Preview 2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's how I see it (this post is exclusively for desperados like me who have nothing better to do on a Monday morning):

R1 - v Gold Coast SUNS (MCG)- Loss
2015 won't be the year we buck the trend of losing a 'winnable' game to an interstate side at the G

R2 - v GWS GIANTS (SO) - Win
If we're serious about 2015 there's no way we can drop this game.

R3 - v Adelaide (AO) - Loss
Lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice.

R4 - v Richmond (MCG) - Win
A stirring win for the true believers.

R5 - v Fremantle (MCG) - Loss
A devastating loss to dishearten the true believers.

R6 - v Sydney (MCG) - Loss
I reckon we'll push the Swans the whole way but will ultimately end up losing by a goal or less.

R7 - v Hawthorn (MCG) - Loss
Hawthorn will never leave second gear and beat us by ten goals.

R8 - v Western Bulldogs (MCG) - Win
A good rivalry has been developing here. We should win, if it was at Docklands we'd lose.

R9 - v Port Adelaide (TP) - Loss
Port simply too good across the park.

R10 - v Collingwood (MCG) - Win
You've gotta bank on at least one upset every year. A big win on a big stage.

R11 - v St Kilda (ES) - Loss
Will be a horrible, horrible game.

R12 - v Geelong (SS) - Loss
In my head this game is accompanied by the soothing tones of Burt Bacharach's 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again'.

Bye - Come into the bye 4-8.

R13 - v West Coast (TIO) - Loss
Reigning Brownlow medallist Matt Priddis to kick 14 before being subbed off at half time.

R14 - v Essendon (MCG) - Loss
Knowing us this will be the only game Essendon win all season.

R15 - v Brisbane (MCG) - Loss
The Lions will be much improved this year.

R16 - v St Kilda (MCG) - Win
An ugly win which will only go part way to make up for the humiliating loss to the Saints earlier in the year.

R17 - v Collingwood (MCG) - Loss
Feels odd that we're playing them twice. Do we still get gate takings from QB?

R18 - v North Melbourne (MCG) - Loss
At least we only play them once.

R19 - v Western Bulldogs (ES) - Loss
Dogs to win the return game.

R20 - v Carlton (MCG) - Loss
This is a winnable game but I think we'll be running out of steam by this point. Plus I'm being intentionally conservative.

R21 - v Fremantle (PS) - Win
Just kidding.

R22 - v GWS GIANTS (ES) - Win
What the hell is this? Some kind of sick joke?

So by my (conservative) count we finish the season at 6-16. No doubt we'll pull a out an unexpected win or two and also crash and burn somewhere spectacularly. It's an improvement but not by much. At least we'll see plenty of footy ('footy') at the G.

If Ablett doesn't play R1, I reckon we win. GC are still much better than us without him, but first game back for the year they'll be more disorganised and in need of a leader. Should hit them hard.

IMO we need to win all the games we won this year, as a minimum. Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, and Adelaide in Adelaide. Anything else would be a step back. Then we need to win at least 4/6 of the double ups v WB/St Kilda/GWS, at least one game v Collingwood if not both, and one of Brisbane/WC. Rest would be huge upsets and I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I still can't quite believe we only got 3 interstate away games.

I'm rationalising this as the AFL wanting to keep the big clubs playing in Melbourne.

I still can't quite believe we only got 3 interstate away games.

I'm rationalising this as the AFL wanting to keep the big clubs playing in Melbourne.
Yep. If we can get through the entirety of our NT partnership with only 5 games interstate including ones we sell, that would be phenomenal. 17 games in Victoria is a great result from a supporter PoV.

We were lucky to beat Essendon and Adelaide, reckon they'll beat us next season. Richmond were terrible when we beat them but at their best they should be playing finals, I don't think we will beat them either. Carlton I see going backwards so let's get that one.

St Kilda, GWS and Western Bulldogs we play each twice, need to beat them all at least once.

