2015 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

You are a flog. You never disagree with the coaches so you can always roll out that chestnut to prove that you are always right. When the coaches change their minds then so do you and start your denigration of the next player.

How about giving us your opinion for once or don't you have one? Given you never watch an SANFL game, rarely see the AFL team live and have clearly never played the sport then not having your own opinion is probably a good move.

23089799-Boom-in-pop-art-Stock-Vector-boom.jpg

That Anthony Wilson over Jono Beech decision panned out well, would have been interesting to see what Beech could've done in our setup, Wilson just seemed to end up using the AFC to pay some dental bills.
It turned out well for Beech. He felt hard done by at the time but would have been unlikely to be upgraded from the rookie list so would have played a meaningless year in our reserves, rather than won a flag with Westies.

At the time our list manager said he could be an option next time so will be interesting to see if he's still on the radar, if he even nominates for the draft.

That Anthony Wilson over Jono Beech decision panned out well, would have been interesting to see what Beech could've done in our setup, Wilson just seemed to end up using the AFC to pay some dental bills.
I don't think Beech was the only one we overlooked for Wilson. Heard that both Baulderstone and Panos were offered to be drafted as rookies and both said no because they didn't want to play against the Redlegs in the SANFL.

not to harp on about it but Andrew McLeod should probably not pop his head into the recruiting office at the club for a while, heard he almost single handedly sold them on Wilson

Serious question here, when you use selection as a definitive measure of a players ability, how do you view a bloke like CEY?

Not given a run under sando, played every game under Walsh and looked like an afl player, now back to delist material under campo. Had we appointed Walsh instead of sando do you think he might be on the way to 50 games and firmly into the 22?

And if so, do you think we may say the same about Grigg or Lyons if given half a chance?
There's no argument that CEY's fate seems linked to the coach in charge, to a much greater degree than many players. I don't think he was ready for senior football prior to 2015, based on what I saw of him in last year's pre-season games. I think CEY could be a half-decent player, if he continues to work on his kicking (which improved dramatically this year). That said, I still think he would be existing on the fringes as he is now.

It's worth noting that Walsh's passing wasn't the only factor which affected his selection. Also relevant is the number of players we got back from injury in the second half of the year, and the form of Knight and Atkins who both demanded senior selection.

Grigg and Lyons have both had far more opportunities than CEY, over a longer period of time. There is much less certainty about their (lack of) future in my eyes than there is with CEY. I think CEY has more upside than both, though I do agree that Lyons is the better player for now at least.

I don't think Beech was the only one we overlooked for Wilson. Heard that both Baulderstone and Panos were offered to be drafted as rookies and both said no because they didn't want to play against the Redlegs in the SANFL.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I remember Phil Walsh saying on 5AA that the last rookie spot was between Wilson and Beech, and they went with Wilson because they felt like they needed more speed on the list. Walsh really sounded like a fan of Beech at the time. Did anyone else hear this, or am I dreaming (again)? Beech may be a rookie chance again this year. I'd have him in my side ahead of the likes of VB and Mackay any day of the week. Beech is 24, the same age as when Lee Spurr got drafted. I can see him having the same sort of impact.

It turned out well for Beech. He felt hard done by at the time but would have been unlikely to be upgraded from the rookie list so would have played a meaningless year in our reserves, rather than won a flag with Westies.

At the time our list manager said he could be an option next time so will be interesting to see if he's still on the radar, if he even nominates for the draft.

Sometimes you can't see the beech for the ocean.

Grigg and Lyons have both had far more opportunities than CEY, over a longer period of time. There is much less certainty about their (lack of) future in my eyes than there is with CEY. I think CEY has more upside than both, though I do agree that Lyons is the better player for now at least.
Has Grigg ever had a run of games together like CEY has?

Has Grigg ever had a run of games together like CEY has?
He's had several blocks of consecutive games. Not sure how many of them were wearing the green bib.
5 games from R22 2013 - R3 2014
4 games from R18-21 2014
5 games from R6-10 2015

CEY's longest consecutive block is 6 games:
R8-15 2015 (R11 = bye, R14 = game cancelled)

CEY also played 5 games from R1-5 2015.

