Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking to a lead is COMPLETELY different to kicking it on someone's head. Put Franklin in our FWD line and watch our mids kick the ball to him, would look 2nd rate.
Oh please. Riewoldt gets on well enough, despite being 34.

Went out to dinner with a St Kilda staff member last night.

Said McCartin will never be able to get into AFL shape in the true sense of the word.

His Type 1 diabetes means it's too dangerous to shed off all of his weight and he simply can't operate like a normal AFL athlete.
Surely the Saints knew that prior to taking him, which, if they did, makes the decision a little perculiar. I really like his skill set, but he was disappointing yesterday, albeit with awful supply.

I do find it ironic the amount of Dees supporters gloating about Petracca, given the amount of picks they've fluffed themselves in recent years, and if you're calling McCartin a bust at this stage then surely you would Brayshaw as well.

Surely the Saints knew that prior to taking him, which, if they did, makes the decision a little perculiar. I really like his skill set, but he was disappointing yesterday, albeit with awful supply.

Your right on all points and no team would take a risk on using pick 1 on a bloke that can't get AFL fit. McCartins body shape has changed from his first season and it will continue too over time. He had Grundy on him yesterday with Rampe taking him when he lead so not a easy day for a 19 game key forward. Boyd is still struggling as a key forward.

Your right on all points and no team would take a risk on using pick 1 on a bloke that can't get AFL fit. McCartins body shape has changed from his first season and it will continue too over time. He had Grundy on him yesterday with Rampe taking him when he lead so not a easy day for a 19 game key forward. Boyd is still struggling as a key forward.

Thing is though boyd had shown more glimpses than McCartin in his first 20 games. A bag of four and a rising star nom, three goals against hawthorn at the peak of their powers etc, and turning d was largely as his team's only key forward. McCartin still hasn't kicked more than two goals in a game as a second or third tall

Even now if McCartin had played anything like boyd on Friday night st kilda fans would be wetting themselves.

This isn't attempting to start a flame war either Adam

Thing is though boyd had shown more glimpses than McCartin in his first 20 games. A bag of four and a rising star nom, three goals against hawthorn at the peak of their powers etc, and turning d was largely as his team's only key forward. McCartin still hasn't kicked more than two goals in a game as a second or third tall

Even now if McCartin had played anything like boyd on Friday night st kilda fans would be wetting themselves.

This isn't attempting to start a flame war either Adam

Boyd wasn't great Friday night he was beaten by Zac Smith who is no good. McCartin has shown plenty like his game v Freo last season and the Hawthorn game. Injured in two games early after taking big grabs and already two goals.

I'm going to be patient because there's nothing we can do about it now, but geeeeee having Petracca would be nice. Our forward line for the future would be looking crap though, and we'd probably be one of the clubs offering 700k for shache, so I don't like to consider it purely on a Petracca V Mccartin basis, that wouldn't make for positive thoughts.
Exactly right, at least we've got our forward and we can build with him.

Looks fine, obviously 20 games and numerous injuries into a career isn't d day.

I do find it ironic the amount of Dees supporters gloating about Petracca, given the amount of picks they've fluffed themselves in recent years, and if you're calling McCartin a bust at this stage then surely you would Brayshaw as well.
Petracca was the number one right up until very close to the draft. That's the reason people compare him to McCartin. Brayshaw has been terribly unlucky. After a very good first year he has had some real injury issues including his current concussion issues.

Petracca was the number one right up until very close to the draft. That's the reason people compare him to McCartin. Brayshaw has been terribly unlucky. After a very good first year he has had some real injury issues including his current concussion issues.
Wrong, McCartin and Petracca were interchangeable for the first pick throughout the year, and are you saying McCartin hasn't had to deal with any injuries?

How can you post Brayshaw has been unlucky while not acknowledging the horrendous luck McCartins had.

Not saying McCartin hasn't had to deal with injuries. But he's had a full pre season apparently and doesn't seem to be fit enough. Will take time. And maybe a change in mindset regarding his training. But as stated above maybe the diabetes is going to hold him back from full potential.

Not saying McCartin hasn't had to deal with injuries. But he's had a full pre season apparently and doesn't seem to be fit enough. Will take time. And maybe a change in mindset regarding his training. But as stated above maybe the diabetes is going to hold him back from full potential.

Fit enough according to who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to popular opinion he's struggling, however the media have been much more even with him since the GF. I think he's struggling to justify his salary - which is always will, but, bugger it, I don't think anyone cares any more.

As for Friday, he was our second best player behind Wallis, I think saying he didn't play well is patently wrong. 20 touches, 4 marks, 2 goals and 33 hitouts is good by anyone's measure. Especially for a 21yo.

According to popular opinion he's struggling, however the media have been much more even with him since the GF. I think he's struggling to justify his salary - which is always will, but, bugger it, I don't think anyone cares any more.

As for Friday, he was our second best player behind Wallis, I think saying he didn't play well is patently wrong. 20 touches, 4 marks, 2 goals and 33 hitouts is good by anyone's measure. Especially for a 21yo.

He slipped off the interchange for one goal and out marked Jed Bews for the other. He was ok but was beaten by Zac Smith. No dramas he's 21 so has heaps of time but leading out of the goal square is not a easy place for 21 year key forwards to play.

As I've said I don't know his actual fitness levels. However looking at him play he doesn't seem to have the fitness now. Not saying he can't. Also been mentioned in the media. Apparently those at club land have commented.

See the issue is he's a young key forward and he's not going to be running down smaller players. It's easy for Barret or David King to show footage of Elliot Yeo or the likes running off and then drone he's not fit.

Wrong, McCartin and Petracca were interchangeable for the first pick throughout the year, and are you saying McCartin hasn't had to deal with any injuries?
Petracca was number 1 the whole way, I never thought we had a chance with pick 2 until a week or 10 days out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back