccartin doesn't seem to be athletic enough to excel as a marking CHF up the ground like Lynch/Roo/Franklin, nor does he seem to have the sheer strength to outmark opponents like JJK/Hawkins/Patton.

Can't contribute to the rucks being slightly short like Wright/Jenkins/Boyd either.

I hope he has a good career but he really needs to really excel at contested marking+goal kicking to have a good career as a stay at home forward, like someone mentioned above he appears to be a 1 trick pony.

Well he doesn't have the strength yet because he's a 3rd year forward, not 8-10 year like Hawkins and JJK.

I agree that McCartin doesn't look to have the tools to dominate. But Moore is hardly topping him. I think they are polar opposites though. I think McCartin looks limited physically and athletically - but shows intent. Moore sits at the other end of the spectrum, where he looks athletically very capable, and physically up to scratch, but where Moore fails is psychologically. He looks unable to cope with the pressure of AFL. We all know the mental side of Australian Rules is quite demanding. Moore looks like he is breaking down before our eyes. He looks as though he wouldn't even cope with the pressure of VFL.

I agree that McCartin doesn't look to have the tools to dominate. But Moore is hardly topping him. I think they are polar opposites though. I think McCartin looks limited physically and athletically - but shows intent. Moore sits at the other end of the spectrum, where he looks athletically very capable, and physically up to scratch, but where Moore fails is psychologically. He looks unable to cope with the pressure of AFL. We all know the mental side of Australian Rules is quite demanding. Moore looks like he is breaking down before our eyes. He looks as though he wouldn't even cope with the pressure of VFL.
You make it sound like Moore can't even cope with the pressure of eating scrambled eggs in the morning...

What you described is pretty much every AFL player, they take time to mature both mentally and physically. It seems like your view on Moore is completely based on 2 sentences that came out of Pendles' mouth...

It's so easy to blame his lack of onfield output to his mentality. Let me tell you it's really just a matter of being inexperienced... I mean do you think Moore run out of the stadium screaming just because 2 nearby idiots badmouthed him?

Moore hasn't been consistent, but there has been games where he completely dominated. Mccartin has had OK games, but none above average let alone justifying pick 1. Moore has been good and on track to make the pick we used worthwhile.\

Mccartin at pick 1 does seem like a mistake. (I have no idea why i'm awake and am really tired so idk maybe I've repeated a few points)

You make it sound like Moore can't even cope with the pressure of eating scrambled eggs in the morning...

What you described is pretty much every AFL player, they take time to mature both mentally and physically. It seems like your view on Moore is completely based on 2 sentences that came out of Pendles' mouth...

It's so easy to blame his lack of onfield output to his mentality. Let me tell you it's really just a matter of being inexperienced... I mean do you think Moore run out of the stadium screaming just because 2 nearby idiots badmouthed him?

Moore hasn't been consistent, but there has been games where he completely dominated. Mccartin has had OK games, but none above average let alone justifying pick 1. Moore has been good and on track to make the pick we used worthwhile.\

Mccartin at pick 1 does seem like a mistake. (I have no idea why i'm awake and am really tired so idk maybe I've repeated a few points)
Key forward, always gonna take time, shown brilliant moments.
What is the expectation to satisfy you of a pick 1 selection?

does having type 1 diabetes mean he can't get his tank up to elite? being knocked out a few times also is holding him back...

Sam Reid from GWS had diabetes too, carving out a little niche career. It certainly makes rotations harder as Reid is being tested multiple times per game.

Just wanted to add dale weightman, 274 games, in richmonds hall of fame and team of the century, had a long list of achievements.
The game has evolved since then but then so has medical science.

Also Jamie cripps at west coast doing rather well. Originally with st kilda so the club knew what they were getting into when they made the pick.

Key forward, always gonna take time, shown brilliant moments.
What is the expectation to satisfy you of a pick 1 selection?
Exactly, Darcy Moore was bid on at pick 5 by the bulldogs. So the gap isn't really that big in terms of true draft position before f/s selection. Moore was therefore considered the 2nd best kpf of the draft.

(Dogs then bundled that pick to bring Boyd over when they couldn't get Moore)

We ****** up.

Should've taken trucks.

Well Kristian Jaksch is dominating the VFL and not getting a game which is really odd and hard to understand why not.

Not sure what his value is - but his talent will go to waste if not at an AFL club still only 22 but kicks goals outside 50, leads well and strong mark.

I just want to see him at an AFL club doing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back