And without the Green Bib
He's had several blocks of consecutive games. Not sure how many of them were wearing the green bib.
4 games from R18-21 2014
5 games from R6-10 2015

R6: Whole game (Crouch for Sloane)
R7: Whole game (Lyons for Smith)
R8: Whole game (Lyons for Kerridge)
R9: Whole game (Lyons for Martin)
R10: Whole game (Crouch for CEY)

The 4 consecutive games in 2014 were all starting as the sub

The coaches disagree with you, but feel free to continue to think you know everything...

What was it, something like 26th in the BnF?

I'd say the coaches agreed he was s**t this season, but backed him in as there were a lack of options on that HBF line.

Atkins won't be an A-grade player. That's not to say he won't make it at AFL level. I do agree that he ran out of puff at the end. I agree his first 6 games were good.

I'd say Atkins has the scope to be an A-grader, but it'll be dependent on the team around him. I.e. he's icing, not the cake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 games from R18-21 2014
5 games from R6-10 2015

CEY's longest consecutive block is 6 games:
R8-15 2015 (R11 = bye, R14 = game cancelled)

CEY also played 5 games from R1-5 2015.
Of course youd know:rolleyes:

What is hell is with Wilson's delisting?

Ogilvie clearly said he'd taken Wilson a year ahead of time so what exactly did they expect from him? What a stupid waste.

What is hell is with Wilson's delisting?

Ogilvie clearly said he'd taken Wilson a year ahead of time so what exactly did they expect from him? What a stupid waste.

More than he gave, obviously. Maybe Wilson decided after a year he wasn't willing to put the yards in, like valued KFC customer Tim Milera

Why didnt we delist wright? Hopefully someone wants him.

I'd be surprised if Wright's value will do any more than upgrade our 2nd rounder by a few spots or our 3rd to a 2nd. I think it depends on what some of the other 'fringe' guys and M Crouch does. We don't know how many of them are staying or going, so Wright may yet be needed as depth.

I'd be surprised if Wright's value will do any more than upgrade our 2nd rounder by a few spots or our 3rd to a 2nd. I think it depends on what some of the other 'fringe' guys and M Crouch does. We don't know how many of them are staying or going, so Wright may yet be needed as depth.
Just a feeling but I reckon he might have seen the writing on the wall. VB and Mookay got recalled but Matt didn't, even though his form was better than both.

There's no argument that CEY's fate seems linked to the coach in charge, to a much greater degree than many players. I don't think he was ready for senior football prior to 2015, based on what I saw of him in last year's pre-season games. I think CEY could be a half-decent player, if he continues to work on his kicking (which improved dramatically this year). That said, I still think he would be existing on the fringes as he is now.

It's worth noting that Walsh's passing wasn't the only factor which affected his selection. Also relevant is the number of players we got back from injury in the second half of the year, and the form of Knight and Atkins who both demanded senior selection.

Good post Vader.
CEY is also aboriginal with good height....and tank.
He adds a different dimension with his clearing stoppage handballs.

There is nothing wrong with his short passingo_O. We all remember his 3 passes to Tex when he first came back in.
We cant afford to let CEY go; he's creative, & seems to have time and space not unlike Pendlebury.

Good post Vader.
CEY is also aboriginal with good height....and tank.
He adds a different dimension with his clearing stoppage handballs.

There is nothing wrong with his short passingo_O. We all remember his 3 passes to Tex when he first came back in.
We cant afford to let CEY go; he's creative, & seems to have time and space not unlike Pendlebury.

Just a feeling but I reckon he might have seen the writing on the wall. VB and Mookay got recalled but Matt didn't, even though his form was better than both.

He's got nothing elite. VB has his tank and Dmac his pace and kicking. And for absolute certain, Wrighty is a damned sight more useful than both of those guys. Especially taking into account Dmac is plain s**t and VB's half back flank could be equally well played by any of Shaw, Lever, Otten, CEY, Grigg, Martin, Kelly and there's probably some I've missed. Not saying they'd bring the same attributes, but come the end of the game, all those guys will have given us a better performance and a better chance (to varying degrees) of winning the game.

Fair post ..only thing disagree with is lyons may be more versatile ( mid/ forward) and better option as sub but CEY has him on toast as a long term AFL prospect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back