List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enright Kelly and Hmac will retire, virtually certain all three will IMO.
Rivers and SJ are currently our best performing of the over 30s but both are carrying signficant ongoing injuries, the club will want them to play on if they can but it depends on their bodies at year's end.
Bartel will go on.
Mackie and Stokes depends on their form and how many list spots the club needs. I tend to think that if we have 6-8 other players going off the list they will get another year, as there's not much point retiring them to replace them with pick 100+ in the draft.

Of the young players Hartman may not come back.
Realistically if you bet the odds, given their medical histories, at least one of Simpson/Menzel/Cowan won't make it onto the list in 2016.
If Clark and Stanley stay fit all year (a big IF with Clark's injury history I know) and Blicavs plays well, there won't be enough games for all the talls, meaning whichever of Walker and Kersten is stuck in the vfl the most will request a trade (neither can afford not to be playing afl regularly at this stage of their careers)
Blease and Smedts are out of contract and needing good years to stay on the list

That's the group the changes will come from, I doubt anyone outside that list goes unless the club's hand is forced ala Christensen and they lose a player they don't want to.
The interesting thing is looking at that list, I can see that we could easily vacate 8-10 list spots this year, whereas in previous years list spots have been very tight. It's another reason why I think the club will heavily target free agents this year in general, and not just Danger and Scooter, because if we lose that many players and don't replace some of them with free agents, we will be using picks in the 6th and 7th round of the draft, which doesn't make a lot of sense to do unless we have to.
And Vardy?

And don't mention McStay. Dubs will go into a tizz :)

And rivers still has a year to go on his contract.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-on-contract-discussions-20150314-143zcw.html

Here we go again…

Let the commotion begin.

Well probably not in reality but you know it will be there just because its a GFC player and a contract due.

He might get 2 years - probably one with an option - but based on his efforts so far in the 2 NAB games id be backing the 2.

Go Catters

"The Cats have eight pending free agents this season, including Andrew Mackie, James Kelly and Steve Johnson, with only Corey Enright so far indicating he will retire.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-on-contract-discussions-20150314-143zcw.html

It's just another annoying distraction, isn't it?

Enright Kelly and Hmac will retire, virtually certain all three will IMO.
Rivers and SJ are currently our best performing of the over 30s but both are carrying signficant ongoing injuries, the club will want them to play on if they can but it depends on their bodies at year's end.
Bartel will go on.
Mackie and Stokes depends on their form and how many list spots the club needs. I tend to think that if we have 6-8 other players going off the list they will get another year, as there's not much point retiring them to replace them with pick 100+ in the draft.

Of the young players Hartman may not come back.
Realistically if you bet the odds, given their medical histories, at least one of Simpson/Menzel/Cowan won't make it onto the list in 2016.
If Clark and Stanley stay fit all year (a big IF with Clark's injury history I know) and Blicavs plays well, there won't be enough games for all the talls, meaning whichever of Walker and Kersten is stuck in the vfl the most will request a trade (neither can afford not to be playing afl regularly at this stage of their careers)
Blease and Smedts are out of contract and needing good years to stay on the list

That's the group the changes will come from, I doubt anyone outside that list goes unless the club's hand is forced ala Christensen and they lose a player they don't want to.
The interesting thing is looking at that list, I can see that we could easily vacate 8-10 list spots this year, whereas in previous years list spots have been very tight. It's another reason why I think the club will heavily target free agents this year in general, and not just Danger and Scooter, because if we lose that many players and don't replace some of them with free agents, we will be using picks in the 6th and 7th round of the draft, which doesn't make a lot of sense to do unless we have to.
Pretty much agree. It's also why we had to make the calls on some younger players at the end of 2014. We couldn't get to the end of 2015 and potentially have 10+ departing at the same time.

I could see a couple of young players requesting trades if we don't handle them well in 2015.

He's a pretty big risk too so you could put him in that Menze/Cowan/Simpson category
I'm not yet prepared to put Vardy in that category,unless you have information on the hip other than it having to be managed which we have known for a couple of years at least, it's only the ACL from last season that has him sidelined and there is nothing to suggest it will become chronic as in poor Menzels case,at 23 I'm still extremely hopeful he will still be very good player for years to come.

I'm sure rivers still has another year to run on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much agree. It's also why we had to make the calls on some younger players at the end of 2014. We couldn't get to the end of 2015 and potentially have 10+ departing at the same time.

I could see a couple of young players requesting trades if we don't handle them well in 2015.

Yeah I must admit I was surprised we moved as many fringe players off the list as we did at the end of 2014, but in hindsight I can see why they were aggressive with it, because we have so many likely list changes this year and you can't have 10 + in the same year, you need to try and spread it out.

On the bolded do you have any specific names you would suggest? I definitely think Walker given how well he played in the finals, if he now doesn't get a chance to show that form again because of Clark and Stanley coming in, he would be peeved, and Kersten also.

I am fairly confident Thurlow will be in the 22 once he is fit again and am confident he will re-sign.

Yeah I must admit I was surprised we moved as many fringe players off the list as we did at the end of 2014, but in hindsight I can see why they were aggressive with it, because we have so many likely list changes this year and you can't have 10 + in the same year, you need to try and spread it out.

