Preview 2015 Grand Final: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles - Gunston IN, Hartung OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, some of the things Clarko tries in week one of the finals, might make the return matchup with West Coast alot different.

Played Frawley forward, Rioli in the middle.

This time around, it won't be that way and Clarko has ended up not revealing how he'd actually matchup against them.

Who would you rather we play in the granny? Kangas or Eagles?
I reckon we have a better chance at the flag if we played the Kangas.
Thanks in advance for those that respond.
P.s. I want to barrack for the right team Saturday night!

This is it. Just 4 more quarters of footy. After playing and starting so dismally against West Coast (our likely opponent at this stage) I'd really expect us to be fired up to not lower our colours to them again.

We looked a bit out of legs in the last quarter until Rioli kicked those 2 goals which seemed to put the spark back into us. West Coast will really enjoy that week off too.

I don't know if a bruise free win for West Coast would be beneficial for us or not. Going on the logic that it did horrible things for Sydney last year not playing a single physical side until GF day. We weren't physical against them in the QF, they had the week off and then if North put in the same PF effort as last year it's essentially the same preparation Sydney got. But a tough, bruising affair will be just as good. So win-win.

Hartung will probably be the one to make way unless the coaches reckon his run will be suited to the MCG. If Gunston is fit then he won't be sub - he's too good for that. Schoey I guess could be sub but we've played so well with him playing his role the last couple weeks. Duryea won't be sub after his last 2 games either. I also don't think Suckling or Hill would be good sub options either as their roles are again well suited and crucial to how we play the MCG. We will keep 2 rucks in also. With Nic Nat AND Sinclair playing we can't afford to go with just one.

Glad I don't have to make that call. But I am glad that that is probably the hardest selection decision we have to make this week.

Regardless of what happens I'm immensely proud of the club. This year has been the icing on the cake for me after they delivered last year.

We're certainly a chance next week, the aim would be to intimidate the Eagles early the way we did the Dockers in 2013 and hope they're overawed. My main concern is running out of legs, and also that their run & carry may expose us in a way Freo couldn't.

Whatever happens it is a MAGNIFICENT achievement to make 4 straight GFs in an era of equalization. This team has delivered everything we hoped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Ceglar is fit he must play, don't think we can carry Hale again
I understand the sentiment, but gee, it'd be brave to drop a bloke who knows he's about to play his last game of footy. I reckon he'd give every last bit for the boys in the big dance, assuming he has anything left, that is.

Last edited:
I normally don't feel confident leading into Grand Finals. But this time I feel a strong sense of destiny about the outcome next Saturday.

I understand the sentiment, but gee, it'd be brave to drop a bloke who knows he's about to play his last game of footy. I reckon he'd give every last bit for the boys in the big dance, assuming he has anything left, that is.
Can't just play someone on sentiment. He has almost been a liability the last few weeks

Who would you rather we play in the granny? Kangas or Eagles?
I reckon we have a better chance at the flag if we played the Kangas.
Thanks in advance for those that respond.
P.s. I want to barrack for the right team Saturday night!

Kangas are the inferior team of the two but we often get dragged down to their level when we play them. Plus, the Shinboner Spirit s**t will be unbearable if we play them and we'll no doubt see the Lewis and Hodge incidents replayed at nauseam.

I'd rather play and beat West Coast personally as it will well and truly prove we are the best side.

Not sure what to say about selection if it's WC we play. We look too top heavy with Shoe, Hale, Mc, Gunston and Rough, assuming Gunston gets up.

The Eagles are quicker than us - we haven't faced that kind of leg speed in a GF during this current era. That said, I don't think we'll bring in a player to counter it - but if we do, I hope it's a quick defensive player in Langford or Litherland. I'm no fan of either player's kicking skills, but I worry about that run. The Hawks will be better than Finals week 1, but it maybe wouldn't hurt to be mindful that Geelong (the competitive version) always troubled us with toe through the guts.

If it's North, pace won't be the issue. I don't think it will be North though. They're better suited to us than they are the Eagles.

Two weeks off on a bad ankle doesn't sound like an ideal preparation for the big stage for Gunston. He's a proven performer, but I hope that he knows his body well enough to make the right decision if it comes down to a close call. 2012 was surely the last time Clarko will mess with injured players at the big dance.

Hope those two teams beat the absolute living suitcases out of each other tonight. We've done the hard yards with two trips west, I just hope we have some petrol left in the tank for four more quarters. If Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lake, Cryil, Birch, Gibson and Rough do, we'll get over the line, because the others will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back