Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

For a while this was looking great for us, three 2016 premiership players in Toby McLean, Caleb Daniel and Zaine Cordy. Plus Bailey Dale who is best 22 and Lukas Webb.

Sadly now while McLean is a gun and Cordy would get a game at most sides Daniel has regressed. All three are still in our best 22 now though while we rebuild. Dale injured and Webb never kicked on

Kyle Langford? Wow

Was about to say it lol- must have been his great VFL games! Surprised Laverde didn't get a spot too!

The bloke right after him is a mile better and I wouldn't have Melican in the top 20 anyway.

Cordy would go top 15. Performing already as a young KPD and will be a bookend for 10 years. Just as good as Oscar McDonald, just a shame he's playing in a crap team.

1-Heeney
2-Andrews
3-Petracca
4-Lever
5-McGovern
6-De Goey
7-McLean
8-Wright
9-McDonald
10-Cordy
11-Moore
12-Miller
13-Brayshaw
14-Blakely
15-Howard
16-Weller
17-Neal-Bullen
18-Daniel
19-Duggan
20-Howe

Not the greatest draft in recent years
1st rd:
1-Andrews
2-Heeney
3-Petracca
4-Brayshaw
5-Lever
6-Wright
7-McLean
8-McGovern
9-De Goey
10-Daniel
11-Moore
12-Marchbank
13-Miller
14-Langford
15-Melican
16-Lambert
17-Butler
18-McKenna

Outside the top 10, there aren't many who would walk straight into sides.
langford above butler and lambert.....?

I just love essendon supporters.

Did a top 40. This was harder than 2013.. but the top 30 is fairly decent I think.

1 Isaac Heeney
2 Jordan De Goey
3 Harris Andrews
4 Christian Petracca
5 Toby McLean
6 Jake Lever
7 Mitch McGovern
8 Angus Brayshaw
9 Connor Blakely
10 Kane Lambert
11 Jack Sinclair
12 Peter Wright
13 Darcy Moore
14 Oscar McDonald
15 Adam Saad
16 Zaine Cordy
17 Dougal Howard
18 Dan Butler
19 Touk Miller
20 Kyle Langford
21 Ed Langdon
22 Jayden Short
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Jason Castagna
25 Caleb Marchbank
26 Liam Duggan
27 Jeremy Finlayson
28 Caleb Daniel
29 Alex Neal-Bullen
30 Conor McKenna
31 Jack Steele
32 Bailey Dale
33 Nakia Cockatoo
34 Daniel Howe
35 Paul Ahern
36 Lewis Melican
37 Lachie Weller
38 Jordan Cunico
39 Mason Cox
40 Brayden Preuss

Did a top 40. This was harder than 2013.. but the top 30 is fairly decent I think.

1 Isaac Heeney
2 Jordan De Goey
3 Harris Andrews
4 Christian Petracca
5 Toby McLean
6 Jake Lever
7 Mitch McGovern
8 Angus Brayshaw
9 Connor Blakely
10 Kane Lambert
11 Jack Sinclair
12 Peter Wright
13 Darcy Moore
14 Oscar McDonald
15 Adam Saad
16 Zaine Cordy
17 Dougal Howard
18 Dan Butler
19 Touk Miller
20 Kyle Langford
21 Ed Langdon
22 Jayden Short
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Jason Castagna
25 Caleb Marchbank
26 Liam Duggan
27 Jeremy Finlayson
28 Caleb Daniel
29 Alex Neal-Bullen
30 Conor McKenna
31 Jack Steele
32 Bailey Dale
33 Nakia Cockatoo
34 Daniel Howe
35 Paul Ahern
36 Lewis Melican
37 Lachie Weller
38 Jordan Cunico
39 Mason Cox
40 Brayden Preuss

Seriously underrating McKenna here . I'd personally take him ahead of Saad and you've got the sub 15 gamer Finlayson ahead of him.

He averages more score involvements and goal assists than Maynard, Saad, Short. Is second behind Short in average metres gained. Then there's the potential upside being Irish and only 40ish games into his career you'd expect that we're only scratching the surface of what he's capable of .

Seriously underrating McKenna here . I'd personally take him ahead of Saad and you've got the sub 15 gamer Finlayson ahead of him.

He averages more score involvements and goal assists than Maynard, Saad, Short. Is second behind Short in average metres gained. Then there's the potential upside being Irish and only 40ish games into his career you'd expect that we're only scratching the surface of what he's capable of .

