2015 News

Remove this Banner Ad

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Seeing as how we've been posting under an old thread, lets start something more formal for this season...after watching Lorne's practise game last week, Ive had another chance to catch up with them again today when they played Monash Uni Blues. The Blues played pretty well standard amateur style with a team of light weight runners. On a big ground I think they would have given the bulkier Lorne team a bit of a caning, but they found the tight confines of the Lorne ground hard to adapt to. Lorne will trouble a lot of teams on their tiny ground, at least until the new list of players gels. Its fair to say that they have a good squad to work with but still aren't clicking as a unit, but that should come. Unusual for Lorne to have enough players this early in the season to be able to play both a reserves and seniors practise match without anyone having to double up for both games....Good game to watch tho and played in the right manner.
What's the latest from you lot of the other side of the hill?

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
From CDFL Live...

Max Blake's CDFL Top 20 Players

SHOWS 30/03/2015
CDFL Live caller reveals his top 20 CDFL players for the upcoming season
CDFL Live caller Max Blake has released his top 20 CDFL players entering this new season, players are judge on their skills, stance in the game and importance to their clubs chances, players returning to their clubs and to the league have also been added to the list.

1) Jaxson Barham (Lorne)

Returns to the Pod after a season of travelling, Jaxson enters this season with a glowing CV, a former premiership player at 17 with Lorne, drafted to Collingwood, 28 disposals in debut game, A large amount of VFL games with Collingwood and Geelong and was a valuable member of Lorne’s 2013 Premiership. The Dolphins named him captain for this upcoming season, which shows he is determined to play well- a full season, of his run and dash and lethal skills, you could almost lock him into Mahoney Medal favouritism.

2) Khan Beckett (Irrewarra-Beeac)

It’s great news for the league that Khan Beckett has returned and excellent news for Irrewarra-Beeac who went back to his former club, where he played in three premiership and coached for two season. Khan has spent that last two season’s playing in major leagues. In 2013 for Camperdown, where after a slow start to the season, became one of the league’s best players and eventually winning Camperdown’s best and fairest, last season Khan had a crack at GFL with the Colac Tigers and was a big factor in the Tigers success in both Seniors and reserves sides, When he left the CDFL, he was regarded as one of the best players in the comp, you add his experience playing at a higher level with that, he should be set for a big season this year.

3) Corey Baulch (Simpson)

You always know what you’re from the Baulch-Man and last year he had a super season, by winning the Mahoney Medal, being awarded the best on ground medal in the Grand Final and capping it all off by winning Simpon’s best and fairest. He played majority of the season in the ruck, which gave the Tigers a important start in most stoppages, word is he has rocked up to a training session this Pre-Season, so watch out! Expect another big year from the Baulch man.

4) Michael Davis (Birregurra)

Micky had another consistent season last year, which again saw him play off in another Grand Final. his centre clearance work is first class, and use of the footy is super. He seems to be able to kick a goal when Birre need one, he has been the CDFL captain for the past two interleague campaigns and rightly deserved, another strong year is on the cards.

5) Ben Cox (South Colac)

Coxy was back to his best form last year, after a horror 2013 season where he was plagued with a knee injury. His good mate Christian snuck just over the top of him in the top goal kicking stakes in the final round of the season, but his influence in the finals is why the Roos managed to creep from the Elimination Final stage to the Preliminary final stage, The Roos now have a stack of talent in their midfield, which should complement him more than its ever had. Expect a big year.

6) Christian Kelly (Birregurra)

Had to have him by Coxy’s side, last year he was back to his goal kicking best, and did a mighty fine job representing the CDFL with a seven goal haul. Redemption for a poor outing on Grand Final day will be on his mind through out the season, if Birre are to be successful this year, he will play a big part of it.

7) Dean Sheetz (Apollo Bay)

The league’s best big man defender, by his standards didn’t have as good as year last year than his 2013 season, however now is the main man in charge of the Hawks this season and it should take charge, his ability to read the play is first class, and his marking inside defensive 50 intercepting the opposition kicks- keeps the Hawks big contenders again this season.

8) Tom McCrickard (Alvie)

Gone down my rankings a bit from last year, as i didn’t think he had as big of a impact as i thought he would, still a very handy player and at his best one of the best in the comp, If Alvie are to go far in 2015, he needs to fire each week he plays.

9) Mick Embrey (South Colac)

He comes to South Colac this year with more than 150 GFL games of experience, a handy defender and midfielder who has pace and uses the footy well, spent most of last year on the side lines after suffering a knee injury last 2013 but found form with the Tigers reserves and represented them in the Grand Final, he will be a very handy player in this league.

