Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this ends the debate.
paddy1550b.gif
If thats all you need then you would love John Butcher.

Doesn't seem like Mccartin have the tools necessary to dominate and become a top 5 key forward.

Moore is taller, faster and more agile.

Mccartin doesn't seem to be athletic enough to excel as a marking CHF up the ground like Lynch/Roo/Franklin, nor does he seem to have the sheer strength to outmark opponents like JJK/Hawkins/Patton.

How good were JJK/Hawkins/Patton in their first three years? Paddy will end up being a massive specimen with incredible timing, smarts and skills. I'm not necessarily saying that he was the correct call when Petracca was available, but I think both will be great players. Petracca could end up being a 25 disposal, 1.5 goal per game midfielder while Paddy's likely trajectory is becoming a 50-60 goal per-year full forward. Both great players, though it'd be tough to argue against the dominant, goal kicking midfielder against the handy full forward. Both invaluable players though

He's got a couple of years left to prove himself a worthy number 1 pick IMO.

Height is the most overrated trait in the AFL. Tex is only what 191cm? N.Reiwoldt is 193cm?

He is tall enough to be a KPF, the only question is, is he good enough.

The other thread created suggests trading him - that would madness from St Kilda's POV.

At present Neal-Bullen has shown that he can find the pill as a mid - and do the 1% plays (tackling - look at stats). Recently (last couple of years) Brayshaw hasn't shown much as a mid, or even as a footballer. He looks lost. I don't know if it is concussion related, but he looks as though he has zero awareness of those around him. I look at Brayshaw as a player who needs to completely adjust his mindset. My advice to Angus would be "Angus, you were a high draft pick, a great junior, but you haven't made it, your game has not transitioned to the level of AFL (for whatever reasons), and you are on the verge of being delisted". That would be my advice to Brayshaw. But, not to be lost on Big Footy - who loves to play the man - I would give McCartin some similar advice. But with Paddy, I would say "get your a** into gear". Shameful McCartin is still in the condition he is in. 7 goals in the VFL or not.
Brayshaw wasn't far behind Degoey who was the next best mid taken that draft pre injury. I really like his use of ball inside 50, just doesn't adjust to playing majority of minutes forward which is what he has been forced to do, ANB has to an extent.

Happy for Paddy to keep developing in the VFL while Roo finishes up his career.

Watching him get burned on leads in the game against the Lions was super fustrating. He made great space and had his man beaten on a number of occasions but our midfield either missed the kick or were smart/quick enough to get it to him and so they waited for another option.

Hopefully when he is back in the senior team the transition across half forward is a little more cohesive and he can kick a bag.

How good were JJK/Hawkins/Patton in their first three years? Paddy will end up being a massive specimen with incredible timing, smarts and skills. I'm not necessarily saying that he was the correct call when Petracca was available, but I think both will be great players. Petracca could end up being a 25 disposal, 1.5 goal per game midfielder while Paddy's likely trajectory is becoming a 50-60 goal per-year full forward. Both great players, though it'd be tough to argue against the dominant, goal kicking midfielder against the handy full forward. Both invaluable players though
No-one's saying at this stage Patrick Mccartin will become a mediocre player.

Read the name of the thread, the question at discussion here is: whether he was worth pick 1 in the draft.

Height is the most overrated trait in the AFL. Tex is only what 191cm? N.Reiwoldt is 193cm?

The other thread created suggests trading him - that would madness from St Kilda's POV.
No it doesn't.

They don't have any want to trade him at all, and won't.

Was just a hypothetical posted by KB

Yeah at this stage Petracca looks like he'll be a better footballer I don't think anyone would doubt that, but unless the gap is massive when they're both in their prime I'll be content with the decision, last night we cried out for a marking forward, Membrey was decent but isn't a genuine KPP, Riewoldt looked sore and had no influence and Bruce's 50 goal season is now looking like more of an anomaly than Jack Anthony's 50 goal season. We need Paddy. If it were up to me he'd be in next week for Bruce.

So whilst having Petracca would make us a better team at the minute, taking the key forward was the right choice as we do need one, particularly if we do land a big fish midfielder this year meaning our plan worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah at this stage Petracca looks like he'll be a better footballer I don't think anyone would doubt that, but unless the gap is massive when they're both in their prime I'll be content with the decision, last night we cried out for a marking forward, Membrey was decent but isn't a genuine KPP, Riewoldt looked sore and had no influence and Bruce's 50 goal season is now looking like more of an anomaly than Jack Anthony's 50 goal season. We need Paddy. If it were up to me he'd be in next week for Bruce.

So whilst having Petracca would make us a better team at the minute, taking the key forward was the right choice as we do need one, particularly if we do land a big fish midfielder this year meaning our plan worked.
I think McCartin will be a gun, but I wouldn't discount Petracca's ability to be that leading forward target. Height plus leap makes him pretty much key position size. At any rate it's hardly a huge draft blunder given we were going to take McCartin at pick 2 anyway, it's not like the Saints reached for him

Gee saw the VFL game on the weekend and McCartin looked more like a bush footy full forward, he needs to get much fitter, players like McCartin do take time, could be his 4-5 year before he is ready for AFL footy.
Kid obviously got talent, but Petracca and Billings in the forward 50 would have been a super combo.
It has been said, that the Saints did have some real concerns re Patracca.

Gee saw the VFL game on the weekend and McCartin looked more like a bush footy full forward, he needs to get much fitter, players like McCartin do take time, could be his 4-5 year before he is ready for AFL footy.
Kid obviously got talent, but Petracca and Billings in the forward 50 would have been a super combo.
He did look very ordinary, but he did kick 7 the week before and still managed to have some impact this week. Time will obviously be the key with him.

Wright should of gone number 1 if you wanted a key forward. Was always in the mix through out the year, not sure why he slipped in the rankings leading into the draft.

Gee saw the VFL game on the weekend and McCartin looked more like a bush footy full forward, he needs to get much fitter,

This is the big question mark. Apparently he is a hard worker but he doesn't look fit and he doesn't look agile. He might just be that sort of person but unless he can get his body into shape and increase his aerobic capacity he will struggle in the modern game. There is no question if he was fit that he can clunk a mark, bring down packs and be a 10 year KPF. But can he get his body right?

Wright should of gone number 1 if you wanted a key forward. Was always in the mix through out the year, not sure why he slipped in the rankings leading into the draft.
He's certainly done more to this point, but like many I think McCartin will be the better forward in time

He's certainly done more to this point, but like many I think McCartin will be the better forward in time
I don't. It's not a knock on Paddy but the fact that 2MP is 203 cms with good hands and excellent coordination to me says he will only get better. I don't see Paddys point of difference that will set him apart from the other young key forwards in the league. I think they're obviously different types of key forwards with 2MP able to play second ruck as well. But for me I think 2MP will be he better player. Although it wasn't a mistake that the Saints took Paddy, Rooey isn't getting any younger and Bruce and Membrey had done nothing at that point.

To be fair, a howling wind and pissing down with rain isn't exactly a key forwards ideal conditions. Thought he was ok still, kicked a couple and had 10 or so marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back