English Super League 2015 English Super league discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I may watch some. The SD broadcast on Eurosport was annoying (ironically it is now a HD channel).

Really poor from Wigan in that second half, in a game we should have won easily with a man advantage. Discipline was very poor and looks to be an issue. It's not like Matty Smith to be kicking out at people like that.

Do you guys in Australian pay any attention to the Super League?

I'm a St Helens fan, relatively new to the game but I really enjoy watching the Saints. We were demolished in the World Club Challenged though, as were the other English teams, so I hope to start watching the NRL too. Picked the Panthers

My understanding was that there had been some improvement to TV coverage of Superleague this season in Australia, but if that is the case, it certainly hasn't generated a lot of interest hereabouts. Have to say I can't claim it's been an impressive season so far, really only Leeds have looked half-decent, and Saints, Wigan and Warrington have been patchy at best. And in fact, it's not so different in the NRL this year, the usually reliable top guns have all misfired badly at times. Lets hope things improve all round (which they certainly ought to in England as summer comes and the pitches improve).

I wouldn't have an issue either, but if we're serious about stamping it out of the game, like so much foul play, the answer is for refs to be prepared to show red.

I find it strange that FS1 bothered to get the Super League rights, but don't tend to promote them at all. I rarely watch the NRL chat shows, so maybe it's promoted there - but I'll typically watch a Raiders game, replays of a couple of channel 9 games, and Monday nights, and I seriously can't remember seeing a single ad for it or hearing a single commentator promote it.

Not that I care. I tended to only watch on Eurosport when I was stoned and wanted a laugh, because you get some ridiculous errors in the ESL (you also get guys playing the ball sideways, which is interesting to watch).

And the Super League confuses me. I don't understand how this competition is even viable, much less thriving. Is this just entirely off Murdoch's money? I mean, rugby league is really only followed in a couple of pockets of England.

The other thing that confuses me about Super League is there on-again, off-again relationship with their second division teams.

For those that follow closely, how did you come to support your team? How did you develop an affinity with them? I'm quite discerning with my supportership of teams, I wait for teams to pick me (I'd watched rugby league for 15 years before I moved Canberra and was 'chosen' by the Raiders). I find these comparatively tiny clubs tough to relate to or identify with.

Reliant on Murdoch/TV money? Isn't all sport, including the NRL and the English football Premiership? League is under-publicised but quite well supported; Wigan and the other top clubs get bigger crowds than most of the top union sides. I don't live in the one of the 'pockets' you refer to (indeed, it's a union stronghold around these parts) but so what?

And frankly, Wigan, Saints, and Leeds are certainly not 'tiny' clubs by any stretch of the imagination. And certainly not compared to the Canberra Raiders; when did they last win anything? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reliant on Murdoch/TV money? Isn't all sport, including the NRL and the English football Premiership? League is under-publicised but quite well supported; Wigan and the other top clubs get bigger crowds than most of the top union sides. I don't live in the one of the 'pockets' you refer to (indeed, it's a union stronghold around these parts) but so what?

And frankly, Wigan, Saints, and Leeds are certainly not 'tiny' clubs by any stretch of the imagination. And certainly not compared to the Canberra Raiders; when did they last win anything? :p

The size of a club isn't measured by their success ;)

The size of a club isn't measured by their success ;)

You'd better hang onto that thought! :)
Actually, it's good to see the Raiders going a bit better this season now they've got a couple of Superleague vets on their books... :p

Actually it's looking like this Hohaia retirement story is a bigger one than first thought... this could turn ugly.

Actually it's looking like this Hohaia retirement story is a bigger one than first thought... this could turn ugly.

I'll ignore the first part of your post, because I don't understand why you're picking a fight.

On Hohaia? I don't know what's going to come of that. What an awful way for your career to end though.

Not picking a fight at all, nobby; just a bit of friendly banter.

Klim> won't be happening now, by the sound of it.

Anyone watching the Magic Weekend matches? There's been some cracking games this weekend. Not least a very satisfying (and convincing) win for Wigan over league leaders Leeds. :D

Saints v Warrington just coming up now, should be a cracker.

The defence in Super League is paper thin but makes for plenty of scores. Our second rate Aussies run the show which doesn't say much for the comp. In saying this, I do enjoy the early morning live games. The crowds are horrid at some games, or lack there of I mean.

Leeds to win the comp and Ryan Hall to run in 2/3 try's for man of the match.

Dunno about crowds, the big sides get 15-20k, and they were congratulating the Cowboys on a good gate the other day of about 14k, IIRC.

If Thurston played for Wigan, he'd be playing to capacity crowds every week.

As for "second-rate Aussies running the show", you must be thinking of Hull KR, hardly a top side. The top teams are all 'run' by English players, except for Burns and Walsh at Saints, but injuries have meant they've hardly played together this season, and they were tanked by Leeds in the CC semi anyway.

Leeds fans say Hall is the World's Best Winger. He's a good player, but for me, he's not even the best winger in SL. Aussie fans seem to like him, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back