Review 2015 Grand Final: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown Seagulls, 27 September 2015, 3.00pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I haven't seen this one, but I did see last years and 2013's, but when you compare 2013's premiership and the last 2 years, there seems to be a distinct lack of desire and win at all costs play that was seen in the 2013 GF.

I think one thing to factor into it is that the last two years BoxHill/Hawthorn have had bigger fish to fry with our AFL team in the GF and our oppositions were a team whose AFL team was not competing in finals (Footscray) and a stand alone team (Willy) with effectively nothing to lose. In 2013 we were not only the underdog as Geelong were favourites but Hawthorn had just beaten Geelong in the AFL prelim a couple of days before so I think we had a bit of a psychological advantage.

Next week? I'd say most in the foreseeable future

Bit rough. They've all had off games, but most youngsters have shown good stuff all year. JOR, Jed, Howe, Teia, etc have all made good progression this year (especially Howe). More than that, Cegs and Spangher can be excused partially due to having limited game time for over a month.

It's just the perfect storm for Williamstown which led to BH playing its worst game for the year in the biggest game of the year.

Could have been a lot different if players kicked straight and took their chances.

What a pathetic and insipid performance from Box Hill today, there worst game of the year get to the big dance and don't show up, where was Sicily, TOB , and Grimley and questions should be asked of Marco Bello.

I'm in agreeance with others on here. We thought our youngsters were capable and yes they have have a great year, but under pressure they crumble. Our seniors do that too, that can't be a coincidence surely.

I wonder whether the knowledge that nobody was likely to get a senior call up regardless of performance today had an impact on effort.

Admittedly, watching most of the games this year, I'm more concerned with TOB, Langers and WhiteX.

- TOB still hasn't really shown much to say he will be a strong forward. Sicily has jumped ahead of him in the queue as a result.
- WhiteX's disposal efficiency hasn't been as good as what it was pre-ACLs. To be expected I guess, but concerning he has lost that too, along with some of his dash.
- Langers (although playing well today) STILL has poor kicking efficiency. He REALLY needs to go back this summer and kick everyday till he can knock a can off a tin roof everytime. His actual decision making isn't that bad, but the execution of kicking it to that decision at pace or in crunch moments really hurts his game. He fixes that, he's first team all the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outcoached on the day, last quarter was never likely to be pretty. Midfield was shut down and the entries were rendered ineffective, no talls could get into the game and you could see it in the first quarter, there was not much structure all game. Backline mistakes are what they are.

Langford was well handled to be honest, love his effort but we all know what he has to work on over the offseason.

Liked Miles and Anderson today, Howe too though he didn't get a lot of it. A lot of other guys had good years but didn't show it to fans watching for the first time.

O'Rourke has kept trying but I just don't see it with him, at the moment.

He is a strange player. Good tank but not quick. Pretty good disposal but poor decision making. Doesn't tackle. Not an inside mid but also not and outside mid. I guess he was a gamble more than anything and at the moment it isn't paying off

Admittedly, watching most of the games this year, I'm more concered with TOB, Langers and WhiteX.

- TOB still hasn't really shown much to say he will be a strong forward. Sicily has jumped ahead of him in the queue as a result.
- WhiteX's disposal efficiency hasn't been as good as what it was pre-ACLs. To be expected I guess, but concerning he has lost that too, along with some of his dash.
- Langers (although playing well today) STILL has poor kicking efficiency. He REALLY needs to go back this summer and kick everyday till he can knock a can of a tin roof everytime. His actual decision making isn't that bad, but the execution of kicking it to that decision at pace or in crunch moments really hurts his game. He fixes that, he's first team all the way.

I expect that Whitecross and Grimley have played their final games for Hawthorn/Box Hill today. Grimley is almost certain to be departing and Whitecross has not recovered from his ACL injuries to the extent that the club would want.

To be honest, I also have question marks over where Willsmore fits in the future of the Hawks. Litherland is the 2015 Kyle Cheney - good enough to play AFL but not the type that Hawthorn wants. Howe shows talent in glimpses. Miles is a great little player but he needs something special to make it in the AFL with his physical limitations. Langford battles hard but is poor when disposing of it. O'Brien has stagnated.

Box Hill has done very well to make it to the grand final but their gameplan is found out a bit on Etihad Stadium. Went in too tall but ironically none of the tall forwards Box Hill used today can take a pack mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back