Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

What's the deal with Goddard (of the Carlton, formerly Saints variety)?

Was he only ever hyped up because of his surname?

Or was he actually an impressive junior who couldn't translate that to senior footy.

He was a good sized junior with a recognised name.

Injuries and a lack of anything outstanding hurt him at AFL level, such is the jump in standard

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still think Petracca could end up as a top 3 player in this draft, think Melbourne should drop him for his effort vs Geelong and make him get back to doing the basics in the VFL for a week or two. Last year they dropped Brayshaw and it worked out pretty well.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
I still think Petracca could end up as a top 3 player in this draft, think Melbourne should drop him for his effort vs Geelong and make him get back to doing the basics in the VFL for a week or two. Last year they dropped Brayshaw and it worked out pretty well.

Petracca is a long way from being top 3 in this draft imo.

His ball use is poor too often (often bombs it long no matter), his finishing is average.

I doubt he will ever be as good as De Goey, Brayshaw, Andrews, Lever, etc.

Bizarre post.

Petracca leads in goals per game, inside 50's, goal assist, contested possessions, contested marks, 1%ers, score involvements and meters gained.

Toby does double his free kick for per game. But we all know why that is - literally.

McLean is a far superior footballer.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
1. De Goey
2. Andrews
3. Brayshaw
4. Heeney
5. Dunkley
6. Moore
7. Lever
8. Mclean
9. Steele
10. Daniel

not sure how a player ( Kane Lambert ) that was 3rd in the best and fairest in a premiership year, and 2nd in the best and fairest last year when we finished 3rd, is not in the top 10 here, lol. On actual output he should be pick 1.

Aug 20, 2010
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Bayern, Chelsea FC, Raiders
not sure how a player ( Kane Lambert ) that was 3rd in the best and fairest in a premiership year, and 2nd in the best and fairest last year when we finished 3rd, is not in the top 10 here, lol. On actual output he should be pick 1.
Hahahahaha

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Collingwood be very Happy with there 1st 3 Picks:

1 - De Goey
2 - Moore
3 - Maynard
Had the polar opposite draft to us.
Traded in Cooney for a pick that could have netted Neal-Bullen, Lonie, Daniel, Mitch McGov.
Laverde & Langford are seriously struggling with injury, form and AFL football....though they were good kids at the time.

Not a draft for the ages. Would have preferred we lost our 1st and 2nd in this draft and had the end of 1st given back to us in 2013.

Moore looking a better play than De Goey atm. Absolute jet.

Moore could gone Number 1 IF he was not Father/Son to Collingwood.

De Goey doing well but his Goal Kicking Letting him down.

Though Moore can become something very special IF he stays away from the Injury Bug which he had Problems with

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Moore could gone Number 1 IF he was not Father/Son to Collingwood.

De Goey doing well but his Goal Kicking Letting him down.

Though Moore can become something very special IF he stays away from the Injury Bug which he had Problems with

Pretty much all great sides have a great CHB. Jackovich, Leppitsch, Scarlett/Taylor, Lake/Gibson, etc.

In all the j#zz around the Brownlow midfield medal, and forwards and goal kickers (fair enough hype to some degree), reckon a gun CHB is as important as a gun CHF or midfielder for their ability to influence a game.

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Collingwood be very Happy with there 1st 3 Picks:

1 - De Goey
2 - Moore
3 - Maynard
Better than Richmond. But then we nailed the Rookie draft with 4 future premiership players: #11 Short; #29 Castagna (2 premierships); #46 Lambert (two premierships); #68 Soldo. I wonder if there's any precedent for that? Perhaps the Swans, as they were noted for picking diamonds out of the rough.

Better than Richmond. But then we nailed the Rookie draft with 4 future premiership players: #11 Short; #29 Castagna (2 premierships); #46 Lambert (two premierships); #68 Soldo. I wonder if there's any precedent for that? Perhaps the Swans, as they were noted for picking diamonds out of the rough.

4 guys from the same rookie draft playing in the same Flag team...That has got to be the greatest rookie draft ever. (The other player we picked, Matthew Arnot, must be kicking himself)

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
All the plays listed are role players and not key components of the side

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Im not a huge Richmond fan but Lambert is a definite top 10 player in their team and while he seems unheralded by Richmond fans Castagna is their best pressure small forward due to his tank being much bigger than Rioli and cos

Mr Anderson

Senior List
Aug 12, 2007
Baringhup
AFL Club
Richmond
Im not a huge Richmond fan but Lambert is a definite top 10 player in their team and while he seems unheralded by Richmond fans Castagna is their best pressure small forward due to his tank being much bigger than Rioli and cos
The Loose Cannon is very much appreciated by Tiger supporters, as much because he's consistently prepared to use his speed to take the game ad opposition players on, jump into packs against much bigger men and compete in the air, and is manic in his defensive pressure. Sometimes not even Jason knows where his legs are going to carry him, but that's the beauty of the 'chaos' principle the Tigers play with. Sure, he might lack just a little polish with his kicking, and occasionally decision making might be a tad better, but it's all part of the package. Was the world's shortest CHF in 2017, reinvented as a premier small forward now. 2 time premiership player from 2nd round rookie draft... don't get much better draft value than that.

4 guys from the same rookie draft playing in the same Flag team...That has got to be the greatest rookie draft ever. (The other player we picked, Matthew Arnot, must be kicking himself)
I had to double check that

I don't think you will find a club ever getting 4 players in the one rookie draft who go on to play in the same premiership team for the same club they were drafted too.

That is insanely good

I had to double check that

I don't think you will find a club ever getting 4 players in the one rookie draft who go on to play in the same premiership team for the same club they were drafted too.

That is insanely good

I know, it's wierd.

We had 6 rookies in total (and 2 PSD), which was pretty impressive, but 4 from one draft is just freaky!

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Number one ruck, number one pressure small forward and top ten b&f mid. Yeah role players. Lol. Unfortunately now the supporters are as clueless and disrespectful as the coach.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Number one ruck, number one pressure small forward and top ten b&f mid. Yeah role players. Lol. Unfortunately now the supporters are as clueless and disrespectful as the coach.
Every premiership is won with role players and every premiership team will have a bottom 6 players. Look at Townsend - played a role in 2017 and is now gone. Bottom 6 is critical.

Saintsman14

Debutant
Aug 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
As a realistic options i would have gone
1. Brayshaw, (taken 3)
21. Touk Miller, (taken 29)
22. Alex Neil-Bullen, (taken 40)
41. Jack Lonie, (taken 41)

Although look at the net gain currently;
McCartin, (1)
Mckenzie, (22)
Steele, (24)
Lonie, (41)
Howard, (56)
Bulter, (67)
Austin, (69)

Bar the first two picks not a bad net gain 5 years on.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
All are fringe players in a very strong squad. Nothing wrong with being a role player

Back