2015 News

Remove this Banner Ad

Leo the Lion

Debutant
Mar 31, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
BELMONT LIONS IN THE GDFL ARE LOOKING FOR A SENIOR COACH PLAYING OR NON PLAYING FOR 2016,WILL BE IN GEELONG ADVERTISER 10/10

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Lorne's new coach Steven(?) Stavenuiter comes with big wraps but is untried. Apparently a monster sized ruckman/forward. Other players are set to return after being away through last season which should lessen the impact of losing Barham to Byron Bay. What the other goss out there?

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
stribling reserve has a new surface...much gnashing of teeth last year after the new drainage didn't come up to scratch...so the old surface has come off, new grass cover sewn last week and lots of other magic done on the soil...maybe this time.

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
stribling reserve has a new surface...much gnashing of teeth last year after the new drainage didn't come up to scratch...so the old surface has come off, new grass cover sewn last week and lots of other magic done on the soil...maybe this time.
Any word on players the new coach might be bringing in?

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Some who missed this season, like Che Turner, will be back and will be handy, some who were considering retiring have decided to stay. There apparently are others from Geelong and Ocean Grove who are transferring in but I haven't heard who they might be. There's a chance that some of the kids who have been with the Falcons will play more games here next year, but at this stage no-one major. Its early days yet but I think Stavenuiter will be a key player.

Love_Grove

Debutant
Sep 27, 2012
Tasmania
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some who missed this season, like Che Turner, will be back and will be handy, some who were considering retiring have decided to stay. There apparently are others from Geelong and Ocean Grove who are transferring in but I haven't heard who they might be. There's a chance that some of the kids who have been with the Falcons will play more games here next year, but at this stage no-one major. Its early days yet but I think Stavenuiter will be a key player.

So what is the standard of this competition like RogerDean? A mate in Tasmania has got a job in the Simpson/Cobden area and looking for info as to the strength of the local comp cheers...

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
So what is the standard of this competition like RogerDean? A mate in Tasmania has got a job in the Simpson/Cobden area and looking for info as to the strength of the local comp cheers...

Its a minor league that takes in the area from west of Colac to the coast and over to Lorne. The top teams would be competitive in the major country leagues but would only be mid placed. The bottom placed teams have their share of stars too but very little depth- actually the depth factor is a problem for most teams no matter where they are on the ladder. The Colac area teams have a larger talent pool to pick from, but the outlying clubs struggle unless they can buy in players from Geelong or Warrnambool. The coastal teams...Lorne and Apollo Bay, are always competitive because its easier for them to attract players (tourist towns) and they very rarely bottom out. The teams that make the finals can all play a high standard of country footy... well skilled and fast...and tough. Grounds are generally okay around the Colac clubs, but outlying grounds can be rough and uneven. The out and out thuggery which plagues some leagues is rare in this part of the state but there's still some fierce clashes.

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
What news has everybody heard? From what i have heard.

Alvie - Going hard chasing Andrew Kelly to return. Also some players from Camperdown where Casey coached previously
Apollo Bay - Said to have recruited very strongly including reece walsh who has good resume. could be big improvers
Birregurra - The return of Jimmy Rowan will be big boost. Hoping to regain Christian kelly
Imps - Have not heard anything much here
Forrest - Who knows?
Irrewarra - On the cusp of announcing a major name. watch this space.
Lorne - RogerDean ?
Otway - 2 guns from GDFL. The return of Stewy & Tom Sutherland. Should improve
Simpson - Have lost a few but should be the team to beat again
South - Return of former captain jake Odwyer sure to bolster an already impressive line up.
Eagles - Could be a few new faces from Winchelsea

surprisepackage

Debutant
Sep 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What news has everybody heard? From what i have heard.

