Preview 2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Same s**t, different year. A reasonable competitive chance but terrible from a corporate pov.

I'd argue that it isn't even that reasonable from a competitive pov either to be honest.

Well have a terrible set of home attendances again this year, and get lambasted by all the trolls for another solid equalisation payment.

I understand the need to corporate dollars and relevance (particularly in the face of soccers growth), but this policy of a manipulated, uneven fixture is the biggest blight on our competition by a million miles. It's just fundamentally flawed beyond belief.

I'm getting really frustrated with the constant away games to both Richmond and Essendon year after year, they are usually good contests and supporters often show up, then why do we always get nothing out of it! Also as a person who lives in rural Victoria it's hard to get to games, so channel seven only televising 7 out of 23 can go and get stuffed, Not everyone has pay TV!

We already get low crowds, but given half our gate takings go to the MCC, the AFL obviously aren't too keen to waste decent fixtures on us.

The only way we're going to get a decent draw is when we are one of the top sides.

Fair to say we have been shafted on the home games front (despite what I said earlier). What makes it even worse is the entitled pricks from the big clubs who whinge about 'wasting' a home game playing MFC. "Oh but we could be playing a home game against Collingwood/Hawthorn! This is the worst thing ever! Just give the home game to Melbourne, they need the charity." Shut up you bastards.

So long to wait before another year of rolling up to the G one minute before the bounce and getting a perfect seat, no lines at half time and ample time to reflect on the majestic flocking of seagulls as the sun winds down, invading the stadium that the game we created built, as our players walk off the ground hanging their heads in shame. Ah saturdays...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say we have been shafted on the home games front (despite what I said earlier). What makes it even worse is the entitled pricks from the big clubs who whinge about 'wasting' a home game playing MFC. "Oh but we could be playing a home game against Collingwood/Hawthorn! This is the worst thing ever! Just give the home game to Melbourne, they need the charity." Shut up you bastards.

Also the comments about the AFL 'funding' the MFC with equalisation payments.

Quite annoying - give the competition an even draw and lets see where the equalisation payments end up.

Well seeing how this fixtures crap i'm going to run through most of the highlights and low lights i can think of

(sort of positives)
- Decent start to the year, the possibility of a 4 in a row start, however in reality we'd be lucky to salvage two from that
- We're on friday nights again, probably by chance that anzac day eve is on a friday. and while i'm disappointed it's an away games on a big night, it's still great for the club and it's marketing to get at least one friday night game, spare a thought for our friends in the western suburbs who performed better than us last year but do not have a friday game
- We only have on sunday twilight game
- Playing St Kilda, the bulldogs and the giants twice
- Plenty of games in Victoria

(Negatives)
- only one saturday night match in melbourne on the TV
- Playing Freo and Collingwood twice (got the feeling collingwood will be back next year, after a good trade period, but who knows.)
- Difficult run home (not that it will matter)
- Traveling twice in two weeks
- No decent crowd drawing games except for Collingwood on the Queens birthday. Playing away games to powerful clubs such as Essendon and Richmond, even Carlton get a home game against us!
- Lack of free to air coverage with only seven games being televised on seven and ANZAC day eve and queens birthday being the best of them

(positives from an non-dees perspective)
- No stupid split round to start the season
- More Afternoon games and earlier saturday night games
- The fact that Eddie will be so mad with so many games on ANZAC day the fact we have ANZAC day eve

Predictions
well so far i see 2015 being a long slog with some pretty boring matches, although some of our away games look great which sucks

The Dream
4 and 0 start, 14 wins

Expectation
Round 1 win 2 - 2 start at least to the season. 8 wins, with big wins over collingwood (although unpredictable how the pies will go) at least once, and Essendon

Reality
Round 1 loss, no win until Richmond, which could be unlikely. 1 win against the bulldogs and st kilda vodoo to end. losses to essendon (50/50), brisbane and carlton. 4 wins

I'd argue that it isn't even that reasonable from a competitive pov either to be honest.

Well have a terrible set of home attendances again this year, and get lambasted by all the trolls for another solid equalisation payment.

I understand the need to corporate dollars and relevance (particularly in the face of soccers growth), but this policy of a manipulated, uneven fixture is the biggest blight on our competition by a million miles. It's just fundamentally flawed beyond belief.

Well put, I knew McLachlan's comments about making the fixture better for footy fans would be rubbish... oh wait maybe he meant only for some footy fans, the ones who are part of the clubs they like...

I'm not sure we can really use the word competition to describe the AFL anymore either, I'm quite sure there is no other professional sporting code in the world where a team rarely hosts another team for almost a decade, e.g. see our home games vs Essendon and Carlton, but on the other other hand always host the same teams e.g. we have hosted GWS and GC every single year since their inception.

It's total balls, and as a fan I've had enough, it really has nothing to do with ladder position, simply put everyone should have the opportunity to host each other team in the league an even amount of times, it's just common sense, and it doesn't need to be in the best time slots, but how they can run a fixture like this every year and still call this a competition is beyond me.

The fact that arguably the most exciting team in the league, Port Adelaide, gets 2 thursday night games and just 2 friday night games, while crap teams like Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond dominate those time slots - get stuffed, I refuse to watch those teams play boring repetitive matches year after year.

Good post CTHORANGE. The kind of attitude that produces fixtures like this will prevail until somehow (highly highly unlikely) the body responsible for governing the laws of the game (including fixturing) is separate from the body responsible for $$$.

It's a double edged sword, of course, because big $$$ has certainly made some aspects of the game much more palatable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I love the Melbourne - Richmond game. Always feels like a good old fashioned game of footy against two historic clubs.
The fact it would be a Friday night is a bonus. Considering ANZAC eve isn't really a thing I doubt that would matter much.

Yeah but it pisses eddie off so I'm happy with it.

Looking at the fixture list, we're a fair chance to be on zero points come round 8 against the Durgies.

One Friday night game... at least it's an improvement on last year. Only seven games on 7 as well.

I think this is a pretty good fixture considering how poor we were in the second half of the year.

Yes we have to play Essendon, Carlton and Richmond again "away", but the reason why I think this is so is because we have sold 2 games to the NT. Therefore, the AFL tries to compensate for the number of times we have to travel interstate next year by making us play these teams as the "away" team at the MCG.

If we want more Friday/Saturday night free to air games, the answer is simple: win them. I don't know many stations who would play billions of dollars for TV rights and have a preference for broadcasting our games other than the Comedy Channel.

Plus there are heaps of positives such as:
The ANZAC Day eve game vs Richmond which will be our first Friday Night game in 3 years
Mothers Day Eve blockbuster against Paul Roos' old side
Double headers against St Kilda and Western Bulldogs (who I believe we will supersede next year)
Double header against Collingwood (which will help us financially, even in our "away" game)
No double header against North Melbourne

The only things that still remain on my wish list is relocating the the GWS game to the MCG and not having to play North Melbourne for the entire year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back