Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he has the capacity to become a full time mid unless Melbourne build their entire system around him in a similar way Richmond do around Martin which won't happen given Trucc is no where near their best player.

That leaves him to a Stringer type role.
Even Tony Lockett would have struggled playing as a forward in our team over the first 2 weeks. The delivery and utterly dumb kicking to our forwards hasn't helped.

Even Tony Lockett would have struggled playing as a forward in our team over the first 2 weeks. The delivery and utterly dumb kicking to our forwards hasn't helped.

Pettracca is part of the problem he is a seriously dumb footballer.

I haven't even watched any Melbourne games this year. I'm not trying to jump in on the Petracca bashing I just don't think he'll ever be a full time mid.

I haven't even watched any Melbourne games this year. I'm not trying to jump in on the Petracca bashing I just don't think he'll ever be a full time mid.
I don't think he ever will be either

There’s literally nothing that Petracca does better than McLean.
Bizarre post.

Petracca leads in goals per game, inside 50's, goal assist, contested possessions, contested marks, 1%ers, score involvements and meters gained.

Toby does double his free kick for per game. But we all know why that is - literally.

Hahaha, mate Lockett averaged 4 goals a game in a side that finished on the bottom of the ladder. Don’t kid yourself.

I don't think he has the capacity to become a full time mid unless Melbourne build their entire system around him in a similar way Richmond do around Martin which won't happen given Trucc is no where near their best player.

That leaves him to a Stringer type role.
Well that’s a problem for Melbourne then as he was drafted to eventually become a midfielder.
It does look like he’ll end up a forward, but I’m not sure he has enough tricks to be super damaging.
He’s still young though so plenty of time to turn it around and if he wasn’t a number 2 pick there wouldn’t be much talk about him or his form.

Well that’s a problem for Melbourne then as he was drafted to eventually become a midfielder.
It does look like he’ll end up a forward, but I’m not sure he has enough tricks to be super damaging.
He’s still young though so plenty of time to turn it around and if he wasn’t a number 2 pick there wouldn’t be much talk about him or his form.

Disagree I'd say he already is a damaging player. I would agree that he'll struggle to live up to the hype of being a number 2 pick however

Fair enough, for me to be a damaging player you have to show it more than a few glimpses.

He averaged 20 touches last year, wins one on ones without trying, is strong overhead, kicks 50m plus off both feet and has the rare ability to collect a contested ball at pace and bust a pack open.

Petracca has plenty of problems with his game but he's still a very damaging player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He averaged 20 touches last year, wins one on ones without trying, is strong overhead, kicks 50m plus off both feet and has the rare ability to collect a contested ball at pace and bust a pack open.

Petracca has plenty of problems with his game but he's still a very damaging player.

Wins one on ones without trying? meh don't think so. Can kick 50m off both feet, yes, but where the ball ends up is more important and he very rarely collects a contested possession at pace and busts a pack open, I don't think there would be more than half a dozen times he's actually done that.
Guess we'll agree to disagree.

Bizarre post.

Petracca leads in goals per game, inside 50's, goal assist, contested possessions, contested marks, 1%ers, score involvements and meters gained.

Toby does double his free kick for per game. But we all know why that is - literally.

I know why it is. It's because Toby isn't scared of a contest, unlike petracca who backed out of at least 3 vs geelong. As others have pointed out, the guy is low footy IQ. The opposite of McLean.

I know why it is. It's because Toby isn't scared of a contest, unlike petracca who backed out of at least 3 vs geelong. As others have pointed out, the guy is low footy IQ. The opposite of McLean.

Incorrect

Can someone please raise their hand if they have the correct answer?

1554259887809.png

Thanks Toby.

He is a good player - so was Lindsay Thomas. Like Thomas it's free kick 1st - play the ball 2nd.

Incorrect

Can someone please raise their hand if they have the correct answer?

View attachment 647279

Thanks Toby.

He is a good player - so was Lindsay Thomas. Like Thomas it's free kick 1st - play the ball 2nd.
After last weekend the last thing i want to do is defend a Dogs player and i agree that he has a history of ducking/playing for frees (however you want to word it. He is no doubt a very good player though that went to a new level last year before slowing down a little due to some niggles in the back part of the year. He is also hurt by the depth of the Dogs midfield, limits his opportunity to be a full time mid which he showed last year he can excel at. Trac may have a higher ceiling but if i could pick one to have at the Hawks i am taking Mclean every day of the week.

After last weekend the last thing i want to do is defend a Dogs player and i agree that he has a history of ducking/playing for frees (however you want to word it. He is no doubt a very good player though that went to a new level last year before slowing down a little due to some niggles in the back part of the year. He is also hurt by the depth of the Dogs midfield, limits his opportunity to be a full time mid which he showed last year he can excel at. Trac may have a higher ceiling but if i could pick one to have at the Hawks i am taking Mclean every day of the week.

I posted he was a good player. Agree he has out performed Petracca and I would take Mclean at the Roos.

We are all waiting for Petracca to explode - it may or may not happen. Toby is the safe option ATM.

When looking at career stats - don't look at the last 2 games. Look at all that he has played.

Over his career your comment is clearly incorrect.

Ever since the AFL tweaked the rules on that a few years ago he hasn't really got his frees that way. The players know that if you're responsible for causing the high contact it won't be paid.

Anyway, he's a better footballer than petracca, and we all seem to agree on that. I'm not sure Petracca should even be getting a game right now.

Last edited:
Ever since the AFL tweaked the rules on that a few years ago he hasn't really got his frees that way. The players know that if you're responsible for cause the high contact it won't be paid.

Anyway, he's a better footballer than petracca, and we all seem to agree on that. I'm not sure Petracca should even be getting a game right now.

Based on form 20 Dee players shouldn't get a game right now.

What's the deal with Goddard (of the Carlton, formerly Saints variety)?

Was he only ever hyped up because of his surname?

Or was he actually an impressive junior who couldn't translate that to senior footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back