Dustin Keller

2007 (1):
Greg Olsen*

2006 (2):
Vernon Davis*
Mercedes Lewis*

2005 (1):
Heath Miller*

5 Pro-Bowlers (6 with Rudolph). But it's a pretty underwhelming list.

Cowboys philosophy has been to build through the draft and the prisons.

EaglesFalk10blog.jpg

Can you multi them? If so I'm gonna get in on that...Overs TE, Unders WR, Overs RB.

I doubt you could multi these anyway, since they are conditional related bets, in the same way you couldnt multi something like West Coast to make the top 8 and Adelaide not to etc because one bet is influencing the other.

I apologise, but I'm not really understanding what you're saying here.

He hasn't done anything stupid recently, and has built the o-line, so this precludes him from drafting a TE in the first round?

Taking a TE would be a massive disaster for us. Generally speaking, we have gotten better at not making massive disasters on draft day.

Sure TE is a "need" in the sense we could find a roster spot for one, but the needs at almost every defensive position are far greater and more important to fix. There is zero chance we take a TE first round. It would be like saying we need a returner now that Harris has joined NYG, but there is no chance of taking a returner in the first either.

Eifert can play.

Rudolph likewise when he isn't injured. Could be in for a massive year

Potentially.

Is not a word that should be used when the answer requires discussion of facts.

As it stands right now, only Davis has justified the rd1 Pick, and even then I wouldn't say pick 6 was justified on a TE.

Potentially.

Is not a word that should be used when the answer requires discussion of facts.

As it stands right now, only Davis has justified the rd1 Pick, and even then I wouldn't say pick 6 was justified on a TE.
TE is widely considered one of if not THE hardest postion to transition from College to Pros.

I would just hold off on calling it folly to draft TE's in the first round for a while because the ones taken in the last 3 years have a real chance to be great. SO they certainly shouldn't deter teams from taking TE's early

Taking a TE would be a massive disaster for us. Generally speaking, we have gotten better at not making massive disasters on draft day.

Sure TE is a "need" in the sense we could find a roster spot for one, but the needs at almost every defensive position are far greater and more important to fix. There is zero chance we take a TE first round. It would be like saying we need a returner now that Harris has joined NYG, but there is no chance of taking a returner in the first either.

Excellent, I appreciate the response. More of it please.

As for the point, agree wholeheartedly except for the zero chance part.

Small chance, 20% or thereabouts. Got some good value corners and linebackers on day 2, so I still think there's a small chance

Tuesday morning one-liners
Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3zmi5yti3mmjlyta4n2qxngqxmtq3zte2zddkmzbl-e1430222593631.jpeg
Getty Images
A negative review of the Bills’ decision to trade their 2015 first-round pick to move up for WR Sammy Watkins.

The Dolphins want to evaluate draft prospects in a variety of settings.

The interior of the offensive line is an area the Patriots could address in the draft.

The Jets open a voluntary minicamp on Tuesday.

Cornerbacks have caught the eye of the Ravens leading up to the draft.

Bengals LB A.J. Hawk is opting for the Kentucky Derby over paying attention to the NFL draft this weekend.

The Browns’ meetings with draft prospects are going down to the wire.

A call for the Steelers to go after cornerbacks in the draft.

Texans DE J.J. Watt tried to help one of his fans get excused from work to attend a charity event he’s hosting.

The Colts may make a trade during the draft.

Jaguars G.M. Dave Caldwell could use a string of good picks this year.

Looking back at some of the biggest hits and misses in Titans draft history.

The return of CB Tony Carter bolsters the Broncos’ depth in the secondary.

What does Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt look for in a long snapper?

The Raiders will have a chance to add to their defensive front with the fourth pick.

A Chargers move would add to San Diego’s sad sports history.

Nebraska DE/LB Randy Gregory could be a fit for the Cowboys.

The Giants cleared some room on the running back depth chart.

The Eagles may not find the safety help they want in the draft.

Redskins G.M. Scot McCloughan wouldn’t mind a few more draft picks.

Five things to watch during the Bears’ minicamp this week.

