Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

ok i'll do mine simply because i'm sick and tired of seeing stupid posts like Harris Andrews before DeGoey and Darcy Moore before Brayshaw. Massive LOL's. For reference I am a Melbourne supporter and think Petracca is still too high on people list. but here we go. I've sensibly included the rookie draft as this includes players that were overlooked in the national draft.

1. DeGoey: match-winner. up forward or midfield.
2. Heeney: Strong overhead. Consistent since first season. Goal-kicking mids are worth gold.
3. Brayshaw: 3rd in the brownlow so should be 3rd in his draft class. Will only get better now that his concussion symptoms are over.
4. Lever: Young key defender, already been in the AA squad.
5. Harris Andrews: Important player with true key position height.
6. Adam Saad. I have him higher than most but he is a point of difference for any team. A real line breaker and can make a slow team quick with him in the back 6.
7. T. Mclean: Finds the ball. Can use it better but goes in hard.
8. Mason Cox: I was far from sold last season but his game against richmond really sold me. Once he fixed his kicking his value rocketed.
9. Ed Langdon: 22 ppg and 6 marks a game. Outside runner that does all of the intangibles.
10. Touk Miller: It's hard being a good player in a poor team like the Gold Coast but he cracks in every week. Can tag effectively when needed to. Lack kicking penetration but is clean and professional.

Unlucky ones:
Maynard (I suppose just a bit of an in-betweener for me. not key position but probably not a guy i'd fully trust on the leagues best small forwards. But goes in hard and is a great long kick)
Neal-Bullen(not nearly as effective if not given midfield roles)
Petracca (needs to fix disposal especially in front of goals)
Lambert (accumulator but in a team that dominates teams most weeks)
Castagna (i love this guy. Started the mosquito fleet movement after the Tigers flag success)

ok i'll do mine simply because i'm sick and tired of seeing stupid posts like Harris Andrews before DeGoey and Darcy Moore before Brayshaw. Massive LOL's. For reference I am a Melbourne supporter and think Petracca is still too high on people list. but here we go. I've sensibly included the rookie draft as this includes players that were overlooked in the national draft.

1. DeGoey: match-winner. up forward or midfield.
2. Heeney: Strong overhead. Consistent since first season. Goal-kicking mids are worth gold.
3. Brayshaw: 3rd in the brownlow so should be 3rd in his draft class. Will only get better now that his concussion symptoms are over.
4. Lever: Young key defender, already been in the AA squad.
5. Harris Andrews: Important player with true key position height.
6. Adam Saad. I have him higher than most but he is a point of difference for any team. A real line breaker and can make a slow team quick with him in the back 6.
7. T. Mclean: Finds the ball. Can use it better but goes in hard.
8. Mason Cox: I was far from sold last season but his game against richmond really sold me. Once he fixed his kicking his value rocketed.
9. Ed Langdon: 22 ppg and 6 marks a game. Outside runner that does all of the intangibles.
10. Touk Miller: It's hard being a good player in a poor team like the Gold Coast but he cracks in every week. Can tag effectively when needed to. Lack kicking penetration but is clean and professional.

Unlucky ones:
Maynard (I suppose just a bit of an in-betweener for me. not key position but probably not a guy i'd fully trust on the leagues best small forwards. But goes in hard and is a great long kick)
Neal-Bullen(not nearly as effective if not given midfield roles)
Petracca (needs to fix disposal especially in front of goals)
Lambert (accumulator but in a team that dominates teams most weeks)
Castagna (i love this guy. Started the mosquito fleet movement after the Tigers flag success)

Harris Andrews over De Goey is a very fair argument. If Andrews doesn’t get his jaw broken last year I’d say he makes the All-Australian team which would be an outstanding achievement for a 22 year old KPP. I’d argue he had a better year than Rance even with missing the games he did.

Talent-wise I’d almost put Andrews and De Goey level pegging, with the questions around De Goeys character I’d go Andrews 1st.

Anyone who doesn’t rate Andrews that highly simply doesn’t watch enough Brisbane games, he is a star!

Harris Andrews over De Goey is a very fair argument. If Andrews doesn’t get his jaw broken last year I’d say he makes the All-Australian team which would be an outstanding achievement for a 22 year old KPP. I’d argue he had a better year than Rance even with missing the games he did.

Talent-wise I’d almost put Andrews and De Goey level pegging, with the questions around De Goeys character I’d go Andrews 1st.

Anyone who doesn’t rate Andrews that highly simply doesn’t watch enough Brisbane games, he is a star!

I rate Andrews but defending isn't as a hard as kicking goals and DeGoey is a match winner. Andrews isn't. DeGoey is probably the best young player in the game. His goal kicking nous is through the roof.