10) Liam McGuane (Alvie)

Liam had a super year last year in his return to the Swans after two seasons with the Colac Tigers, winning their best and fairest, he returned a much better player and leader and it showed on the field, another big season awaits Liam.

11) Aaron Mahoney (Otway Districts)

You got to love how the way this bloke plays his footy! The Mahoney boys are a huge asset for Otway and i think deep down they wish they had more, Aaron had a super year last year, he leads by example, hard and tough and gets in and under. One of the reasons why i like to watch Otway play.

12) Steven Oliver (Lorne)

Snuck under the guard with all the other boom recruits Lorne have announced, was a super player in his many years in the CDFL before he left last year to go to GDFL club Winchelsea last season, dominates in the middle, and uses the ball very well and kicks goals.

13) Sean Wells (Forrest)

It will be interesting where Sean fits in Forrest plans this year, they have recruited many midfielders that have talent, his 2014 season was super and just maybe if he didn’t decide to take a week off to protect his body due to getting married on the Sunday after the game he may of won himself the Mahoney Medal. He represented the CDFL well in the Interleague match.

14) Tom McKay (Colac Imperials)

Explosive pace, uses the footy well and kicks goals- The Imps best player and one of the most exciting players in the comp. He will be disappointed with his finals efforts from last year, but he should continue his fine form in the league.

15) Nick Harding (Simpson)

It’s a big year for the man they call “Whoppa” – Mark Clissold he right hand man from last year isn’t at the club anymore, so the Tigers will be to rely on him a bit more this year, his Pre-Lim final and Grand Final outings were first class which has now proven he is capable of rising on the big occasions.

16) Sean O’Neil (Colac Imperials)

Sean had a super first half of the season last year, but seemed to fall a bit in form, despite that he is a very handy player and a big key to the Imps being successful this season, he can play in multiple roles but seems to play the (Quarter back) role very well down at half back.

17) Ben Boseley (Birregurra)

When on the park last year, Ben showed what is capable of he is the coach of the impressive Saints and leads by example, a good size midfielder who can take a good grab and uses the ball well.

18) David Marendaz (South Colac)

It was the first time in a handful of years that Dave didn't finish in the top three in South's best and fairest despite still having a consistent season, his run and carry is still first class, and his ability to cover a lot of ground makes him a big factor to the Roos chances this season.

19) Luke Norton (Lorne)

Maybe could i add Ryan Evans to this number as well? The premiership forward combo are back this season with the Dolphins.Luke won the leagues goal kicking award back in the Dolphins premiership year in 2013, but then crossed to BFL side Angelsea where he played 18 games and booted 18 goals. Luke’s first half of 2013 was outstanding booting a few big hauls against good clubs.

20) Dylan McCarthy (South Colac)

Dylan returns to the Roos after three season's with the Colac Tigers where he preformed quite well, he narrowly missed selection for the Tigers in their senior Grand Final side, but represented the club in the reserves Grand Final, he was a key member of South's Grand Final side back in 2011.

Apologies too, Troy Keating, Luke Burnett, Luke Weel, Clay Brewer, Adrian Murray, Russell Whiteford, Kyle Roberts, Justin Mooney, Danny Allan, Rob Elborough and every other CDFL Player....

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
LFC-2 04042015.jpg
LFC-3 04042015.jpg
LFC-2 04042015.jpg
Only caught the first half of the big match at Lorne today but it was sensational...a crowd of maybe 1000 people, a beautiful day with pre match entertainment by Mike Brady. A great showcase of country football all round. At half time it looked that Birregurra were going to get on top. Their delivery into the forward line was more precise than Lorne's who, in Tommy Hafey's parlance were 'doin' too much finessin'! Lorne were trying to flip it around to find an opening while the Saints were far more direct. Cant say what happened in the second half to give the points to the Dolphins but I'm sure both teams will be a test for any of their opponents and like Ive posted before, Lorne will win more games than they lose this season. A great day all round- top quality footy! There's some shots of the crowd watching Mike Brady before the game attached....

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Big first round. Simpson and Lorne looks to be the game of the round. My predictions - South to make a big statement first up against Forrest and Simpson to beat Lorne by 6 goals

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
View attachment 121397 View attachment 121398 View attachment 121397 Only caught the first half of the big match at Lorne today but it was sensational...a crowd of maybe 1000 people, a beautiful day with pre match entertainment by Mike Brady. A great showcase of country football all round. At half time it looked that Birregurra were going to get on top. Their delivery into the forward line was more precise than Lorne's who, in Tommy Hafey's parlance were 'doin' too much finessin'! Lorne were trying to flip it around to find an opening while the Saints were far more direct. Cant say what happened in the second half to give the points to the Dolphins but I'm sure both teams will be a test for any of their opponents and like Ive posted before, Lorne will win more games than they lose this season. A great day all round- top quality footy! There's some shots of the crowd watching Mike Brady before the game attached....
Did you watch Lorne and Simpson on the weekend Roger?

david bain

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure if he's been cleared yet...and not sure if he will be.

