List Mgmt. 2015 Draft , PSD & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Great night. Going forward we are stacked but mainly in the midfield. Could do with some defensive depth. Trades next year I'll bet. Too many mids.
Good night team.

probably will rookie list the other acadeny kids on thursday if they are not picked up tonight

Great night. Going forward we are stacked but mainly in the midfield. Could do with some defensive depth. Trades next year I'll bet. Too many mids.
Good night team.
It allows us to trade out a highly regarded player in the next couple of years for another top draft choice whilst sitting top 4.

I presume that a couple of GWS picks that were used and got sent to the end are still there to use if any other club bids on the remaining kids, although quite possibly would let them go to the other club. Hope we put at least two of the remaining kids onto the rookie list - that would keep our total list number at 44; but would be happy to take all three of Coughlan, Tiziani and Cornell.

Haven't actually paid attention to the academy rules around rookies - do we now get priority to add the guys who aren't drafted tonight to the rookie list? Or do we have to do so via the rookie draft?

My understanding is yes, based on this extract from the AFL website:

ACADEMY PLAYERS – ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Like father-son players, under the previous AFL rules, Academy players were subject to a bidding system before the National Draft if they were nominated by an eligible club but could not be pre-selected by that club before the Rookie Draft.

Clubs with Academy programs – the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants – should have the chance to pre-select local talent from the pool of players in their Academy between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts if those players nominated for but were not selected at the most recent National or Pre-Season Drafts.

The amendment is designed to create incentives for Academy clubs to develop talent by providing opportunities for them to rookie list players for further development.

Only draft-eligible club Academy players who were nominated by their club at the designated time and played in the National Championships are eligible to be pre-selected as a Category B rookie.

Well we got what we wanted as far as the senior list is concerned, and no other academy boys were picked up so we may finally see some of these rookie ist spots filled!

All over and our boys are still available.

Incredibly happy with our draft haul. It's probably our second best after the inaugural draft at this early stage I think!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hopper and Kennedy cost us less than we thought they might, and Himmleberg more than we thought he would. Flynn about where he was expected.

I would have liked us to use 60 on another academy kid (Tiziani or Coughlan) and the rookie list the other two (Cornell)

I really really hope we rookie list all three - they deserve it.

Good night getting what we wanted.

Good night for the academy.

#growingthegame

Listening to SEN and the guys said it appears Essendon haven't done a lot of work on academy players and they think it will be unlikely they will bid on any. I think most talk was potentially the Dons putting bids on Hopper or Kennedy but if they don't we are more than safe with points for the two fellas.
Went to a Lions draft function which included a comp to name the first 15 picks. If I'd seen this I would've won instead of coming second, but I also would've nailed the AFL comp for the top 10!

It was a successful night in the sense that nothing went wrong and we got what we went there expecting to get.

Almost transactional really. Kind of like going to hospital to have a baby when you already know the gender and have already named it.

I really hope we are active with rookies this year though. Even if we don't see them as future best 22 players and only keep them for 2-3 years, it can only help our future prospects by filtering guys with afl system experience back into our local leagues.

Harrison Macreadie195cm/82kgDOB: 11/4/98Henty/NSW-ACTTall defender

Macreadie looks to be one of the best tall prospects in next year's group. He has the size to hold down centre-half back and the athleticism to play on the wing. Macreadie uses the ball cleanly, can take marks overhead and isn't afraid to tuck the ball under his arm and go for it. He is a member of the Greater Western Sydney academy zone. Get ready for the debate to rage again about the Giants' access to the Riverina region.

Given how much hopper and Kennedy rose up the ranks it's possible that macreadie can work his way into number 1 contention. 3000 points would be needed for a number 1 bid and we currently have 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders. Gubby has already set us up for him and more! If Tomlinson does leave us then we can expect a first for him as well and maybe set up for 2017 at the same time.

Gubby is a savant!

So we received Pies first round pick for Treloar in next years draft.

We also got Carltons first round pick for trading out Lamb, Plowman etc.

Really though its Geelongs Ist round pick as Carlton received it for trading Henderson.This is correct yeah?

So just say Carlton finished last we wont be getting there number one pick.We receive Geelongs pick.Can someone verify this.Havent seen it in concrete anywhere..

Easier if we know the lower the Pies and Cats finish the better it is for us.Prefer it was Carlton though:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back