Review 2015 Final List Changes

How do you rate the off season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My only real concern is our Backline.Lose Rance (touchwood) he's our most important player and we will struggle down back.

This is why it's important that Astbury plays from Round 1.

If we can get Astbury back into his early-2014 form, when he was basically leading our B&F, and combine that with Rance in his peak, our depth in the backline will be much better.

Rance has become a superstar, so losing him to injury would be a disaster that we simply can't cover for. But the best way we can minimize the damage, is to get Astbury in the side playing good footy in the backline as a 2nd tall defender, so that if Rance does go down for whatever reason, Astbury could take up Rance's place, and Chaplin can then take Astbury's.

I think this year and last have been very exciting drafts. I'm really pleased overall. The work remains ahead of the Draft picks & our development program/Coaches. There is a heap of talent, but the hard yards need to happen if our boys are to realise their potential.....:):thumbsu:

Out:
Newman
Dea
Knights
Petterd
Foley
Gordon
McDonough
Thomas (R)
Arnot (R)

Rookie Upgrade:
Kane Lambert

In:
Chris Yarran - Link
Jacob Townsend - Link
Andrew Moore - Link
Daniel Rioli - Link
Oleg Markov - Link
Nathan Broad - Link
Callum Moore (R) - Link
Mabior Chol (R) - Link
Adam Marcon (R) - Link

Considering we got nothing from Foley Knights and Petterd in 2015 the list looks a lot better imo. Can't argue with any of those cuts they weren't going to help us take the next step.

It's a big turn around in recruiting philosophy from pre 2014 if you look at this years and last years crop. Lots of what I would consider high risk/high return selections (Ellis aside) with a real emphasis on speed and athleticism. Fingers crossed now that they can play.

I like it, its bold and has the potential to add the speed and excitement to our list.

If we can get Astbury back into his early-2014 form, when he was basically leading our B&F, and combine that with Rance in his peak, our depth in the backline will be much better.

Rance has become a superstar, so losing him to injury would be a disaster that we simply can't cover for. But the best way we can minimize the damage, is to get Astbury in the side playing good footy in the backline as a 2nd tall defender, so that if Rance does go down for whatever reason, Astbury could take up Rance's place, and Chaplin can then take Astbury's.

I wish, I hope he can get back to that form - I thought FFS "finally". He just has to go for it, nothing to lose - if Grimesy can come back from his injuries DA should be encouraged by that

Make or break year for him I reckon

Considering we got nothing from Foley Knights and Petterd in 2015 the list looks a lot better imo. Can't argue with any of those cuts they weren't going to help us take the next step.

It's a big turn around in recruiting philosophy from pre 2014 if you look at this years and last years crop. Lots of what I would consider high risk/high return selections (Ellis aside) with a real emphasis on speed and athleticism. Fingers crossed now that they can play.

I like it, its bold and has the potential to add the speed and excitement to our list.

Its a big turnover isnt it? Does anyone know the average and total games experience we lost? I mean that and the average age must have dropped a a bit too, kind of feels like a mini-regeneration of the list

I agree,However the club was willing to let Astbury go during Trade week and while without knowing why Brisbane knocked Astbury back you can assume it was for medical reasons.Hope Dave can standup next year,He's overdue for a change of luck.

Its a big turnover isnt it? Does anyone know the average and total games experience we lost? I mean that and the average age must have dropped a a bit too, kind of feels like a mini-regeneration of the list

It is but when you look at the departures none played any really important role in 2015.
Hopefully our 3-6 year players can improve us further in 2016. To early for the 2014/15 guys to have much of an impact.

Not lost anything, as indicated by the zero interest shown by other clubs for the players that were cut. With another midfield gun in the trade period and some more advanced draftees, I would have scored the list changes a 9 or a 10.

Chris Yarran -
Jacob Townsend -
Andrew Moore -
Daniel Rioli -
Oleg Markov -
Nathan Broad -

So who breaks into the side and who makes way I wonder...
Obviously Yarran comes straight in, and I'm hoping for Townsend. Its gonna be hard for players on the fringe - Lloyd Lambert Astbury Morris Menadue etc etc. We can't play them all, but at least there's some harder bodied depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Yarran -
Jacob Townsend -
Andrew Moore -
Daniel Rioli -
Oleg Markov -
Nathan Broad -

Obviously Yarran comes straight in, and I'm hoping for Townsend. Its gonna be hard for players on the fringe - Lloyd Lambert Astbury Morris Menadue etc etc. We can't play them all, but at least there's some harder bodied depth
Can still upgrade a rookie as well.

