News 2015 Captain is Rocky!

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt very sorry for Jed watching that video as most will. My view had been that Rockliff should be made captain in 2016 but our trade period last year changed my mind. I'm glad the club has done it now I think its very appropriate timing.

Onya Rock. Clearly was only a matter of time. From my irrelevent perspective looking in from the outside, I wouldn't have thought another year under Jed would have hurt, but maybe he needs the challenge to really take the next step.

And thanks Jed. I think you served with absolute distinction, and you are still a bloody underrated player and leader, even by our own.

It was always going to happen and i suppose with the whole regeneration of club we're experiencing at the moment it couldn't have come at a better time.

There is a lot to like about this up and coming group of players and Rockliff is the right man to lead them

Absolutely. Rocky has the fire in his belly, and wears his heart on his sleeve in regards to his love of this club. Will be one of the great captains, IMO.

And whilst Jed is obviously dissappionted, he will be a sucesss in the senior statesman's role -which is something our young group needs.

I wouldn't have thought another year under Jed would have hurt, but maybe he needs the challenge to really take the next step.

With some of the high profile players we got on board over the trade period and with the group of younger players we have coming through I (now) feel as though this year was the time to make Rocky captain (I had previously thought 2016 would be better). Almost like a new look 2015 Lions and a fresh start in my view.

Congratulations Rocky! Fantastic decision and it has undoubtedly been in the works for a couple of years now. Rockliff is not only a gun player but he is a tough leader who time and time again stands up for the club in the media. You can just tell Rocky has so much passion for the Lions and he is definitely the man to lead this young side to another premiership.

As for my favourite player Mr. Adcock. Well done on your two years as Captain of the Lions. You did a great job and it is disappointing that your efforts both as a captain and a player are so underrated. You were a courageous leader and you deserve to go down as a Lion great when you retire with 200 games and the captaincy next to your name.

Go Lions!

wasn't too long ago some posters were calling for Adcocks head at selection nights. He done his job, done it well enough, and now he has a fight on his hands to keep his spot in the team. A workhorse he is but not as naturally talented as a Cutler, Beams, Rich etc. who all will demand selection off the HBF this season. Not an automatic selection and I think that would have swayed the voting from the coaches imo.

I think the timing is right and also in regards to the elevation of Hanley and Pearce. With those three and adding Rich into this mix I actually think it works in relation to our age demographic that we have at the club. The seeds have been laid for future years as they grow into their roles. As much as Adcock is disappointed, and as he should be, his leadership doesn't have to cease due to the not having the 'C' next to his name.

I think the timing is right and also in regards to the elevation of Hanley and Pearce. With those three and adding Rich into this mix I actually think it works in relation to our age demographic that we have at the club. The seeds have been laid for future years as they grow into their roles. As much as Adcock is disappointed, and as he should be, his leadership doesn't have to cease due to the not having the 'C' next to his name.

Are they related?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jed has been a good captain and the right choice at the time of his appointment. He has been (and remains) a wonderful ambassador for the Club. His disappointment is understandable and all Lions followers will empathise with that. Rocky is now ready and has the "grunt" that Vossy and Brown both had. He will bring a hard edge to the Club that we have lacked with so many young players introduced so quickly. We need a bit more mongrel in the team and Rocky can not only play good footy but he has a bit of white line fever as well. Really appreciate what Jed has done and hope he stays around given he is a free agent at the end of this year.

Jed sounded shattered. I was in favor of him leading us for another year and then becoming a co-captain with Rockliff. They'd bounce of each other really well in terms of leadership and I'm sure they still will in 2015. Just would have been nice for him to have that 'title' after he's been loyal to us.

Conversely, one could read into it that Rockliff didn't sound overly enthusiastic. You hear what you want to hear to a certain extent. I though Jed sounded fine with it.

Rocky was right in regards to the 4 leaders all compliment each other. We got grunt and hard working leader, ultimate professional in Rich, excitement machine in Zorko and the attack of pearce. I like the sound of that

Conversely, one could read into it that Rockliff didn't sound overly enthusiastic. You hear what you want to hear to a certain extent. I though Jed sounded fine with it.

Yeah, Jed is a pretty relaxed guy. I remember thinking he didn't seem very excited when he was appointed captain.

Think he just has a pretty narrow emotional spectrum.

Yeah, Jed is a pretty relaxed guy. I remember thinking he didn't seem very excited when he was appointed captain.
So he was miserable when he got the job and miserable when he lost it? Ungrateful bastard!

Felt Jed could lose his spot this year, so can see why they jumped now to transition to Rocky.

People can fall off the other side very quickly, and with Jed's injury history it could happen quicker than most. This removes potential distractions around whether or not we should drop our captain once the season kicks off.

Interestingly, according to:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...t-every-afl-club/story-e6frf3e3-1227218773811

BRISBANE

Having recently appointed Tom Rockliff (24) to the captaincy, Brisbane is another club with a leader who could rule for at least the next five years. That leaves 19-year-old James Aish firmly in the frame as the next skipper. He arrived at the club with two SANFL flags under his belt and was the vice-captain of South Australia’s Under 18 side in 2013. The polished midfielder played 21 games in his debut season and he could be the next Lion King if home sickness doesn't intervene. Daniel Rich is another obvious candidate.

Aish is earmarked as our captain heir after Rockliff, with Rich as an after thought...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back