Analysis 2015 Forward structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else think Walker is a MUST up forward this season?

The bloke knows how to kick a goal (think he nailed over 50 in 2011) and think him and Menzel working together in the forward 50 could cause the opposition headaches.

Will Walker play a big part of the season?

Huge injury problems last 12 months. Players rarely have no pre-season and then smash it, regardless of fitness.

Our fwd line is so devoid of tall talent that Hendo must play there. Menzel is our next best fwd. Maybe Daisy will have more impact? Then we add jones and levi. Next is a resting mid.

Cant see AW having any impact this season. Hope I'm wrong because he was electric a couple years ago.

The small role is up for grabs, as is the third tall position. Levi will be ahead due to his ruck ability.

It's sad that Jones is a walk up starter when his output is rubbish.

Walker played well in the forward line under Ratts, and with his agility and vertical leap, He'd be a handy tall to slot in there along with Hendo and Casboult.

It's sad that Jones is a walk up starter when his output is rubbish.

Walker played well in the forward line under Ratts, and with his agility and vertical leap, He'd be a handy tall to slot in there along with Hendo and Casboult.
Surely he deserves 4 or 5 games in a new team before being condemned to the scrapheap.

Only those who are inform deserve a game.
Walker has just had minor knee surgery. He is Best 22, but has to prove himself fully recovered - as we cannot continue to carry out of form or injured players. The competition is too strong. Example, 2E last year. We have depth now, so make it tough to get in and to stay in the Best 22.

Walker is part of top 6 forwards.

Hendo is our most proven lock in 22 with Watto (6 Goals!) and Cas looking good as talls - with Jones still to prove he is better than Watto. Jaksch is another swingman like Hendo who would be awesome forward (if Jones and watto cannot make the grade).
For mid sized Menz, 1AW, Thomas give plenty of run, leap and poise. and can go through the midfield. Add resting mids #3, Gibbs, Judd, etc.
Smalls are Clem, Tutt and Buc's at present? However Yaz could also be considered and can run through the midfield.

Best forward structure may be:

Yaz, Cas, KJ
Menz/1AW, Hendo, Daisy

All have a tank and can go into the midfield rotations/ruck!
All can kick (C'mon Cas prove me right).
All have a weapon!

Watched the game again last night

it was like the young ones were channeling Mitch Robinson as to who could kick it the worst to no one...panic stations - all aboard!!
Agree our kicking was horrid but appeared that conditions were very tough also.

That combined with nerves and first hit out etc were all contributing factors but we do need to "handle the heat" and use the ball better this year and hopefully that will come once we get our senior players back and in form.

Geez I hate a game spoiled by weather. It happens so rarely now and when it does - like the wind the other evening - I reckon the viewing pleasure is about halved. Chocolate pud without the cream, ok but ultimately not as satisfying as hoped.

TV commentary was pretty fair- acknowledging the lack of experience in the middle and the very strong wind making it not a day for forwards to show their stuff..

Tuohey played very well and Jacksh said 'hello I'm here to play' - but really concerned about the lack of poise shown by blokes who should be better- Docherty and Graham butchered the ball over and over..don't have high expectations for Graham tbh...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the TV commentary was utter garbage. They spent most of the time gasbagging with a guest player they invited into the box (save it for the mid week shows fellas) and just talking absolute crap between themselves. They hardly commented on the game, you never knew who had the footy and who was doing what unless you coudl clearly see for yourself.

If you didn't know who all the players were or you were watching poor video quality you'd never know who was who or who had the ball.

When I turn on the footy, I want to know who has the ball, who's doing what and what's going on in the game and there was very little of this going on. If I wanted to sit around and listen to a bunch of blokes talk about everything but what's happening out there on the field and talking absolute dribble I'd go to the pub with my mates and watch it there.

It's nearly getting as bad as the cricket where it's all about wow wee!, bang!, what ever buzz words or silly garbage they can waffle on about so they don't have to discuss the game, tactics, expert knowledge and what's actually going on out on the field.

Reckon if we wanna climb the ladder we prob need 2 of our big key forwards to kick at least 40 goals each for the season. Which is only averaging 2 a game. Question is are our big fellas capable of doing this?

Think Henderson could do this easily however only if others are also performing if not opposition will double team him and make life very hard for him.

Surely its about time Casboult gave us at least 2 goals a game has had a few years in the seniors now so really need ls to take his game to another level.

