News 2015 Captain is Rocky!

Remove this Banner Ad

That Christ for that, we no longer have the worst Captain in the AFL
ahhh trolling it up? or you dont watch the Lions.. Jed is a great player who is the equal of at least two other AFL captains that i can think of and more importantly he is crucial to the defensive structure for the Lions and our best small defender and rebounder.. most importantly, he is a good bloke with excellent communication skills and a squeaky clean record who the players were willing to follow into battle.. pisses me off when ppl like you go after blokes doing nothing but their best for the club you supposedly follow..

He's an excellent leader. He's vital to the team. He's a guaranteed selection.
So... why the change?
I suggest because Rocky is more excellent, more vital, more guaranteed and will lead us for the next five years at least.

Wow you must think our players are morons given they're the ones that picked Adcock.
Slax could have worded it a little better but Jed was rarely used as a club mouth piece, was never a captain/B&F winner/Leading goal kicker and sadly, underrated by many both locally and interstate [including myself] as a club leader.

Personally, I now think his football will improve without the pressures of being the club captain.

Slax could have worded it a little better but Jed was rarely used as a club mouth piece, was never a captain/B&F winner/Leading goal kicker and sadly, underrated by many both locally and interstate [including myself] as a club leader.

Personally, I now think his football will improve without the pressures of being the club captain.

Not quite sure about the bolded bit, but a question of what balance there is between on and off field concerns is interesting. However if the club was asking the players to vote for their captain, then obviously they have a higher concern on the former than the latter. I doubt players are sitting around thinking who'd look the best facing up to Channel 7. It seems a bit unfair to penalize your view of a captain because he didn't play the media game when the selection criteria didn't value that.

agree, probably could of.

Jed was the sort of bloke you want in the leadership group as he is good a helping you kids, but he is was never cut out for the role as an AFL captain, he got it more out of the lack of an alternative as much as anything else. With a serious lack of any players in the mid-late 20s who were suitable he was a safe selection by the club. Now he can go back and organise our defence (which does need work) and not worry about the overall captaincy duties.

agree, probably could of.

Jed was the sort of bloke you want in the leadership group as he is good a helping you kids, but he is was never cut out for the role as an AFL captain, he got it more out of the lack of an alternative as much as anything else. With a serious lack of any players in the mid-late 20s who were suitable he was a safe selection by the club. Now he can go back and organise our defence (which does need work) and not worry about the overall captaincy duties.

Much better post. :thumbsu:

BTW if you consider Adcock the worst captain, you're ranking him below a guy who walked out on his club and Marc Murphy.

Not quite sure about the bolded bit, but a question of what balance there is between on and off field concerns is interesting. However if the club was asking the players to vote for their captain, then obviously they have a higher concern on the former than the latter. I doubt players are sitting around thinking who'd look the best facing up to Channel 7. It seems a bit unfair to penalize your view of a captain because he didn't play the media game when the selection criteria didn't value that.
"was never a captain/B&F winner/Leading goal kicker" - was meant to read someone who in the role of captain had not achieved club B&F or leading goal kicker - Historically, onfield leader was the foundation of being a VFL/AFL captain - combine this with B&F or leading goal kicker, a done deal.

Now days, add media savy, All-Australian expectations and club loyalty... Marketing 101-JFK model has a lot to answer for but hey, that's the world we live in, where supporter/public opinion/expectation not only counts for 'something' but also equates to Dollar$.

"was never a captain/B&F winner/Leading goal kicker" - was meant to read someone who in the role of captain had not achieved club B&F or leading goal kicker - Historically, onfield leader was the foundation of being a VFL/AFL captain - combine this with B&F or leading goal kicker, a done deal.

Now days, add media savy, All-Australian expectations and club loyalty... Marketing 101-JFK model has a lot to answer for but hey, that's the world we live in, where supporter/public opinion/expectation not only counts for 'something' but also equates to Dollar$.

Then I'd suggest that you're arguing that the club made a mistake in allowing the players to pick the captain if that was the aim.

He's an excellent leader. He's vital to the team. He's a guaranteed selection.

So... why the change?
Just because someone is viewed as a better choice for a role, doesn't necessarily take away from the incumbent. I don't think the players or coaches suddenly decided Jed was no good, just that Rocky is the one to take them forward from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldnt be happier, has been obviously for at least 2 years, probably 3 that Rocky was the next captain. I think this move has come early, but it is about establishing a long term captain.

Disappointed that some of our own here undervalue what Adcock brings to the table. Adcock was talked up as captain material just about since he walked into the club. He is a vital member of our team and his mentoring role will be really valuable.

It was always going to happen and i suppose with the whole regeneration of club we're experiencing at the moment it couldn't have come at a better time.

There is a lot to like about this up and coming group of players and Rockliff is the right man to lead them

Then I'd suggest that you're arguing that the club made a mistake in allowing the players to pick the captain if that was the aim.
Certainly not arguing that, Jed rightly deserved being named a co-captain in 2013 and I also believe he was OUR most suitable when, this time last year "during a leadership conference in Noosa involving core Senior players", he was named the sole 2014 Captain - with Rocky named VC.

If I am at fault, then I'd suggest it is where I may personally rank Jed among the 17 other AFL captains - I will have a think and post my 1 to 18 - later tonight for discussion. :thumbsu:

I should also add - his tackle then 50m goal in the 2nd quarter against the pies - was "classic captain" stuff and is how I hope he is remembered as a captain by us all!

Smart Replay - 13:41m into the 2ndQ - Round 21 game 2014
http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-r...05&eventType=Goal&seek=2825&videoQuality=high
The handball from the center circle, on his knees, to Zorko and then on to McGrath to beat Geelong in 2013 was also classic Adcock. He's a 'players captain' - doesn't do the media stuff well or have the big personality of a Rockliff, but is admired by his peers and was a far more effective captain than he gets credit for. Having said that, I'm 100% on-board with the appointment of Rockliff!

Jed sounded genuinely disappointed.

Agreed, love Rocky as captain but really feel Jed stepped up when games were in the balance as a captain should. Everyone has already noted the tackle on Toovey (From what I can remember he also got him again later in the game) but the goal he kicked in the final quarter against Melbourne was the moment when you got to sit back and mutter "We've got this".

Agreed, love Rocky as captain but really feel Jed stepped up when games were in the balance as a captain should. Everyone has already noted the tackle on Toovey (From what I can remember he also got him again later in the game) but the goal he kicked in the final quarter against Melbourne was the moment when you got to sit back and mutter "We've got this".

Glad someone else mentioned this.

I would have been happy to see Jed lead the team for one more year solo. I also remember him being touted as a future captain early on in his career, unfortunately it took him a bit too long to escape Brown's shadow (who could blame him?).

As long as Rocky gets his aggression in order (I.e no more silly suspensions; leave that for mRobbo) I think he'll be a great leader over a lengthy stint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back