Test Rugby 2014 Wallabies Spring Tour

Remove this Banner Ad

France were the better side and deserved the win but the Wallabies did well to get that close. The French side defended really well over the course of the game and Australia looked clueless at times as to how they were going to get past the French defence that kept shooting out of the line to shut down wider attacks. Folau and Kuridrani had barely any opportunities to get space.

Forward pack held up their end of the deal IMO. I thought the pack was quite good and the scrum in particular was good until Skelton came on and Slipper went off. McCalman had his 2nd really good game in a row, he's really impressing me so far this tour. Fainga'a I thought was good again as well.

The complete lack of a real presence at the breakdown shone out too. Hooper gets to so many breakdowns but is very ineffective in terms of pilfering and winning turnovers. Our best man who has recently been in the side in that regard, Scott Fardy, isn't on tour and Pocock is obviously still unavailable. I'd consider promoting Hodgson to the starting line up in place of McMahon for next week. Makes our backrow very short but we really need someone who is capable of winning turnovers consistently in this side.

The French were the better team. Wallabies were okay, but made some pretty poor mistakes. In the end, we were simply outplayed. I'm still hopeful for the next games though.

Not the first time Cheika has failed in Paris. Got sacked the last time he was there.

Maybe they should do it again:D

Yeah let's hire McKensie even though our attack is working better in 2 games lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A real problem is that our depth at prop is poor. There is such a huge drop off from Slipper and Kepu to Robinson and particularly Alexander. We need a new bench tighthead as a matter of urgency.

We were lucky to get that close and have such a great chance of stealing it at the death. Will need to play a lot better against Ireland.

Considering the circumstances, I'm not too concerned about Cheika and the Wallabies yet. Cheika is very similar to Link in the way he operates and coaches. He'll need a year or so before you start seeing results.

As S120 said, the 2 biggest concerns lies within the breakdown and backline. McMahon is an impressive prospect, but he looked way out of his depth today. Hodgson has to come in. Hooper had a poor game today and that's all i'll say.

In terms of the backline, I think Cooper will eventually leapfrog Foley as he gets more gametime. Foley tries hard, but I don't see him adding a lot and he's inferior to Cooper in defence, which is saying a lot. A lot of our defensive problems is coming from the flyhalf/inside centre channel. I wold consider bringing back the Cooper/Toomua combo. All this is dependant on the fitness of Cooper of course; judging from the barbarians game, he's not quite there yet. Folau at fullback is a problem. His kicking isn't good enough and puts way too much pressure on Foley, who himself is an average/poor field kick.

On another note, I think Skelton should be sent home. He's clearly unfit/overweight. If he can't play more than 5 minutes, whats the point of bringing him along? It's a disgrace, this really has the potential to ruin his very promising career.

The thing in favour of Foley over Cooper is his goal kicking. Quade will need to play well and kick well to take the spot.

Agree on McMahon. But I don't mind the fact he got these opportunities now. It will make him a better player, and maybe even by the world cup he could be ready. Certainly in a couple of years he's got the potential to be a really greater player for the Wallabies. For now though I'd like to see Luke Jones get a run at 6.

I'm expecting it'll be quite a different side against Ireland. Cheika has already said he wants to have a look at a few different guys in that match. I hope Godwin is in the 23. I think he's a great prospect.

Considering the circumstances, I'm not too concerned about Cheika and the Wallabies yet. Cheika is very similar to Link in the way he operates and coaches. He'll need a year or so before you start seeing results.

As S120 said, the 2 biggest concerns lies within the breakdown and backline. McMahon is an impressive prospect, but he looked way out of his depth today. Hodgson has to come in. Hooper had a poor game today and that's all i'll say.

In terms of the backline, I think Cooper will eventually leapfrog Foley as he gets more gametime. Foley tries hard, but I don't see him adding a lot and he's inferior to Cooper in defence, which is saying a lot. A lot of our defensive problems is coming from the flyhalf/inside centre channel. I wold consider bringing back the Cooper/Toomua combo. All this is dependant on the fitness of Cooper of course; judging from the barbarians game, he's not quite there yet. Folau at fullback is a problem. His kicking isn't good enough and puts way too much pressure on Foley, who himself is an average/poor field kick.