I do like McKenna but surprised you rate him ahead of Saad, obviously you're seeing more of these guys so respect your opinion there.

In relation to Finlayson, you're probably right - I really liked what I've seen of him this year though, particularly early on. He's big, athletic & can kick the football.

Harris Andrews number 1 for sure

I thought long and hard about putting him there - I am just not sure teams would take a full back (as good as he is) over a guy like Heeney in particular - a surefire mid/forward matchwinner who can do it all. De Goey I'd have in the same boat but I'm biased..

1 Isaac Heeney
2 Jordan De Goey
3 Harris Andrews
4 Christian Petracca
5 Toby McLean
6 Jake Lever
7 Mitch McGovern
8 Angus Brayshaw
9 Connor Blakely
10 Kane Lambert
11 Jack Sinclair
12 Peter Wright
13 Darcy Moore
14 Oscar McDonald
15 Adam Saad
16 Zaine Cordy
17 Dougal Howard
18 Dan Butler
19 Touk Miller
20 Kyle Langford
21 Ed Langdon
22 Jayden Short
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Jason Castagna
25 Caleb Marchbank
26 Liam Duggan
27 Jeremy Finlayson
28 Caleb Daniel
29 Alex Neal-Bullen
30 Conor McKenna
31 Jack Steele
32 Bailey Dale
33 Nakia Cockatoo
34 Daniel Howe
35 Paul Ahern
36 Lewis Melican
37 Lachie Weller
38 Jordan Cunico
39 Mason Cox
40 Brayden Preuss

The bolded players, to this point, have outperformed Petracca. I'm assuming this is a re-draft based on expectation and not output?

The bolded players, to this point, have outperformed Petracca. I'm assuming this is a re-draft based on expectation and not output?

Petracca was excellent last year. I guess it's a bit of both. Not just what they've done so far but what you'd hope & expect them to do moving forward. Petracca hasn't been very good this year but is still an athletic beast with some serious skill, wins contested ball & kicks goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do like McKenna but surprised you rate him ahead of Saad, obviously you're seeing more of these guys so respect your opinion there.

McKenna's kicking sets them apart. Saad is a good kick whereas McKenna is a freak who regularly puts the ball on peoples chest from angles that the receiver isn't even expecting the ball.

In relation to Finlayson, you're probably right - I really liked what I've seen of him this year though, particularly early on. He's big, athletic & can kick the football.

I thought long and hard about putting him there - I am just not sure teams would take a full back (as good as he is) over a guy like Heeney in particular - a surefire mid/forward matchwinner who can do it all. De Goey I'd have in the same boat but I'm biased..
Saad has been better recently for sure. But there are very few players in the league with more talent than McKenna. His speed and skill are genuinely in the upper echelon of the competition, and he's a good size. No guarantee to turn his attributes into one of the league's best players, but considering his development since being drafted, I'd be pretty surprised if he never makes an AA team.

Not the greatest draft in recent years
1st rd:
1-Andrews
2-Heeney
3-Petracca
4-Brayshaw
5-Lever
6-Wright
7-McLean
8-McGovern
9-De Goey
10-Daniel
11-Moore
12-Marchbank
13-Miller
14-Langford
15-Melican
16-Lambert
17-Butler
18-McKenna

Outside the top 10, there aren't many who would walk straight into sides.
Lambert finished 3rd in a premiership year. How is he below Langford?

Less than a month later and it seems he is deserving of a mention.
Still needs to play a lot of consistent footy to get as high as you and other Essendon fans seem to rate him.

An Essendon supporter above rated Langford 14th best in the draft; the 13 they listed above him were clearly better than Langford. He then had Langford higher than:

Lambert
Cordy
Daniel
McDonald
O'Connor
Neal-Bullen
Duggan
Weller
Melican
Blakely

Ok. He gets a mention in the top 25; that's it.

Still needs to play a lot of consistent footy to get as high as you and other Essendon fans seem to rate him.

An Essendon supporter above rated Langford 14th best in the draft; the 13 they listed above him were clearly better than Langford. He then had Langford higher than:

Lambert
Cordy
Daniel
McDonald
O'Connor
Neal-Bullen
Duggan
Weller
Melican
Blakely

Ok. He gets a mention in the top 25; that's it.
Lol.

16. Sam Durdin
25. Dan Nielson
36. Ed Vickers-Willis

This draft was a disaster for us. EVW would be in the team but he is regularly injured. Durdin and Nielson look likely to be finished when their contracts are up. Thank * we grabbed Preuss in the rookie draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back