List Mgmt. 2015 Draft , PSD & Rookie Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Also worth remembering that neither Steele or Himmelberg had great years when they were 18 but as over age players for the rams they really stepped up and made there way onto our list as 19 year olds.

Steele was injured during his normal draft year (2013), wasn't he, and then had a great 2014 as an overager to get drafted. Himmelberg, as you say - obviously the move to Canberra and greater continuity/standard of competition helped. That underpins my thought though, getting the young guys into a NEAFL competition as a rookie would give the club the chance to have a closer look at them at that higher level (obviously not as high as VFL, SANFL or WAFL). Rookies can be easily cut in future if they deem them not up to speed. Obviously, I don't understand all of the factors that GWS know when making their decision, it just appears to me to be a possible lost opportunity to promote local talent.

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Steele was injured during his normal draft year (2013), wasn't he, and then had a great 2014 as an overager to get drafted. Himmelberg, as you say - obviously the move to Canberra and greater continuity/standard of competition helped. That underpins my thought though, getting the young guys into a NEAFL competition as a rookie would give the club the chance to have a closer look at them at that higher level (obviously not as high as VFL, SANFL or WAFL). Rookies can be easily cut in future if they deem them not up to speed. Obviously, I don't understand all of the factors that GWS know when making their decision, it just appears to me to be a possible lost opportunity to promote local talent.

I agree. I'd be happy to see all nominated academy boys rookies. As Giants Strides says - if they don't show enough then it's a thanks for giving it your best shot and generating more interest in our zones.

miksmif

Senior List
Sep 12, 2011
The Entrance
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Necastle Utd, Chicago Bulls, KVAFC
Wow 9 goals in any league is a damn good haul

He still says to this day he kicked 10 in the game, he also took a absolute screamer of a mark in that game

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, first off, congratulations and welcome to Daniel Lloyd, welcome back to Sam Reid. Work hard and hope you go well for GWS.

Also, well done to Jock Cornell - I think he's a good pickup for GFC - and to Nick Coughlan - a handy option for St Kilda. All the best for Tim Golds' future at Collingwood, hope that you can make the breakthrough there that you couldn't at GWS.

Commiserations to Lachlan Tiziani and Jack Irvine, hope that you stay with footy and you never know about next year.

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS
Well I'm missing it, what exactly does Sam Reid bring to the equation? Is there some kind of salary cap loophole going on here?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
He was good in the Neafl. Maybe he needs help paying for a property

I think it's about the "what if something bad happens"

One of the reasons for our major improvement last year was the number of older heads running the show. If we want to keep that going we need to have the ready replacements for them.

Now while I doubt that Sam will be seeing much seniors footy, with him being a coach and NEAFL captain he may provide support in case of injury to Ward/Griffen that our fringe 22 don't have yet. It's the older head, older body stuff. Hopper and Kennedy may be AFL ready but I doubt that they are AFL pressure race for finals ready. Just like I doubt Simpson will get much top tier time, we got him as cover for Mummy.

Either that or it's balancing the needs of the coaching dept.

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS

So if he is still on the coaching panel as well as playing its probably a similar set-up that the Pies ran with Ben Hudson. Not sure how that all worked but possibly some of his wages goes under footy dept spending rather than the total player payments. Total guess but seems an odd selection considering he would of played NEAFL anyway.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Good in the NEAFL doesn't mean much really. Let's face it, it is only the NEAFL.

Really can't see the point of it to be honest. I mean, good luck to him and all, but still.....

The one I'm gutted for is Tiziani - I thought he showed some real promise in the handful of NEAFL games I saw him in - certainly enough to be rookie listed at least.

No reason why he can't play more NEAFL next year as a top-up though. Hope he does and I hope he keeps improving.

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Is Irvine and Tiziani eligible to come back to the Rams as 19 year olds ala Steele and Himmelberg?

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
I actually don't mind this move with Reid. Reasonably flexible in what positions he can play, and would be great back up if required. It also sends a big message about how the club rewards loyalty and persistence. Maybe loyalty in footy is not completely dead. I wish him the best of luck in getting some games.

Back