Hard to see any other wins, Possibly West Coast at TIO, and maybe one against Collingwood.

I predict 4-6 wins.

We were lucky to beat Essendon and Adelaide, reckon they'll beat us next season. Richmond were terrible when we beat them but at their best they should be playing finals, I don't think we will beat them either. Carlton I see going backwards so let's get that one.

St Kilda, GWS and Western Bulldogs we play each twice, need to beat them all at least once.

Hard to see any other wins, Possibly West Coast at TIO, and maybe one against Collingwood.

I predict 4-6 wins.

St Kilda, Carlton and the Dogs are our cellar-dwelling competition. Collingwood, GWS and West Coast will be the teams winning 8 odd games and not threatening to make finals. If Ablett is fit, Gold Coast should be pushing the top 4 next year.

I see us winning 3 or 4 games again next year. It'd take a number of kids stepping up a level and a good run with injuries for us to climb out of the bottom 4.

I'm getting really frustrated with the constant away games to both Richmond and Essendon year after year, they are usually good contests and supporters often show up, then why do we always get nothing out of it! Also as a person who lives in rural Victoria it's hard to get to games, so channel seven only televising 7 out of 23 can go and get stuffed, Not everyone has pay TV!
Actually when we had a dispute with Foxtel over one of our monthly bills and they cut off our service for a fortnight, what I did was watch the pay TV games on the Justin TV app on my iPhone.

Some copyright-rebel legend broadcasted all the AFL games for free. Although the picture quality was a bit off I had to admit.

Counted with the fixture fridge magnet. Seven games on FTA all season.

That's seven.

Of 22.

Seven.

I don't even know if that's high or low compared to last season. I do know that it doesn't seem that surprising. I guess you're coming from experience with a big club that has healthy FTA coverage.

It's about on par if there were were 4 games on FTA per week. How many are there?

The really frustrating thing regardless is that just about all our FTA games are home games at the 'G - ie, games I and most other members/fans will be attending.

It's about on par if there were were 4 games on FTA per week. How many are there?

The really frustrating thing regardless is that just about all our FTA games are home games at the 'G - ie, games I and most other members/fans will be attending.
4 a week (in NSW anyways) Friday/Saturday nights; Saturday/Sunday arvo. Sometimes more for special rounds, e.g. ANZAC Day/Queens B'Day/Easter.
Not really surprised that we get s**t all coverage though. We're a s**t team, and while I hate the chorus of 'Paul Roos footy = ugly/unwatchable', lets be honest, it's not much of a spectacle most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on the footy show round 1, Damien barrett: Early in the off season it was reported that Melbourne captain Nathan Jones hurt himself while cutting. the medical staff at Melbourne stated that he would be out for a week but the injury has so far sidelined him for round 1. Melbourne expect him to be out for another 4 weeks

Round 5: Damien Barrett: Weeks ago i broke the story on the footy show that Melbourne captain Nathan Jones was going to be out for longer than expected, well tonight i can say there are some worrying signs coming out of the Melbourne camp. it is believed that Jone's body is not responding to the medical treatment well and this cut could sideline the skipper longer, who knows how long for. Melbourne says he still is another four weeks away

End of Season - Jones did not play

on the footy show round 1, Damien barrett: Early in the off season it was reported that Melbourne captain Nathan Jones hurt himself while cutting. the medical staff at Melbourne stated that he would be out for a week but the injury has so far sidelined him for round 1. Melbourne expect him to be out for another 4 weeks

Round 5: Damien Barrett: Weeks ago i broke the story on the footy show that Melbourne captain Nathan Jones was going to be out for longer than expected, well tonight i can say there are some worrying signs coming out of the Melbourne camp. it is believed that Jone's body is not responding to the medical treatment well and this cut could sideline the skipper longer, who knows how long for. Melbourne says he still is another four weeks away

Lol, entertaining post but think you're in the wrong thread mr fan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back