On another note, I think Skelton should be sent home. He's clearly unfit/overweight. If he can't play more than 5 minutes, whats the point of bringing him along? It's a disgrace, this really has the potential to ruin his very promising career.

Agreed with all four general topics of discussion.

Not worried at all about Cheika and the Wallabies at the moment. There is enough here to improve with over the next 12 months to put in a good showing at the RWC. At this stage, I cannot see the side making the final let alone winning it all, but I'm confident Cheika will have the side in a good place by next October.

Hodgson in for McMahon has to happen. Good on the 20 year old for pushing his way into the Wallabies this early in his career, but we need a more impactful, savvy veteran like Hodgson to attack the breakdown. McMahon will be in a very good spot for this experience. The last time we played Ireland without an openside capable of winning consistent turnovers was the 2011 RWC which I happened to be at and I never want to see that happen again.

Cooper is our best fly half and will be there (assuming he's full fit) for the RWC I believe. Foley is a tremendous kicker and is doing his best to be an impactful director of play but Cooper's straight running and passing (offloading too) is superior and far more dangerous than Foley. Good back up option to have in Foley, particularly late in games when straight kicking will be important, but Quade I think will be there eventually. I'd bring in Toomua for Ireland too. Leali'ifano has been neutral in total over the past two games to me, I think Toomua is a more physical presence in defence and probably more impactful around the ball. A Quade/Toomua 10-12 combo I think is the one to go with.

Skelton has to be dropped. It's been grossly unfair on our TH's to have him packing behind them for the last few weeks. His body position is abominable, offering no genuine, low, square support. Emphasises the dearth of genuine locks we have. I'd have preferred to have Sam Wykes out there (and that's not a rip on Wykes at all). Or give Luke Jones a shot.

On the props, I think Benn Robinson is still OK. Not awful, not what he used to be in terms of scrummaging, but OK. Alexander on the other hand has to go. If Scott Sio was fit, I can't imagine Alexander would still be getting a game.

And of course, one Mr Beale is lurking for a spot in the 23 for this game too, to make things even more interesting. Reckon Henry Speight might get a shot too. Practically speaking, it might be difficult to see this team assembled but I'd love to see:

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Hodgson
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Toomua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC
15. Folau

16. Hanson
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19. Jones
20. McMahon
21. Genia
22. Foley
23. Beale

Last edited:
According to goings on at training over night, looks like this might be the starting XV this weekend.

1. Slipper
2. Faingaa
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Toomua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC
15. Folau

I like that team in terms of experimenting with and promoting players of interest to me. I'd still prefer not to have Carter in the side but I'm very interesting in seeing this side play, particularly as it looks like it will be dry in Dublin. That said, the backline will only get the ability to show off their skills in space if the pack plays well against a ferocious Irish pack that beat the Springboks nicely the other week. Easier said than done. Luke Jones, if indeed he does start, is going to have to grow up mighty quickly against some of these Irish animals.

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds- 61 Tests)
2. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds – 34 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs – 50 Tests)
4. Sam Carter (ACT Brumbies – 9 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds – 48 Tests)
6. Luke Jones (Melbourne Rebels – 1 Test)
7. Michael Hooper (c - NSW Waratahs – 40 Tests)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force – 36 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs – 26 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs – 16 Tests)
11. Henry Speight (ACT Brumbies – uncapped)
12. Matt Toomua (ACT Brumbies – 19 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies – 19 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs – 102 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs – 27 Tests)

Reserves (3 to be omitted)
James Hanson
Tetera Faulkner
Benn Robinson
Ben Alexander
James Horwill
Will Skelton
Jake Schatz
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Rob Horne
Kurtley Beale

I'd omit Alexander, Skelton and Horne from the bench.

Reserves confirmed

16. James Hanson (Queensland Reds – 7 Tests)
17. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs – 70 Tests)
18. Tetera Faulkner (Western Force – 1 Test)
19. Will Skelton (NSW Waratahs – 6 Tests)
20. Jake Schatz (Queensland Reds – 1 Test)
21. Will Genia (Queensland Reds – 57 Tests)
22. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds – 51 Tests)
23. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs – 47 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back