2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

After taking a few days to think about our draft I think what I like the most is that we didn't try to be too clever. We took the players we knew and when there was an obvious slider we took were flexible enough to take advantage rather than having blinkers on.

I think the fact we have invested so heavily in KPPs over the last few years makes the Skinner pick easier to make as we have plenty of other highly speculative picks to work out while he rehabs. Really happy with our draft team right now.
yes agree. on that, s.conole on the draft wrap was saying they thought very hard about matching the bid for the academy boy that went to north (seniors moment can't remember his name), they asked for an extension of 2 minutes think time. i think they made the right decision, matheison going to be great for us, most pundits saying he was the steal of the draft.

Holy * Balls!
Just watched footage of Reuben William for the first time and the kid is a machine!
Sure its a highlights package and you only see the good but my word is there a canvas to work with.
Makes me question the deficiencies in his game if he wasnt bid on by another club when you see how explosive and damaging he can be.
He may only be a teenager but he looks to me to be the small defender we have been crying out for since Chris Johnson hung up the boots..
If his natural development in a professional environment continues as it should, he will become a very handy player.
will quickly become one of my favorites, good luck Reuben!

yes agree. on that, s.conole on the draft wrap was saying they thought very hard about matching the bid for the academy boy that went to north (seniors moment can't remember his name), they asked for an extension of 2 minutes think time. i think they made the right decision, matheison going to be great for us, most pundits saying he was the steal of the draft.

You're thinking of Corey Wagner who went at 43 to the Kanags, Matheison went prior to that pick a 38, we passed on Wagner to keep pick 47 who turned out to be Skinner.

This was the most interesting part of then draft for us, and something that hasn't been talked about that much. I think we may have had an eye on Aidyn Johnson here, potentially that line breaking, really quick type that we are lacking, he was a highly rated junior who's had injuries in his draft year that we seem to like too. I know Cotter was talking about him prior to the draft, and Had some impressive things to say.

You're thinking of Corey Wagner who went at 43 to the Kanags, Matheison went prior to that pick a 38, we passed on Wagner to keep pick 47 who turned out to be Skinner.

This was the most interesting part of then draft for us, and something that hasn't been talked about that much. I think we may have had an eye on Aidyn Johnson here, potentially that line breaking, really quick type that we are lacking, he was a highly rated junior who's had injuries in his draft year that we seem to like too. I know Cotter was talking about him prior to the draft, and Had some impressive things to say.
really liked Johnson as well. Conole even said there was a highly rated outside player at around our pick, which I think he was talking about Johnson that he wouldhave taken. Wouldn't have been Skinner as he isn't as outside player.

Holy **** Balls!
Just watched footage of Reuben William for the first time and the kid is a machine!
Sure its a highlights package and you only see the good but my word is there a canvas to work with.
Makes me question the deficiencies in his game if he wasnt bid on by another club when you see how explosive and damaging he can be.
He may only be a teenager but he looks to me to be the small defender we have been crying out for since Chris Johnson hung up the boots..
If his natural development in a professional environment continues as it should, he will become a very handy player.
will quickly become one of my favorites, good luck Reuben!
Absolutely.... he seems clean with ball on the ground, but his decision making (in the highlights package I'll admit) looked really really sharp which is what I particularly liked. The only thing I worry about is that I hope he realises the fending may not work so well at AFL level, but hopefully I'm wrong and he has a D.Martin like fend.

will all the draftees be at training tomorrow? might pop down, haven't been to a training session since 2004.

Pretty sure they were all due in today, so the club has probably pick tomorrows session as a bit of a thing because they knew blokes will be there.

Pretty sure they were all due in today, so the club has probably pick tomorrows session as a bit of a thing because they knew blokes will be there.
Lions tweeted a pic of Schache, Skinner and Mathieson at the airport earlier so you would suspect they will all be there given Keays, Hipwood and William are locals

Lions tweeted a pic of Schache, Skinner and Mathieson at the airport earlier so you would suspect they will all be there given Keays, Hipwood and William are locals

Drafting local paying dividends already that's like a grand in flights saved there....you sure they didn't take the greyhound??

Drafting local paying dividends already that's like a grand in flights saved there....you sure they didn't take the greyhound??

Would be pretty alpha if our club made our new victorian recruits pay for their own flights up here.

Assuming it's been mentioned somewhere already, but geez Mathieson overhead is quite impressive. Didn't know he had that side to his game...

Brisbane pulled in some great talent this draft, I look forward to seeing your team on the up.
Hipwood a good pick up from the Academy and Keays is a bargain in the second round, rank him at about 6 in the draft. Schache helps you up forward and Mathieson is an absolute bargain, honestly I would have been pleased if we got him at pick 18 (although I'm equally happy with Gresham). Skinner a solid pick up, still yet to see what he's capable of due to his injury but had some good wraps on him early.

The talent you guys managed to pull in is fantastic :thumbsu: Probably the best haul of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure having the two young fellas living with the CEO is a great idea....might be ok for a while, but hopefully then they can go out on their own.

Would be very intimidating (not sure thats the right word) living with the big boss....yes sir, no sir type stuff for them.......not able to be themselves, but do understand wanting to be in a family enviroment etc.

Not sure having the two young fellas living with the CEO is a great idea....might be ok for a while, but hopefully then they can go out on their own.

Would be very intimidating (not sure thats the right word) living with the big boss....yes sir, no sir type stuff for them.......not able to be themselves, but do understand wanting to be in a family enviroment etc.
agree. this would only be a stop gap measure while they look around brisbane (probably with a player or 2 who have been here for a few years) see what area they like the look of. end up living in a share arrangement with a couple of the recruits/single guys around bulimba, hawthorne, new farm, southbank? new recruits wage, might have to settle for less up market areas first 2 years:)

It is always harder for people in marginalised communities to make it. I wasn't calling the AFL or the Lions racist.

Anyway- moving forward, the discussion on an AFL high school competition is very interesting. I still believe that if Ambrose Treacy school really embraced AFL (they are nearly there)they would approach the AFL and GPS school body about becoming a guest participant in the Melbourne school boys comp. These schools do not lack cash and with AFL subsidies it would make it possible. This would also help Ambrose Treacy to become a destination school for our best AFL talent in the northern states.

It is always harder for people in marginalised communities to make it. I wasn't calling the AFL or the Lions racist.

Anyway- moving forward, the discussion on an AFL high school competition is very interesting. I still believe that if Ambrose Treacy school really embraced AFL (they are nearly there)they would approach the AFL and GPS school body about becoming a guest participant in the Melbourne school boys comp. These schools do not lack cash and with AFL subsidies it would make it possible. This would also help Ambrose Treacy to become a destination school for our best AFL talent in the northern states.
ambrose treacy?

The school competition isn't nearly strong enough for the AFL to be interested or the GPS schools to actually make it a proper comp.

That is a pretty big leap from where they are at now. Need to have a grade 12 class first.

Wondered what happened at that site - drove past it the other day and noticed it was still up and running.

I thought it was changing to a full St Joseph's campus of P-12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back