Alvie - Going hard chasing Andrew Kelly to return. Also some players from Camperdown where Casey coached previously
Apollo Bay - Said to have recruited very strongly including reece walsh who has good resume. could be big improvers
Birregurra - The return of Jimmy Rowan will be big boost. Hoping to regain Christian kelly
Imps - Have not heard anything much here
Forrest - Who knows?
Irrewarra - On the cusp of announcing a major name. watch this space.
Lorne - RogerDean ?
Otway - 2 guns from GDFL. The return of Stewy & Tom Sutherland. Should improve
Simpson - Have lost a few but should be the team to beat again
South - Return of former captain jake Odwyer sure to bolster an already impressive line up.
Eagles - Could be a few new faces from Winchelsea
Which players have left Simpson only heard Jono jennings most likely won't be there.

the_voice

Senior List
Jan 12, 2009
Whittington
AFL Club
Richmond
I see Apollo Bay have picked up Reece Walsh from Fitzroy Stars!!

He signed at Belmont last year I am told and wouldn't train as he started on the bench in a Intra club match and then left the club because he thought he was too good for the GDFL...

This kid will not make it through the preseason and if he does you are in for a journey as he has apparently done everything but in fact has not actually done anything.

Who has Forrest picked up? Im hearing they have lost a few over to Rokewood?

Are the western eagles a chance to improve on this year? Might pick up a few from Winch but they were also non competitive this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Lorne's new coach has picked up a few players...heavy traffic on ballers from Geelong- club B/F's, but have had to knock back a few because of the salary cap points. Have heard the Bay have had similar concerns?

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Lorne's new coach has picked up a few players...heavy traffic on ballers from Geelong- club B/F's, but have had to knock back a few because of the salary cap points. Have heard the Bay have had similar concerns?

I've said it before RogerDean but I still feel 35 salary cap is overkill in its first season.
40 points would've been suffice and kept a happy medium where clubs can recruit and still play the locals.
Just my thoughts on it.

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
[I've said it before RogerDean but I still feel 35 salary cap is overkill in its first season.
40 points would've been suffice and kept a happy medium where clubs can recruit and still play the locals.
Just my thoughts on it.[/QUOTE]

Yes you're right. Lorne's has always had players walk up wanting to play...surfers down on the weekends...guys who have played in higher leagues who aren't looking for money. Often they haven't played for a while or are tired of the grind of suburban footy. There's apparently two very good recruits interested in playing here atm...probably get picked in any side in the league, but have had to be turned down, or as one person connected with the club said...they'll have an absolute killer of a reserves team...with tongue planted firmly in cheek.
Still, it is what it is and you have to make start somewhere As much as I want Lorne to win whenever they run out to play; we're only one club, and its the survival of the whole league that's more important.

mattyman01

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lo
I see Apollo Bay have picked up Reece Walsh from Fitzroy Stars!!

He signed at Belmont last year I am told and wouldn't train as he started on the bench in a Intra club match and then left the club because he thought he was too good for the GDFL...

This kid will not make it through the preseason and if he does you are in for a journey as he has apparently done everything but in fact has not actually done anything.

Who has Forrest picked up? Im hearing they have lost a few over to Rokewood?

Are the western eagles a chance to improve on this year? Might pick up a few from Winch but they were also non competitive this season.
lol absolute tripe

david bain

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its a minor league that takes in the area from west of Colac to the coast and over to Lorne. The top teams would be competitive in the major country leagues but would only be mid placed. The bottom placed teams have their share of stars too but very little depth- actually the depth factor is a problem for most teams no matter where they are on the ladder. The Colac area teams have a larger talent pool to pick from, but the outlying clubs struggle unless they can buy in players from Geelong or Warrnambool. The coastal teams...Lorne and Apollo Bay, are always competitive because its easier for them to attract players (tourist towns) and they very rarely bottom out. The teams that make the finals can all play a high standard of country footy... well skilled and fast...and tough. Grounds are generally okay around the Colac clubs, but outlying grounds can be rough and uneven. The out and out thuggery which plagues some leagues is rare in this part of the state but there's still some fierce clashes.

I noticed on the Krock website that Dan Roy is going to lorne. What a huge pick up he is a gun.

mattyman01

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is actually Fact mattyman01 and you should know as I suspect you could possibly be the one and only Reece Walsh....
Lol fact, the real fact is he was going around big noating himself about how much other clubs were offering him, the club told him to pull his head in and he cracked the shits and left, that's the fact you morone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back