% of population in attendance: 1.99%

Australia V New Zealand 3rd Test @ Adelaide Oval

Day 1:
Day 2: 42,372
Day 3: 33,923

Total: 124,736 (41,579)
Greater Adelaide Population (2014 ABS): 1.3 million
% of population in attendance: 9.60%*

* If it is cautiously estimated that a total of 30,000 people would have attended days 4 and 5, it would have pushed the % to 11.9% - 6x the Perth relative attendance.

Australia V West Indies 1st Test @ Bellerive Oval

Day 1:
Day 2: 5,071
Day 3: 4,345

Total:
Greater Hobart Population (2011 ABS): 212k
% of population in attendance:

Big Bash League

Match 1: Thunder V Sixers @ Spotless (18,287)
Match 2: Strikers V Stars @ Adelaide Oval (27,611)
Match 3: Heat V Renegades @ Gabba (26,245)
Match 4: Sixers V Hurricanes @ SCG (20,072)
Match 5: Stars V Thunder @ MCG (18,809)
Match 6: Scorchers V Strikers @ WACA (20,553)
Match 7: Hurricanes V Heat @ Bellerive (14,848)
Match 8: Renegades V Sixers @ Docklands (20,850)
Match 9: Scorchers V Heat @ WACA (19,255)
Match 10: Sixers V Stars @ MCG (29,104)
Match 11: Thunder V Strikers @ Spotless (21,500)
Match 12: Heat V Hurricanes @ Gabba (29,876)
Match 13: Renegades V Scorchers @ Docklands (26,787)
Match 14: Strikers V Sixers @ Adelaide Oval (46,389)
Match 15: Hurricanes V Thunder @ Bellerive (17,151)

Last edited:
I'm interested in our cricket crowd numbers, especially as Tests crowds around the world are collapsing. The first Test in Brisbane was the highest crowd for a Test against New Zealand in the city, yet I still thought it was dreadful in Australia's 3rd largest city. Once again food and tickets prices were insane.

ABC Grandstand has a good article on the crowd situation.
On the fifth day of the Gabba Test I counted the crowd by hand. It didn't take long.

In the seats at the Vulture Street end, 280 people watched Australia win big and New Zealand go down swinging. Another 120 sat in the shade on the eastern side of the ground.

The rest of the stadium was blocked off with barriers and security guards who just about outnumbered their wards. These fluorescent warriors must have been included for the official count to top 1,300, because the balance of the crowd was not carousing at the bar. The internal concourses matched the hollow echo of the unlovely concrete bowl they circumnavigate.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...come-back-the-cricket-must-be-cheaper/6935088

Some of the criticism of crowds coming from melbourne/Sydney/Adelaide is a bit rich IMO. Particularly this year. Melbourne in particular has the luxury of a guarenteed public holiday to start their test, often a weekend as well, this year they have the first three days all weekend/public holiday. Sydney doesn't quite have that, last year it wasnt till the 5th day that it wasn't a work day, but it was a school holidays still. In Adelaide you have the day night factor this year making it much easier for patrons.

Compared to brisbane, who have the first two days as work days, day three the same day as everyone plays cricket, day four dodgy forecast. Especially when the game was all but over after two days. Or WA where its 35 plus degrees every day and again, several days are work days, kids are at school etc.

Helps to reinforce where the power lies in cricket, which I guess is what is wanted from the Sydney/Melbourne region anyway.

Really need to look at stripping the Gabba of the test going forward. Poor crowds, boring stadium, boring pitch.

Well, replace it with Hobart and Canberra can be the '6th' venue like Hobart is now

LOL ok. I am sure the pitches will be better and the crowds will be huge in those 2 places.

Everybody seems to be scating around the real issue. It could be free and the crowds would still be ordinary because the kiwi bowlers especially are rubbish.

Crowds at the WACA will be ordinary too because there's no competition. What's the point of going to a sporting contest if there is none?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowds are down because test match cricket is boring, pitches around the world are roads designed to get to the fifth day for the $$$$$$$ from TV or spinning dustbowls in India and the UAE designed to deliver the home side a massive advantage, most of the countries are rubbish who only play tests because they have to or only give a s**t in their home country.
And lets be honest, who wants to watch cricket for 6-7 hours unless your a fanatic.

Brisbane seem to be fighting to remain the first test of the summer, I think crowd wise they would be much better off having a later test rather than early November. I think test 1 in anything but an Ashes Tour is a bit of a poisoned chalice.

Brisbane seem to be fighting to remain the first test of the summer, I think crowd wise they would be much better off having a later test rather than early November. I think test 1 in anything but an Ashes Tour is a bit of a poisoned chalice.
The first is normally in the last week of November or first week of December

Crowds are down because test match cricket is boring, pitches around the world are roads designed to get to the fifth day for the $$$$$$$ from TV or spinning dustbowls in India and the UAE designed to deliver the home side a massive advantage, most of the countries are rubbish who only play tests because they have to or only give a s**t in their home country.
And lets be honest, who wants to watch cricket for 6-7 hours unless your a fanatic.
What's interesting is that matches aren't making the 5th day in a rate higher than ever before.

Could easily have the whole match abandoned if you play too much later. Theres more rain and more wet days in December and January than in November

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I'm interested in our cricket crowd numbers, especially as Tests crowds around the world are collapsing. The first Test in Brisbane was the highest crowd for a Test against New Zealand in the city, yet I still thought it was dreadful in Australia's 3rd largest city. Once again food and tickets prices were insane.

ABC Grandstand has a good article on the crowd situation.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...come-back-the-cricket-must-be-cheaper/6935088
That's our friend Geoff Lemon again.

And again, he nails it. :thumbsu:

What's interesting is that matches aren't making the 5th day in a rate higher than ever before.
And more series are getting won by the home team than ever before as well I think.
Australia, Saffas and England are the only teams that care about tests home and away.
India, Pakistan and maybe New Zealand only care about tests in their own country.
Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the Windies don't care about tests at all and would prefer to play T20's forever.

I rarely watch cricket these days, follow it a little bit, but the thing is I played it for 25 years, commentry is a disgrace and the game is boring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back