I rate Andrews but defending isn't as a hard as kicking goals and DeGoey is a match winner. Andrews isn't. DeGoey is probably the best young player in the game. His goal kicking nous is through the roof.
Shutting down key forwards and taking intercept marks doesn't win matches?

:think:

I would have a few in front of DeGoey - Kelly, Cripps, Oliver, Bont are 4 just off the top of my head. He is a fair way off the best young players. Kelly & Cripps were voted top 3 players in the league by their peers.

Just browsing the thread. Good to see Touk Miller getting some love.

Don't have the background to give a top 15 or so, but I would be looking at Harris Andrews towards the pointy end. Having seen him do massive jobs on Tom Lynch for a few years now.

Are people basing it on their body of work, going forward or a bit of both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what a delicious draft this ended up being

B: Marchbank, Lever, Moore
HB: Duggan, Andrews, Maynard
C: Brayshaw, Langford, Weller
HF: Heeney, M.McGovern, Neal-Bullen
F: Petracca, Wright, De Goey
Foll: Pittonet, Steele, Miller
Bench: Butler, Blakely, Daniel, McLean

Depth: McCartin, Pickett, Cockatoo, C.Ellis, Garlett, Laverde, Goddard, McKenzie, O.McDonald, Menadue, Vickers-Willis, E.Langdon, Howard, Howe, Cordy, Austin, Finlayson, Stretch, Dale, Nelson

Lever - AA squad player
Duggan - flag
Andrews - AA squad player and 5th in a B&F in a year he missed a month
Brayshaw - 3rd in Brownlow
Weller - 3rd in a B&F
Heeney - 4th in a B&F
De Goey - AA squad player, club leading goalkicker
Steele - 3rd in a B&F
Milller - 2nd in a B&F
Butler - flag
Daniel - flag
McLean - flag

Good list of accolades in only 4 years. Ed Langdon, Oscar McDonald, Dan Howe all very unlucky to not make the side, number 1 draft pick ruined by concussion...

Petracca keeps sliding. Big body that bullied juniors but he’s going to have to get a lot better. Would take McLean over him every day of the week and twice Saturdays

I think I read it on the North board "will tease greatness his entire career" or something like that. I agree. He just seems like a low IQ player to me. Has the body and the skillset, but pick 2 is still a huge stretch for me based on production.

Brayshaw, Heeney, Andrews and De Goey are the clear standouts from this draft and a level above the rest. Elite players in their own right and hard to split them.

So much of this post is incorrect.

In was hopeful that Petracca would come on for a breakout this season. Not our worst on the weekend but looks bereft if confidence. I wonder in a Brayshaw 2018 style VFL run would do him any good.

1 Isaac Heeney
2 Angus Brayshaw
3 Jordan DeGoey (
4 Harris Andrews
5 Kane lambert
6 Jake Lever
7 Christian petracca
( could easily be number 1 some day)
8 Toby McLean
9 Connor blakley
10 kyle langford
i think the time to remove Tracc and Langford from the top 10 has come.

My 2019 top 10
1-De Goey
2-Brayshaw
3-Heeney
4-Andrews
5-Lever
6-McLean
7-Daniel
8-Blakely
9-McGovern
10-Miller

Jack Steele stiff not to get much of a mention. Petracca nowhere near top 10. As Nick Riewoldt alluded to this morning on SEN, he’s all athlete & lacks forward craft. Lacks footy IQ to take the next step.

I think I read it on the North board "will tease greatness his entire career" or something like that. I agree. He just seems like a low IQ player to me. Has the body and the skillset, but pick 2 is still a huge stretch for me based on production.
I disagree. His body and lack of tank seem to be holding him back from becoming the explosive midfielder we keep hearing he’s gonna become, and his skills are very average. Ran at 57% kicking efficiency in the under 18s and doesn’t seemed to have improved.
Does some great things but to few and far between. I reckon they need to put him in the VFL for a bit, saints have done it over the years and it can really help. Will also allow him proper minutes in the midfield.

I disagree. His body and lack of tank seem to be holding him back from becoming the explosive midfielder we keep hearing he’s gonna become, and his skills are very average. Ran at 57% kicking efficiency in the under 18s and doesn’t seemed to have improved.
Does some great things but to few and far between. I reckon they need to put him in the VFL for a bit, saints have done it over the years and it can really help. Will also allow him proper minutes in the midfield.

I don't think he has the capacity to become a full time mid unless Melbourne build their entire system around him in a similar way Richmond do around Martin which won't happen given Trucc is no where near their best player.

That leaves him to a Stringer type role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back