On the bolded do you have any specific names you would suggest? I definitely think Walker given how well he played in the finals, if he now doesn't get a chance to show that form again because of Clark and Stanley coming in, he would be peeved, and Kersten also.

I am fairly confident Thurlow will be in the 22 once he is fit again and am confident he will re-sign.
My worries are, in order, Kolo, Thurlow, Walker and Kersten.

Kolo I am most worried about because he looks like he's up against it breaking into the side and I can just see others sniffing around if he doesn't get a decent exposure to AFL this year. Also, he plays in the position where we are in most need of someone to come through the ranks and take over from the older incumbents.

Agree with you on the others. Thurlow I'm hopeful will get plenty of opportunities but I'm just a little wary because they took too long to bring him in last year IMO. I'd hate to see something similar this year.

Kolo I am most worried about because he looks like he's up against it breaking into the side and I can just see others sniffing around if he doesn't get a decent exposure to AFL this year. Also, he plays in the position where we are in most need of someone to come through the ranks and take over from the older incumbents.

Agree with you on the others. Thurlow I'm hopeful will get plenty of opportunities but I'm just a little wary because they took too long to bring him in last year IMO. I'd hate to see something similar this year.
I'm probably more worried about Kersten.

Mainly because he's been there about 4 years and can't keep his spot.
And I should add, it's probably his fault that he hasn't. But he may get frustrated.

I'm probably more worried about Kersten.

Mainly because he's been there about 4 years and can't keep his spot.
And I should add, it's probably his fault that he hasn't. But he may get frustrated.
Yeah, that's true. But in terms of how costly for us it will be losing a player, I'd have Kersten behind Kolo and Thurlow.

Assuming Clark stays fit, and vardy gets fit, I agree.

Assuming Clark stays fit, and vardy gets fit, I agree.
My view on Kersten is he's very talented but can't hold down a key post. So I think we are stuffed anyway if our other key options - Clark, Walker and Vardy - aren't available.

Realistically Kolo is a second year KPD, not many KPD's play a stack of afl in their second year unless they are in bottom 4 sides as they take time to develop physically. With Lonergan and Rivers having only a year or two to go and Enright going after this year he will get opportunities soon, maybe even this year. The only reason he leaves is if he's jealous that his brother is playing afl than he isn't, but if he's realistic he will know his long term future her is very good as we have no other KPD except Delaney.

Walker and Kersten is different because Clark and Stanley are 27 and 24 respectively so if those two stay fit they could be stuck behind them for years. Hence why I think we lose one of them at year;s end unless the two guys we traded in are injured. I can live with this so long as we trade them to fix a list weakness like a good clearance midfielder or a good ruckman to replace McIntosh. I'd be filthy if we lost Walker in particular for little return.

Thurlow by all reports was training the house down before the kidney injury, that will have set him back a long way but I expect to see him in the 1's in the second half of the year, he and Bews are the two defenders I expect to see come in.

On rivers I don't think he's as certain to go as you suggest, form is outstanding and don't forget he is probably more desperate to win a flag than any player on our list, it's why he came here. The only reason he retires this year is if his knee can't get up for games anymore, if it still can and if we are still in contention he will play another year even if his number of games has to be managed.

Realistically Kolo is a second year KPD, not many KPD's play a stack of afl in their second year unless they are in bottom 4 sides as they take time to develop physically. With Lonergan and Rivers having only a year or two to go and Enright going after this year he will get opportunities soon, maybe even this year. The only reason he leaves is if he's jealous that his brother is playing afl than he isn't, but if he's realistic he will know his long term future her is very good as we have no other KPD except Delaney.

Walker and Kersten is different because Clark and Stanley are 27 and 24 respectively so if those two stay fit they could be stuck behind them for years. Hence why I think we lose one of them at year;s end unless the two guys we traded in are injured. I can live with this so long as we trade them to fix a list weakness like a good clearance midfielder or a good ruckman to replace McIntosh. I'd be filthy if we lost Walker in particular for little return.

Thurlow by all reports was training the house down before the kidney injury, that will have set him back a long way but I expect to see him in the 1's in the second half of the year, he and Bews are the two defenders I expect to see come in.

On rivers I don't think he's as certain to go as you suggest, form is outstanding and don't forget he is probably more desperate to win a flag than any player on our list, it's why he came here. The only reason he retires this year is if his knee can't get up for games anymore, if it still can and if we are still in contention he will play another year even if his number of games has to be managed.
All good points.

With Kolo, I agree that if he has a level head he will see that he just needs to be patient. It's also why I'd rather give the opportunities in key defence openings in 2015 to Kolo rather than Blicavs. I want Kolo to feel like he is next in line. The risk is other clubs getting in his ear and convincing him otherwise.

As above in my response to VC, I think we have more coverage options in key forward players so I'm less concerned about losing one of them. It will be annoying but not disastrous.

On Rivers, I am basing my view on information that his knees are pretty stuffed and 2015 is what he considers the last crack at a flag he has in him.

Yep, scroll up, I explained. I'm speculating on a couple but Enright, McIntosh and Rivers are certainties.

The closest to the truth there I reckon for 3 that will be done.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back