Remove this Banner Ad

B: Baguley Hooker Fletch
HB: Hibberd Hurley Goddard
C: Heppell Watson Myers
HF: Colyer Carlisle Zerret
F: Chappy Daniher Winderlich

Foll: Ryder Zaka Hocking
Int: Dempsey Bellchambers Ambrose Gleeson

sorry Stants, Melk & Howlett... too big of a liability.

F: Chappy Daniher Winderlich

Foll: Ryder Zaka Hocking
Int: Dempsey Bellchambers Ambrose Gleeson

sorry Stants, Melk & Howlett... too big of a liability.
See Gleeson is just not ahead of Stanton. We all might like him to be and by early next season if he improves while Stanton declines, then he might just make it. But right now? Would you seriously play Gleeson before Stanton when it counts? For that matter, would you really field that team with Ambrose instead of Stanton? Talk about unbalanced!
I don't really get this thread... Is it a wishful forecast of best 22 next year? Or is it best 22 where things stand right now? Is it best 22 regardless of team balance? Or is it best 22 that you would field tomorrow if your life depended on the result?

Hannebery's speed is underrated. Melksham is the best suited to those types anyway, Ashby I can't make a comparison (none really spring to mind) but he's a smart footballer with good leadership, composure and skills. Not overly strong overhead, but his hands below his knees are top notch. Kind of like Welsh with better skills and composure.

Really not strong overhead? Whenever I watch him (Nab Cup, couple of AFL games, 2 or 3 VFL games) he always seems to take a couple of very strong marks.

The expectation was that T-Bell may leave at the end of 2015 - AS long as Thompson/Hird are happy to play JD as back up ruck, that means all four won't play in the same team - And it doesn't work.
Don't think that is the case. Particularly given that Bomber has previously indicated the opposite.
If TBC is in form he can ruck at least half the game allowing us the ideal forward line that includes Ryder. But furthermore, TBC has shown in the past that he is good for a goal or two a game himself. Under most circumstances i think it is possible to get away with Carlisle, JD and TBC in the same forward line for a quarter or so. But if there are some form issues there that mean we are getting rebounded on too easily, we can always switch Hurley forward and Carlisle back to keep the balance right as required.
2014 hasn't been a true test of the concept given Carlisle was finding his feet, JD was getting out muscled and TBC was injured the whole year. We might just be looking at the emergence of one of the all time great forward lines, so i think it's worth some persistence. Can anyone here imagine for a minute what damage these guys could do if they were all in decent form together?! Also i think as JD improves, his skills down low will go some way to ameliorating the "too tall and slow" factor of him, Carlisle and TBC playing together.

Just change the title of the thread to "The 22 you think should play in 2015" or merge it with the Bigger Picture already.

The best 22 is basically the team the played against North with Fletcher and Carlisle. There is maybe one contentious position and it all depends on what we do with Bellchambers and Ambrose (in a team that includes Fletcher and Carlisle) and the answer to that should reveal itself in the NAB cup.

No one is seriously addressing a best 22 by making speculative calls on youngsters they have hardly seen play. I agree that we ought to cut back on some of the stodge in our midfield and that some hard calls need to be made but until you've seen Kav, Dalgleish, Edwards or whoever kill it in the NAB cup it ridiculous to say that the 22 that played against North would be stronger for their presence.

Don't think that is the case. Particularly given that Bomber has previously indicated the opposite.
If TBC is in form he can ruck at least half the game allowing us the ideal forward line that includes Ryder. But furthermore, TBC has shown in the past that he is good for a goal or two a game himself. Under most circumstances i think it is possible to get away with Carlisle, JD and TBC in the same forward line for a quarter or so. But if there are some form issues there that mean we are getting rebounded on too easily, we can always switch Hurley forward and Carlisle back to keep the balance right as required.
2014 hasn't been a true test of the concept given Carlisle was finding his feet, JD was getting out muscled and TBC was injured the whole year. We might just be looking at the emergence of one of the all time great forward lines, so i think it's worth some persistence. Can anyone here imagine for a minute what damage these guys could do if they were all in decent form together?! Also i think as JD improves, his skills down low will go some way to ameliorating the "too tall and slow" factor of him, Carlisle and TBC playing together.

You are defeating the purpose if you are forced to switch Hurley for Carlisle - Have a look at how the top 5 teams structure their forward lines.

You are defeating the purpose if you are forced to switch Hurley for Carlisle - Have a look at how the top 5 teams structure their forward lines.

Not to mention that Hurley provides a point of difference in terms of the type of players he does well on. Hooker and Carlisle are essentially the same defender and struggle on the same types of forwards.