Roger are Lorne looking for a new senior coach? I noticed the ad and it looks like all position's are open but I didn't know is that part of the constitution, because next to the senior job it said playing coach preferred. Does the current coach need to re apply?

olly21

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2010
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Roger are Lorne looking for a new senior coach? I noticed the ad and it looks like all position's are open but I didn't know is that part of the constitution, because next to the senior job it said playing coach preferred. Does the current coach need to re apply?

I had heard at the start of the year before a training session was taken that Langdon was a polarising figure

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond

It used to be so, that the position had to be advertised...merely as protocol, but the 'playing coach' tag is probably what they need to do. Another robust mid fielder/forward would be a great help. Its been a tough year in some ways. Severe long term injuries to some of the playing group hurt them after the great start to the season...then a handful of other players went o/s. There was ongoing disappointment with the new playing surface....problems with soil types and drainage left the ground sloppy at times, and the terribly unfortunate incident at Gellibrand took the wind out of the sails of quite a few players. Such a terrible disaster had consequences that affected people all across the region. All in all, it was a better result than 2014 and any new coach would have to be confident of more improvement next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
I had heard at the start of the year before a training session was taken that Langdon was a polarising figure

There was a lot of bad blood the season before but the new committee was quick to sort that out and patched it up quickly. There's always people at footy clubs who think they are more important than the club, and you never hear much from them when things are going well...when a few problems come along its those who fall at the first hurdle that make the most noise.

david bain

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There was a lot of bad blood the season before but the new committee was quick to sort that out and patched it up quickly. There's always people at footy clubs who think they are more important than the club, and you never hear much from them when things are going well...when a few problems come along its those who fall at the first hurdle that make the most noise.

Is this post directed at Langdon? I seen in yesterday's addy he took a swipe at lorne as he thinks he signed a 2 year deal. Does this mean all the players that jumped off lorne after winning a flag then went back this year are going to leave again?

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
My comments about the first hurdle weren't directed at Jason Langdon in any way. The news you've posted surprises me...I'll check it out. The reasons for the players jumping off the club is best known by someone a lot closer to the club than I am now, but I'm under the impression that there as a failure at admin level that caused most of the problems.

david bain

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My comments about the first hurdle weren't directed at Jason Langdon in any way. The news you've posted surprises me...I'll check it out. The reasons for the players jumping off the club is best known by someone a lot closer to the club than I am now, but I'm under the impression that there as a failure at admin level that caused most of the problems.

It was in yesterday's addy. Langdon was surprised as the club moved up the ladder this year.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
With news that Geelong Football accepting the new points system for 2015 what does this mean for CDFL sides? Is it even warranted?

It will be interesting to see what the outcomes are from it all however I can foresee some very nervy times ahead for Forrest considering they no longer have a junior program.

the_voice

Senior List
Jan 12, 2009
Whittington
AFL Club
Richmond
I have heard from several people that Alex Hann has signed back on with Apollo Bay and will also coach them in 2016!!!

Anyone want to confirm this? Big Blow to Belmont if this is true.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
A major coup pulled off by the Swans with them signing Dan Casey as coach for 2016.
A very wise move IMO especially if he attracts a few young Colac Tigers with an already exciting young list.
Watch out for them next year is my guess.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Forrest to fold?

Any truth?

If they are only allocated 35 points from the player points system it could make things hard. Just my 2c but that is a really low number in comparison to other minor leagues that have 40 odd.

Congratulations to Irrewarra-Beeac on making the big dance, they were the better side on the day.
I thought Cartright did an exception job on Cox, although he ended up with 4 goals he was his shadow all day and won over half the one on one battles.
I thought Miller was also really good when he exposed South deep one on one and they kicked long and direct over the press.

If they can bring the same physicality next week it should be an entertaining contest.

olly21

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2010
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Forrest to fold?

Any truth?

Bloody hope not, hate to see clubs die. That would be horrendous and the cdfl should not let this happen aslong as they are financial. Spoke to Al hahn him self, he is not leaving belmont. Shaun O'Neil to coach imps is wat I heard

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Hopefully Forrest can go around again. Some good people at that club. Casey should be good for the swans. Irrewarra great job making big dance. Simpson looking to become premiers and champions. Anyone heard any off season movement rumours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back