AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
60 000 Members seems like a pipe dream, but so did 55 000 at the end of 2013!

How do we get to 60k?

Is it possible?

I personally noticed a fair bit of interest and disappointment (especially come finals ticketing time) in the sold out memberships towards the end of the season.

Glad I have my seats locked in for 2015..

Not sure if it will happen. Honestly, think we will be happy if we keep at 55k next year.
The thrill and appeal of the new AO will wear off which I think could take away a few members.
Basically, if new people wanted to join as members they would have done so this year, so I reckon membership numbers will stay the same.

Not sure if it will happen. Honestly, think we will be happy if we keep at 55k next year.
The thrill and appeal of the new AO will wear off which I think could take away a few members.
Basically, if new people wanted to join as members they would have done so this year, so I reckon membership numbers will stay the same.

I don't think the "thrill and appeal" will wear off. Footy Park was an out of the way shithole that reeked of crow. Football in the city has permanently breathed new life into everyone's football going experience. This is the default position taken for granted by Melbournians for years.

..... if new people wanted to join as members they would have done so this year .......
Not true.

Her indoors only ever went to two or three AFL games at Footy Park (she has been to far more than that at the MCG) and about mid-season decided she wanted to go to a game at AO to see what all the hype was about so I got her in on a guest pass. After that the only reason she missed Port home games was being overseas. I'm buying her an Essential Power membership for 2015 and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in a similar position.

I don't think the "thrill and appeal" will wear off. Footy Park was an out of the way shithole that reeked of crow. Football in the city has permanently breathed new life into everyone's football going experience. This is the default position taken for granted by Melbournians for years.

Yeah, I agree. Adelaide Oval has been the catalyst for a massive change in the CBD and it'll only grow from there.

If the boys keep going on that upward trajectory that we all assume they will and the crowd continues to play their part, Port games will be the hottest ticket in town.

Hopefully then you'll convert the neutrals and have a larger membership base to draw upon.

i have 3 extra people who we have dragged along through the year to come along that want to get tickets with us next year, frustrating part will be trying to get them a seat near us

I think we will have many more 11 game members next year and possibly reach 60000 as well!

This is the key. We need to be working on more season ticket holders, not more members.

This is the key. We need to be working on more season ticket holders, not more members.

Failing this.. maybe we can copy Nigel Not-Smart & offer a few 1 game memberships next year...

Should bolster numbers by 6-12k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have 3 extra people who we have dragged along through the year to come along that want to get tickets with us next year, frustrating part will be trying to get them a seat near us

Yep same, I'm lucky to make 6 games a year so I handed out the tickets to "Port fans" that don't normally go to games.

They all loved it and we're hovering around like seagulls waiting for handouts for the rest of the year. A lot brought guest passes during the year.

Result about 12 new season ticket holders on their way next year.

Honestly, it's unbelievable what KT, Kochie, Kenny and co have done in two years. It's a real life field of dreams. If we finish of the good work and win a flag(s) they should make a movie about it!

Back in the following post on 20th March I said we would get to 55,000 and that 60,000 was a possibility. Ok we had 47,800 at the time so not that big a call.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/pafc-2014-membership-tally.1039977/page-114#post-32143375

But with our 55,700 being reduced by 5,500 by the AFL to account for the supposed 5,500 crowies who make up the 65% of the 2,750 AOSMA footy members, then I think 55,000 AFL recognised members should be the goal for 2015. [The AFL reduced our membership by another 1,400 for Magpies memberships]

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-22/statement-record-membership-growth

As of 22 August, the club’s total membership figure stands at 55,709, the official audited figure released by the AFL today brings that figure down to 48,968.

One of the key criteria for ‘membership’ in the AFL’s audit is that revenue is received by a club (a minimum of $50 per member). However, with changes to the stadium revenue model at the Adelaide Oval in 2014, the AFL has instead split the Adelaide Oval 22-game membership figure between the two clubs on a 35/65 basis against Port Adelaide, despite stadium members having access to all 22 minor round games at the Oval.