I'd also prefer the Carlisle that played forward from the Geelong match this year to basically anything he could produce in defence.

I don't think being forced to make that switch for one quarter of a game is any sort of big deal. Perhaps a bigger issue is that Ryder would be being played primarily as a forward which means we miss out on his ruck work for most of the game. I can imagine the pendulum swinging back and forth over the years regarding the best balance of ruck work between Ryder and TBC...

I don't think being forced to make that switch for one quarter of a game is any sort of big deal. Perhaps a bigger issue is that Ryder would be being played primarily as a forward which means we miss out on his ruck work for most of the game. I can imagine the pendulum swinging back and forth over the years regarding the best balance of ruck work between Ryder and TBC...

Ryder and T-Bell will not regularly play in the same 22, as long as JD plays forward.

See Gleeson is just not ahead of Stanton. We all might like him to be and by early next season if he improves while Stanton declines, then he might just make it. But right now? Would you seriously play Gleeson before Stanton when it counts?

yeah I would

and you know why? because Stanton f***s it up when it counts.

best 22 for 2015 is not who you would play this Saturday, it's who you would play round 1, 2015.

this time last year I had Colyer in my best 22 for the following season and people said the same thing. but that's the whole point of this exercise: who will be the best in 2015. I think Gleeson will be. I could be wrong, time will tell.

yeah I would

and you know why? because Stanton f***s it up when it counts.

best 22 for 2015 is not who you would play this Saturday, it's who you would play round 1, 2015.

this time last year I had Colyer in my best 22 for the following season and people said the same thing. but that's the whole point of this exercise: who will be the best in 2015. I think Gleeson will be. I could be wrong, time will tell.
Hate the over reaction against Stants on BF. Been one of our top players for years, stuffs up once and suddenly is vilified and no long best 22. Thank god the coaching staff have perspective...
I should have read the thread title more carefully. So as an exercise for predicting who will play round one (not necessarily best 22), I'd go;

Foll: Ryder Zaka Aylett
Int: Dempsey Bellchambers Stanton Browne

Can't predict the injuries but its a fair bet that Licha will be one of them! If one of the talls go down then Ambrose or Pears would be first off the rank. Without fail they reward preseason form from the youngsters, so Browne would be a certainty if he gets through. I expect big things from Aylett in the preseason which means Hockings spot is under genuine threat like Howletts place was in 2014.
There is a raft of players that i just cannot predict for round one or early in the season. Jackson or Gleeson will probably take someones place who is under performing. Ashby will give Fletch/Dempsey a serious run for their money. Colyer will want to be on top of his game because i don't think he is a lock if his form slips at all, which could easily bring Dalgleish/Kommer/Hams into play.

Hate the over reaction against Stants on BF. Been one of our top players for years, stuffs up once and suddenly is vilified and no long best 22. Thank god the coaching staff have perspective...
I should have read the thread title more carefully. So as an exercise for predicting who will play round one (not necessarily best 22), I'd go;

Foll: Ryder Zaka Aylett
Int: Dempsey Bellchambers Stanton Browne

Can't predict the injuries but its a fair bet that Licha will be one of them! If one of the talls go down then Ambrose or Pears would be first off the rank. Without fail they reward preseason form from the youngsters, so Browne would be a certainty if he gets through. I expect big things from Aylett in the preseason which means Hockings spot is under genuine threat like Howletts place was in 2014.
There is a raft of players that i just cannot predict for round one or early in the season. Jackson or Gleeson will probably take someones place who is under performing. Ashby will give Fletch/Dempsey a serious run for their money. Colyer will want to be on top of his game because i don't think he is a lock if his form slips at all, which could easily bring Dalgleish/Kommer/Hams into play.
The over reaction is probably due to the fact that you have 'praised' Stanton.. but then go on to put him on your bench.. and then mention the names Gleeson, J Merrett as possible inclusions. You also have guys like Melkshame who might get back to his 2013 form.. Howlett, Dalgleish etc etc..

All most of us are suggesting is that in all likelihood Stanton will be overtaken by either Gleeson or Merrett or another young kid, at SOME POINT in the next year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The over reaction is probably due to the fact that you have 'praised' Stanton.. but then go on to put him on your bench.. and then mention the names Gleeson, J Merrett as possible inclusions. You also have guys like Melkshame who might get back to his 2013 form.. Howlett, Dalgleish etc etc..

All most of us are suggesting is that in all likelihood Stanton will be overtaken by either Gleeson or Merrett or another young kid, at SOME POINT in the next year...
What can i say, its a tough team to get into at the moment and Stants is a little bit between roles at the moment if, as most agree, his time in the midfield needs to be limited. There is a difference between saying he might get overtaken by a young gun, and saying "Stanton f***s it up when it counts". Derogatory comments about him are unwarranted. Identifying him as one of a few who's spots are in danger is common sense because of our midfield imbalance.

ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would love Essendon supporters to pay attention to this post + respond.
Why? Because I am a Essendon tragic... which means despite day to day life going pretty well I am in a state of lull due to ASADA and Ryder... So would appreciate some feedback on my thoughts for clarity.
(p.s. I consider myself I good football reader [top 500 in Supercoach the last 4 years] ...lol... sh*tty way to post a CV but true)

SO EVERYTHING is very depressing at the moment.
BUT focusing on the positives is the only thing you can do...

Best 22 for next year.

losing Ryder... PAINFUL!!!!... BUT, playing 3 tall TALL forwards + a ruck was never really possible.. meaning Ryder RUCK, Bellchamers FWD, Daniher FWD, Carlisle FWD... wasn't going to happen.. So losing a ruck for trades isn't the end of the world... CLEARLY Paddy was our best ruck (no doubt in the top 3 of the comp).. so would have preferred keep him over Belly... BUT Belly is a good ruckman ... good alternative (forget this year, injury killed killed his season).

AND yes we are not going to get what PADDY is worth... so lets just cross our fingers its somewhat decent + we can repeat recent drafts and pull some good players deep into the draft...

INTO the BEST 22...
MY THINKING..... which is slightly different... IS choosing the best of the next with the senior players to support (you'll understand when you view the 22)

I ALSO think Dempsey will GO for a 2nd round draft pick.... I like Dempsey, but with Gleeson and Ashby is the wings, good time to trade him.

B: Pears Hurley Baguley
HB: Gleeson Hooker Hibberd
C: J Merrett Heppell Zaka
HF: (NEW PLAYER) Carlisle Colyer
F: Winderlich Daniher Z Merrett
Foll: Belly Watson Myers
Int: Goddard Stanton Chappy Melksham

Give the NEXT the confidence of starting with the senior players to come off the bench.

To come in / To miss.............

FLETCHER - We will nurse him through the 7 games he needs for 400... Giving the key defense a rest... or filling in for injury... and come finals if he is playing better than other then he gets the spot.

HOCKING -To play at least half the games especially teams with ridiculous players (Ablett, Pendles) but I think we need to back our MIDS in.. with 2 premiums (Watson, Heppell) and Myers / Zaka on the verge... Lets back em in.

HOWLETT - I do like him... But time to go... Not part of future (sorry).

ASHBY - To mix it up with Gleeson off half back..

KOMMER - To come in as Chappy / Z Merrett rest.

KAVANAGH - Make or break season... to come in for games early rounds... hopefully he is impressive.

HAMS / O'BRIEN / EDWARDS / BROWNE / FANTASIA / AMBROSE - All players that will get a chance throughout the season. Hope they impress.

AYLETT / GREGOTY / DALGLEISH / VAN UNEN / JETTA / HARDINGHAM - All gone I think.

(NEW PLAYER) - NEVER guess who I want... Because I can hardly believe it.... Jack WATTS!!!!!!!!!!! He would actually fit in perfectly to the team above. For our end of first round pick.

THOUGHTS???????????????????????????????

Like your 22 Joeyjoejoe, reckon your pretty close to it. We certainly need guys like Gleeson, J.Merrett, & Pears to step up, when lots of our quality players are will be getting older....
We certainly dont have a young list any more, and in 2015 Fletch will be 40, Chappy 33, Winders 31, BJ & Jobe 30, and Stants 29.
Really need some younger guys to step up and hopefully we can pick up some decent players through the draft.

Why? Because I am a Essendon tragic... which means despite day to day life going pretty well I am in a state of lull due to ASADA and Ryder... So would appreciate some feedback on my thoughts for clarity.
(p.s. I consider myself I good football reader [top 500 in Supercoach the last 4 years] ...lol... sh*tty way to post a CV but true)

Best 22 for next year.

losing Ryder... PAINFUL!!!!... BUT, playing 3 tall TALL forwards + a ruck was never really possible.. meaning Ryder RUCK, Bellchamers FWD, Daniher FWD, Carlisle FWD... wasn't going to happen.. So losing a ruck for trades isn't the end of the world... CLEARLY Paddy was our best ruck (no doubt in the top 3 of the comp).. so would have preferred keep him over Belly... BUT Belly is a good ruckman ... good alternative (forget this year, injury killed killed his season).

AND yes we are not going to get what PADDY is worth... so lets just cross our fingers its somewhat decent + we can repeat recent drafts and pull some good players deep into the draft...