Reckon if we wanna climb the ladder we prob need 2 of our big key forwards to kick at least 40 goals each for the season. Which is only averaging 2 a game. Question is are our big fellas capable of doing this?

Waite gone means a higher percentage of ball; even he struggled to crack 40.

I fear they'll be starved of delivery. Boosting our midfield is the key to addressing our lack of forward entries.

Big things expect of Boekhorst.

I'm hoping we could get a group of tall forwards. Say Hendo Cas Jones Watto KJ and may be Kruz and hope for 100-120 goals between them.
Then hope that our midfield and small forwards can provide regular scoreboard impact.
We do have some fire power in the midfield.

I think Carlton need to play Andrew Walker up forward this season as that high half forward who can take marks on the lead and kick your 1-2 goals per game. He kicked 56 goals in 24 games back in 2011 and had his most productive season that year. Now I'm not saying he's not a good half back flanker, but he's best served in a role where he can have a significant impact on the game in which he can potentially be a match-winner.

A lot of blues fans would agree with you. Hopefully, our forward line doesn't NEED him there to kick a winning score. We have certainly got a few players who are up-and-coming types to do exactly what 1AW does now, such as Sheehan, Viojo-Rainbow and Buckley. They aren't ready for the role 100% yet though and may take a few seasons.

Tried to convince myself Hendo could be solution to our forward woes but kind of feels like we are robbing peter to pay paul.

Now that the club has officially announced a rebuild get Hendo back to CHB as of this weekend and leave him there I reckon!!!!!

Let Casboult, Jones and Rowe have first crack at the forward line and if they don't perform give Watto a crack.

Hope Watto can kick a bag in the ressies this week to put some pressure on these blokes!!!!!

Tried to convince myself Hendo could be solution to our forward woes but kind of feels like we are robbing peter to pay paul.

Now that the club has officially announced a rebuild get Hendo back to CHB as of this weekend and leave him there I reckon!!!!!

Let Casboult, Jones and Rowe have first crack at the forward line and if they don't perform give Watto a crack.

Hope Watto can kick a bag in the ressies this week to put some pressure on these blokes!!!!!

Agreed.

I think Carlton need to play Andrew Walker up forward this season as that high half forward who can take marks on the lead and kick your 1-2 goals per game. He kicked 56 goals in 24 games back in 2011 and had his most productive season that year. Now I'm not saying he's not a good half back flanker, but he's best served in a role where he can have a significant impact on the game in which he can potentially be a match-winner.

Walkers coming from say way back with his knee.
His main weapons were taken away from him last year being his leap, agility and speed due to his knee issue.
There have been rumours that it will never be as good as it was but I must say, I liked the way he moved via the gameday footage from last week.

Can only hope (???) that it's as good as it can be.

I think we have a lot of flexibility in the side at the moment particularly with walker and Cripps in. Both have very Strong hands and can both run through the the middle and forward, walker of course can rotate to be the free man down back with yarran if need be. Our changes mid game have been occurring, there has been a pLAn B but it's been reactive to losing the ball in the middle not whe we are trying to keep momentum up. Hopefully we can have a similar start this week and then make changes to keep turd guessing on match ups. Hopefully tomorrow is the day casboult kicks 4+ goals and shows himself to the afl

HF: Walker Rowe Everitt
FF: Menzel Casboult Jones

Would like a small crumbing forward in there somewhere.

Yeah I was going to ask people's thoughts about swapping Hendo and Rowe around. Hendo had his best year down back and Rowe looked good when he played forward for a small stretch the other week, kicking 2. I hate changing the structure around constantly and think we need a little more stability, but I would look at Rowe and Levi as main forwards, with Jones and Watson to fight for the 3rd tall spot when required. Both have limitations. We know that Watson turns like a boat, and Jones is going to always be the kind of player that goes missing in patches and doesn't get a lot of touches, but as a 3rd tall, all they really need to do is stretch the defence and kick 1-2 per game with the occasional 4-5. Menzel and Walker as the medium forwards that can push up the wing, with Buckley, Ellard, Smith and Tutt vying for the crumbing roles. Any one of those small/mid forwards can rotate through the middle when Judd, Thomas and the like need a rest forward.
My preference would probably be:
HF: Walker, Levi, Menzel
FF: Smith, Rowe, Buckley, with Smith out when Jones or Watson come in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back