Socceroos 2015 ASIAN CUP FINAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

I just learned Australia is the first national team with cup titles in two separate confederations. Fail by me.

A record not likely to be broken. The only current candidate who could equal that is Israel who have won the Asian Cup but are very unlikely to ever win a Euro Cup.

New Zealand a slim chance if they join AFC.

A record not likely to be broken. The only current candidate who could equal that is Israel who have won the Asian Cup but are very unlikely to ever win a Euro Cup.

New Zealand a slim chance if they join AFC.
NZ are no chance.

This beats Olympics glory?
If you read my post carefully, I said, "Congratulations to Ange and his players for achieving what is the most significant victory of any men's national sporting team in Australia's history thus far.

I was extra careful in pointing out MEN'S TEAM so it couldn't be confused with individual persons' performance but I wasn't specific enough, obviously.

Football is played in every country on earth. I haven't seen an Ivory Coast push bike team, or a Chadian 4 x 100 freestyle team.

Last edited:
Settle down.

You know it wasn't the World Cup don't you?
I'm an Arsenal supporter too and one of the things that really let's our club down is that we seem to have an oversupply of moronic hair gel gumbys as supporters, you know, the types that boo Fabregas when we play Chelsea 'cause our gumby manager wouldn't sign him, you know the ones I mean?

The same type that can't comprehend the most simple of statements like, "the most significant win by an Australian national men's sporting team thus far." Comes the reply "duhhhh, not da world cup you know". You tell me how the second statement has any possible reference to the first.

You do know what "thus far" means don't you?

Ange was not out of his depth. He was right in everything he said. The technical ability in this country from a coaching and development standpoint was non-existant. The players were not able to be developed accordingly. Now some 8-10yrs on, it's the buzz word in this country about development and technical ability. He made it clear the players had played next to none competitive matches prior to the tournament. They weren't match fit or battle hardened/prepared for a tournament. He told them Laos were disqualified for using over age players.

Everyone was out of touch with reality at the time- that we were nowhere near ready on a youth level to compete to the standards required. This is what Ange was tryin to build but wasn't given time. He was almost lost too football after this ambush.

Even now, we win the Asian Cup and he still maintains we aren't good enough still. We are still miles off. The man is a visionary. He understands what is required, what has to happen and the Country is finally standing up and listening.
Ange has a professional persons understanding of sport. Murray, Foster and the other SBS mafioso are a reflection of the 60', 70's, 80's types who you used to see every week at the local soccer where, if a team had an off day they were, according to them, "paid" to do so, "greeks is the best", "italian's is the best", "i am serbian, you croatian, i shoot you", "i am croatian, you serbian, i shoot you", "australia is s**t" wah, wah, wah wah and when an overseas side visited our shore to play an exhibition match, national or team side, fathers, with their Australian born sons in tow, would barrack their arses off for the overseas sides and hurl abuse at the Australian side.

That's the mentality we have had to fight for donkey's years in this country and along comes Foster, anointed by the kingmaker Murray as "a football expert and analyst" and this useless, incompetent w**ker has done more in holding back the game than any other back-yarder.

Comments through the World Cup in South Africa that were an incitement to players to disregard what their coach was asking them to do and do their own thing. His inane comments concerning "formations" where, if you listen to Foster, if you play the "correct formation", (whatever the f**k that is!), you win.

I have strongly advised parents over the years to get their kids to leave the room when Foster comes on the teli and not listen to anything he has to say because he is a danger to the proper development of youngsters. Murray has been grooming Zelic to take over Foster's gig when he's finished. You know, that prick that spat the dummy and "retired" because a national team coach started him on the bench.

Postecoglou is a winner and he wants to win. That means that you do not place ceilings on anything. You do not accept mediocrity even if others reckon that it's good enough. You do not compromise. Good onya Ange!

I'm an Arsenal supporter too and one of the things that really let's our club down is that we seem to have an oversupply of moronic hair gel gumbys as supporters, you know, the types that boo Fabregas when we play Chelsea 'cause our gumby manager wouldn't sign him, you know the ones I mean?

The same type that can't comprehend the most simple of statements like, "the most significant win by an Australian national men's sporting team thus far." Comes the reply "duhhhh, not da world cup you know". You tell me how the second statement has any possible reference to the first.

You do know what "thus far" means don't you?

There is far too much wrong with what you have written to break it down.

Since you have completely failed to address any of the reasons I explained in subsequent posts though, I don't think any structured reply is warranted. All you do is try to use condescension to get your poor point across. Come back when you think you can address my reasoning and don't need to resort to childish insults.

There is far too much wrong with what you have written to break it down.

Since you have completely failed to address any of the reasons I explained in subsequent posts though, I don't think any structured reply is warranted. All you do is try to use condescension to get your poor point across. Come back when you think you can address my reasoning and don't need to resort to childish insults.
What f****ng reasoning?

I posted that it was the most significant win by an Australian men's national team and you told me to settle down and it's "not the world cup you know".

I made the point that it was a marvellous achievement by our Socceroos and you, instead of saying that this that or the other achievement by whichever national men's team was better because ...... you just hit the nark default button.

"Gee, that fella just crawled across The Sturt Stony Desert with both of his legs broken in the middle of summer to safety".
Andronicus : "Settle down, it wasn't the Sahara you know!".

What f****ng reasoning?

I posted that it was the most significant win by an Australian men's national team and you told me to settle down and it's "not the world cup you know".

I made the point that it was a marvellous achievement by our Socceroos and you, instead of saying that this that or the other achievement by whichever national men's team was better because ...... you just hit the nark default button.

"Gee, that fella just crawled across The Sturt Stony Desert with both of his legs broken in the middle of summer to safety".
I would rate Olympic Gold over an Asian tournament. As an example, check out Australia's performances in hockey.

I would rate Olympic Gold over an Asian tournament. As an example, check out Australia's performances in hockey.
Agreed.

What f****ng reasoning?

I guess in your haste to bring up the completely irrelevant story of why you hate arsenal supporters so much you didn't read any further into the discussion that followed.

Well done champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah, we have been extraordinarily successful in Hockey and it is a brilliant sport and there is no way I would want to even be seen to denigrate the great Kookaburras, not to mention the Hockeyroos but we're talking men's team sports so I won't.

It's just that, well, there are about 3,000,000 hockey players world wide compared to some 85,000,000 soccer players in Asia with 26,000,000 of these in China alone! As someone else mentioned, Football is the world game, it's universal, whereas Hockey is played by a fraction of people world wide but that, in no way implies that the sport or the achievement of the Kookaburras is somehow mediocre; it isn't.

I just get a feeling that we in Australia just don't get how significant the Socceroo achievement is.

I guess in your haste to bring up the completely irrelevant story of why you hate arsenal supporters so much you didn't read any further into the discussion that followed.

Well done champ.
Mate, I'm an Arsenal supporter and I did read your subsequent posts but you keep missing the point.

I didn't deny you were. You see I read your post in entirety. Still no idea why you bring up some rant about arsenal though.

You seem to think it makes the rest of your drivel relevant.

It doesn't, and this was a long way from the greatest men's team victory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back