What some opposition supporters don't understand is that we don't need a huge recruit to become Premiership contenders unlike Collingwood and Geelong.

What we have recruited over the off season + progression from our youngsters is fine for next year as we pretty much recruited according to our needs such as:

1. Players with speed
2. Someone to help the likes of Cotchin out
3. Small forwards.

Yeah our midfield could do with more elite players, but as long as our current star players are helped out, they can then become the elite players that we were missing in the midfield. Townsend and Moore for instance would address that need, as would Yarran as he would allow Vlastuin to move into the midfield as some have already mentioned. Recruiting an elite player like Treloar would be good if we wanted to be a team that goes 20-2 in one season, but that isn't necessarily required to become a premiership contender (or even a Premiership winner).

So, the list looks good right about now. I hope I am not being a delusional arrogant supporter by saying this, but we could make a Grand Final as soon as next year (although I don't expect to win a Premiership).

Chris Yarran -
Jacob Townsend -
Andrew Moore -
Daniel Rioli -
Oleg Markov -
Nathan Broad -

would have to think a fit C.Ellis makes the cut, competition for spots is going to be red hot next year

I agree,However the club was willing to let Astbury go during Trade week and while without knowing why Brisbane knocked Astbury back you can assume it was for medical reasons.Hope Dave can standup next year,He's overdue for a change of luck.
It all depends if he has lost any leg speed due to injuries (he has dislocated his left and right patella).

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2016 - click on "Richmond" to see each Players info on our list
We are younger than both Port Adelaide and Collingwood at 11th, and have less game experience on average than Port and only 1 game average more experience than Collingwood and are ranked 8th in the competition. How is it that some think we have "peaked" and are going down, yet Port Adelaide and Collingwood are still yet to hit their prime? :confused:

My only real concern is our Backline.Lose Rance (touchwood) he's our most important player and we will struggle down back.
Astbury was flying the flag when Rance was injured 2014 and then did his knee, I would hope he would step up again.

We are younger than both Port Adelaide and Collingwood at 11th, and have less game experience on average than Port and only 1 game average more experience than Collingwood and are ranked 8th in the competition. How is it that some think we have "peaked" and are going down, yet Port Adelaide and Collingwood are still yet to hit their prime? :confused:
media love to suck up to Eddie, he probably employs half of them in one way or another....

I think we did okay.

Initially I was furious because we went big early on a small forward but that was tempered by getting Broad, C Moore in particular as it addresses a massive weakness in our defence or at least is an attempt to addressing it as well as getting the Sudanese Ruckman who has a lot of potential in an area we are suspect and Markov was not a bad option I think either as it gives us more dimensions and allows us to modify how we play and setup to create matchup issues for opposition teams.

I am happy enough with our recruits.

I still think we traded terribly to get Yarran though. Not Yarran's fault but some trading for picks we were played a little IMO and Carlton really pushed us for far too much and we should not have yielded like we did in the way we did. We should have got more than pick 19 for those 2 second rounders or utilised GWS and Swans demands for later picks to get better pick return outcomes or even lose 12 and pick up 14 in some kind of 3 or 4 way club trade

I am mainly happy that our list has a lot more players in the 188cm to 193cm range, with speed, size and endurance so I think we are a far stronger unit now and competition for spots should increase dramatically because there is a lot my diversity in how some of the new guys can play in different positions placing pressure on a lot more players to perform week in week out to keep there spot. It means we have far more depth and flexibility in how we can shape our team and gives us far more wriggle room to cover any drops in form from some players that might come about. Our team is far more balanced and robust now IMO in terms of capability individually and as a collective and we now have a far stronger foundation to target better recruits to improve our list going forward so we can get the best available to give us the most effective impact

I also think list management wise it was not a bad outcome as we can still target FA recruits later and others to bolster our list and improve any smaller gaps even more and the new guys we have got have not compromised that really so that was smart IMO. This is particularly so when a number of the new guys arguably can play a number of roles whether it be swingman or 2nd to 4th tier in terms of structural setup or even the ability to play in the middle. Even Rioli could play small forward deep or half forward flank or pinch hit in the midfield with his endurance and tackling so the all round aspect of many of our new recruits was very astute IMO and vital to strength the capability and opportunity for our list to perform at the highest level on the big stages!

Last edited:
Back