2014 World Tour Races.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I thought he was more on periphery "consulting" with Discovery and Phonak, but don't know. He's certainly not mentioning them in his bio. I read his book on 7-Eleven team and there was no mention of drugs at all even retrospectively which puts a question mark on his honesty. It would be astounding to suggest he didn't know what was going on all through the 25 year period.
My mistake.. Andy Rihs & John Lelangue are the two connections between Phonak & BMC, not Jim Ochowicz.

I always regarded BMC as the reincarnation of Phonak. Didn't realise that Ocowicz wasn't involved in Phonak.

Sagan confuses me. I just don't think he has the smarts or perhaps is too preoccupied with things away from the bike.

He's copped a lot of flack over his descent given he didn't win the stage. Not sure I understand it. For mine Sagan reminds me a lot of Eric Cantona - prodigiously talented, driven, and just loves playing his sport. But also impulsive, fiercely independent and simultaneously loves adulation, but doesn't give a toss if some people don't like him or understand him.

Back to Suisse: He knows he isn't going to win Suisse GC and there is no Suisse points jersey comp. So perhaps another Suisse stage win might be up for grabs but it isn't really that big a deal. Stage win financial prizes are pretty small and split between the team anyway - teams can't survive on just financial winnings. Sponsors are needed and they have to get exposure as compensation. So maybe a stage win in a lower level race gives his team some exposure - but his sponsors' logos got far more TV time by Sagan doing a lairy solo descent than they would have in a winner's jersey presentation. And that is before we start talking about Youtube shares.

So perhaps from that perspective his behaviour seems quite rational. Particularly since his contract is up this year and there is talk of him going to new team - he would have improved his market value. I don't have a problem with what he did. But I also think Sagan is more emotional than rational so it is probably a waste of time trying to analyse his behaviour - I doubt he does himself. I doubt there is much more here than a very talented rider who saw opportunity to have some fun on his bike in front of the world's cameras and thought f... yeah! Nobody got hurt, there are no losers here.

Contador stating he thinks he'll be alright for The Vuelta. Contador, Froom, Purtio, the 57year old, Quintana, Aru and a heap of others! good lord that would be an epic lineup.

Contador stating he thinks he'll be alright for The Vuelta. Contador, Froom, Purtio, the 57year old, Quintana, Aru and a heap of others! good lord that would be an epic lineup.
That's surprising. Especially as you would think a leg injury would mean some significant time off the bike, he'll lose a tonne of form and conditioning.

That's surprising. Especially as you would think a leg injury would mean some significant time off the bike, he'll lose a tonne of form and conditioning.
Yes, it seems today he's come out and stated that he won't be able to ride it. But still should be an epic field!

Cant find out anything else about this so The Age must have the scoop, official announcement on Friday. New WT status race for Victoria to be held after the TDU. Possibly a one day race, so I guess something similar to 3 peaks for pro's maybe, I hope.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycl...nounce-new-victorian-race-20140716-zts4o.html

Few more details up now on cyclingtips...
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/c...o-be-held-the-week-after-the-tour-down-under/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all this talk about the hour record, who will go first Fab, Martin, Wiggo ect wouldn't it be great if one of our track enduros stepped up and had a crack. I'm sure a Bobridge, Dennis or Hepburn would give it a fair shake with the new equipment rules.

San Sebastian tonight, featuring a great profile and top riders.

SanSebastianProfile.jpg

VeloHuman Top 10 Favorites
Winner: Alejandro Valverde
Podium: Philippe Gilbert, Simon Gerrans
Other Top Contenders: Romain Bardet, Daniel Martin, Peter Sagan, Daniel Moreno, Joaquim Rodriguez, Tony Gallopin, Bauke Mollema

http://velohuman.com/race-previews/clasica-ciclista-san-sebastian-2014-preview/

Good race, Rodriguez and Valverde lighting it up on the final climb. Valverde planned that to perfection.

Sad to see Yates crash on the descent towards the end, he looked strong.

Tour de Pologne is next: http://velohuman.com/race-previews/tour-de-pologne-2014-preview/

The Tour de Pologne is the first stage race that follows the Tour de France on the WorldTour calendar. Now in its seventy-first year, it tends to be an exciting and often unpredictable contest, as many riders are coming into the race following La Grande Boucle, hoping to maintain their form for one more week, while others are returning to competition after long midseason breaks, and are therefore in unknown condition. Pieter Weening was the surprise winner of the 2013 edition. Daniel Martin and Moreno Moster both picked up their first WorldTour victories here. Expect more of the unexpected in this year’s journey through Poland.

Winner: Rafal Majka
Podium: Pieter Weening, Dario Cataldo
Other Top Contenders: Ion Izagirre, Wout Poels, Bob Jungels, Christophe Riblon, Ryder Hesjedal, Robert Gesink, Fabio Aru

Stage 5 and 6 will decide the winner:

profile-05.jpg

profile-06.jpg

Good to see him getting results, will have to go down as one of the most consistent riders this millennium.
The thing that sets him apart from most is that he is (or was) equally adept at stage races and one day classics. He had a really punchy kick that could win him races, but he could climb with the best of them. Of what I've seen, Valverde is the only guy who has been as consistent as Cadel over the two disciplines.

The thing that sets him apart from most is that he is (or was) equally adept at stage races and one day classics. He had a really punchy kick that could win him races, but he could climb with the best of them. Of what I've seen, Valverde is the only guy who has been as consistent as Cadel over the two disciplines.
Love the fact that Cadel could put in a good sprint. Makes him that much more versatile and exciting, especially since his climbing style isn't the most dynamic.

Just a smart cyclist through and through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back