INTO the BEST 22...
MY THINKING..... which is slightly different... IS choosing the best of the next with the senior players to support (you'll understand when you view the 22)

I ALSO think Dempsey will GO for a 2nd round draft pick.... I like Dempsey, but with Gleeson and Ashby is the wings, good time to trade him.

Give the NEXT the confidence of starting with the senior players to come off the bench.

FLETCHER - We will nurse him through the 7 games he needs for 400... Giving the key defense a rest... or filling in for injury... and come finals if he is playing better than other then he gets the spot.

HOCKING -To play at least half the games especially teams with ridiculous players (Ablett, Pendles) but I think we need to back our MIDS in.. with 2 premiums (Watson, Heppell) and Myers / Zaka on the verge... Lets back em in.

KAVANAGH - Make or break season... to come in for games early rounds... hopefully he is impressive.

HAMS / O'BRIEN / EDWARDS / BROWNE / FANTASIA / AMBROSE - All players that will get a chance throughout the season. Hope they impress.

AYLETT / GREGOTY / DALGLEISH / VAN UNEN / JETTA / HARDINGHAM - All gone I think.

(NEW PLAYER) - NEVER guess who I want... Because I can hardly believe it.... Jack WATTS!!!!!!!!!!! He would actually fit in perfectly to the team above. For our end of first round pick.

Nice...
Aylett gone? I would have him ranked up along side Ashby as a player for the future... What makes you say that?

Kommer is a really interesting one this year... There should be some expectation that he might break in this year. The coaches love him and he is coming into his peak years as a footballer. His aggression on the forward line could see him become the bookend for Bags.

Hocking deserves more than that... He has been a pivotal player in some games, and if his role needs adjusting then that is the first step.

Not sure about Watts

Best 22 for next year.

INTO the BEST 22...

Looks pretty good, not sure about Aylett & Dalgleish gone though. Particulaly Dalgleish who showed a bit before injured

Wouldn't mind a rolling poll for this thread mods (Orazio2Joe Doss ??) and continually update each line we are polling.

Would love to know what peoples thinking is in regards to our best 22, line by line.

Is it a general consensus that our back 3 is;

Dustin Fletcher - Cale Hooker - Mark Baguley ?

Who could come in and surpass Fletcher next year? Will Baguley stay in a back pocket (I think he will). What youngster will push their case for a spot in this 3?

Best 22 for next year.

INTO the BEST 22...

you lost me at "Pears"

In spite of all the crap going on at the club we still have a more than competitive best 22.
We need some ruck back-up for TBell though now...

Baguley Hurley Fletch/Gwilt
Hibberd Hooker Dempsey
Colyer Watson Myers
Zakka Daniher Z.Merrett
Goddard Carlisle Chapman/Winders

T Bell Heppell Hocking

Others:
Stanton Howlett Kommer Gleeson
J.Merrett Ambrose Fantasia Steinberg
Melksham Ashby Edwards Browne

AFL side
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
HB: Dempsey - Hurley - Hibberd
C: Zaka - Watson - Stanton
HF: Z.Merret - Carlisle - Goddard
F: Chapman - Daniher - Winderlich
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Hocking

I/C: Colyer - Ambrose - Myers - (2nd ruckmen)

VFL side

B: Ashby - Pears - Browne
HB: Dalgleish - Gwilt - Gleeson
C: Fantasia - Hams - Kavanagh
HF: Melksham - (draftee) - J.Merret
F: Kommer - (draftee) - Edwards
R: (draftee) - Howlett - O'Brien

I/C: McKenna, Rayner, Aylett, (draftee), (draftee), (Draftee)

AFL side
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
HB: Dempsey - Hurley - Hibberd
C: Zaka - Watson - Stanton
HF: Z.Merret - Carlisle - Goddard
F: Chapman - Daniher - Winderlich
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Hocking

I/C: Colyer - Ambrose - Myers - (2nd ruckmen)

VFL side

B: Ashby - Pears - Browne
HB: Dalgleish - Gwilt - Gleeson
C: Fantasia - Hams - Kavanagh
HF: Melksham - (draftee) - J.Merret
F: Kommer - (draftee) - Edwards
R: (draftee) - Howlett - O'Brien

I/C: McKenna, Rayner, Aylett, (draftee), (draftee), (Draftee)
If we had our current VFL list:

Gwilt - Freezer (c) - Schulz
Edwards - Steinberg - Dalgleish
Ashby - Aylett - Gleeson
Merrett - O'Brien - Fantasia
Kommer - Kefford - Kavanagh
Tagliabue - Howkett - Melksham
Browne - Coghlan - Rayner - McKenna - Hams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back