This change in auditing system resulted in an allocation of 2,928 Adelaide Oval members to Port Adelaide and 5,278 to the Crows.

The 35/65 distribution split was based on SANFL ‘club of support’ research which had the split at 30/70.

- A like-for-like comparison using the same auditing process used between 1997 and 2013 would have produced an AFL reportable figure of 54,255 and a reduction of just 1453 membership products through the audit.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-22/statement-record-membership-growth

Its very doable.

Last edited:
We need to start by converting those 40,000 crows supporters who bought a Port membership to get into the first showdown, and then apparently kept turning up to all our home games, into Port supporters.

Came in to post this.

Great minds mate.

Has the AFL published the final club membership ladder for 2014?

Failing this.. maybe we can copy Nigel Not-Smart & offer a few 1 game memberships next year...

Should bolster numbers by 6-12k.
We did this for the Carlton game. Those people then proceeded no doubt to snap up all the tickets they could for the final leaving 11 game members in either s**t seats or with no seat. If they do this again, they better change the allocation times for booking finals tickets should we have one.

Seriously, who would drop off after the year we had, the way we played, the venue, the experience, the potential for success???

Back in the Choco years, even when we'd just roll up and win, there were plenty of Port supporters, mainly old school ones, that hated our game plan and were quite critical of Choco, even though he came from Port Adelaide royalty. I have not heard any Port supporter, ever, criticize one thing about Hinkley, his coaching or his game plan. There are no detractors (at this stage at least), something that was never the case in the Choco years.

Seriously, who would drop off after the year we had, the way we played, the venue, the experience, the potential for success???

Back in the Choco years, even when we'd just roll up and win, there were plenty of Port supporters, mainly old school ones, that hated our game plan and were quite critical of Choco, even though he came from Port Adelaide royalty. I have not heard any Port supporter, ever, criticize one thing about Hinkley, his coaching or his game plan. There are no detractors (at this stage at least), something that was never the case in the Choco years.

It started with that possession s**t that confused our players and we lost the first ever game at Docklands by 94 points.

Inb4 3rd tall forward! :p

I think the push to secure 11game memberships with GF tickets will be massive this year. Everyone can see we are close and who wants to miss out on a GF ticket?

I would be happy to keep the same amount of members, but turn 5k 3 game members into 11game members.

I think the push to secure 11game memberships with GF tickets will be massive this year. Everyone can see we are close and who wants to miss out on a GF ticket?

I would be happy to keep the same amount of members, but turn 5k 3 game members into 11game members.

The Crows make an extra $100 on these ticket guarantees. Whilst funny and useless, it's a great money spinner for them.

Yep same, I'm lucky to make 6 games a year so I handed out the tickets to "Port fans" that don't normally go to games.

They all loved it and we're hovering around like seagulls waiting for handouts for the rest of the year. A lot brought guest passes during the year.

Result about 12 new season ticket holders on their way next year.

Honestly, it's unbelievable what KT, Kochie, Kenny and co have done in two years. It's a real life field of dreams. If we finish of the good work and win a flag(s) they should make a movie about it!

Speaking of Movies.. I've been dreaming of a 'Remember the Titans' type movie about PAFC since midway through last year..

Who's going to send the script to potential producers?

Who on earth would not renew? We're primed to go better next year, we have between the club and organically built the match day experience outside the game itself to being the envy of the AFL and have had almost every non-Port person (excluding of course crows fans and a few Richmond fans conflating their spanking with AO being bad) saying that result aside AO was a great experience and they'll be back to see their own team there again. And there's been tons of neutrals who've gone to our games and have said they'll go to at least as many more, with quite a few thinking of getting a season ticket just to watch us, even if we are their 'second team'.

We'll have 11 game member numbers up and overall member numbers up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back