S Glover Quin thinks some younger Lions defensive backs are in line for strong seasons.

Which cornerbacks might interest the Packers in the first round?

Vikings CB Captain Munnerlyn is working to improve before his second year in Minnesota.

A review of Falcons G.M. Thomas Dimitroff’s draft day trades.

The Panthers have generally done a good job with their first-round picks.

Will Shane Ray’s arrest change the Saints’ draft plans?

Assessing the Buccaneers’ need for wide receiver or tight end help.

Is a running back in the cards when the Cardinals pick in the first round?

A spin through Rams mock drafts.

Former 49ers pass rusher Charles Haley likes what he’s seen from current 49ers pass rusher Aldon Smith.

There are plenty of wide receivers for the Seahawks to consider in the draft.

Excellent, I appreciate the response. More of it please.

As for the point, agree wholeheartedly except for the zero chance part.

Small chance, 20% or thereabouts. Got some good value corners and linebackers on day 2, so I still think there's a small chance

Fair points, but probably still a tad high percentage overall. 20% is quite a high number I think

Romo is reaching the end of his career, lets say he has three decent years left. In that case, I would much rather ride the coat-tails of Witten (ignore his fantasy numbers, he was fine last year in blocking) and get an impact defender now, either a pass rusher or help in the secondary. If we were to go offense (and I hope we don't) its probably only to get either of Gurley or Gordon, and only if either both fall to us, which I think is unlikely since Arizona, Detroit and Carolina can easily go RB in their slots, and teams can obviously trade with the likes of Pittsburgh (who are safe with Bell for a 3 down back) if they want to get an RB.

This was the grantland take on Dallas (great American sports website)

Dallas Cowboys

Biggest Need: Defensive line
Other Needs: CB, S, RB

As tempting as it might be for the Cowboys to replace DeMarco Murray with one of the draft’s top running backs, one of the benefits of spending three first-round picks on offensive linemen was supposed to be that the Cowboys could plug any ol’ running back into their backfield and succeed. Dallas should draft a running back to compete with Darren McFadden & Co., but it would be healthier to wait for somebody like Indiana’s Tevin Coleman or Miami’s Duke Johnson in the second or third round.

Instead, the Cowboys should try to give Rod Marinelli something to work with up front. While Marinelli was able to get competency out of retreads like Jeremy Mincey and George Selvie last year, the Dallas defensive line desperately needs an infusion of young talent. 2014 second-rounder Demarcus Lawrence will be back after missing most of his rookie season with a broken foot, but the Cowboys could sorely use an interior pass-rusher to prevent opposing quarterbacks from stepping up in the pocket, especially with Henry Melton having left for Tampa Bay in free agency. If they do go after a running back or a defensive back in Round 1, Ohio State’s Mike Bennett would be a very viable option at 60.

Project TE on Day 3? Sure, I can believe that. But first rounders are really valuable (Unless you are Jim Irsay and want to flip one for Trent Richardson, or Cleveland and want to use one on Trent Richardson) so I would hate to waste it on what is a pretty luxury position.

If I had to guess percentages

50% DL
25% corner
20% S
5% misc (RB, TE, Leo/LB)

My own personal perfect draft would be something like

DL
CB
S
RB
TE
BPA
BPA

But that all depends on what happens around us. Most important thing is to have at least one DL and one secondary player by the end of Round 3/Day 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFL suspended Dolphins DE Dion Jordan for the 2015 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Jordan provided a diluted sample last season. He will not appeal the suspension, his third after bans cost him six games in 2014. Already on the cusp of mega-bust status, Jordan is officially there. The No. 3 pick of the 2013 draft, Jordan has just three sacks across 26 career games as he's struggled to find a position. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Jordan was on the verge of being acquired by the Eagles — and college coach Chip Kelly — before earning his 2015 ban. Jordan may have just killed his best chance at becoming an effective NFLer. Jordan is still only 25, but his career will be on its last legs when he returns in 2016.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The Jets have been fined $100,000 for tampering with Darrelle Revis.

No draft picks will be taken away, so this amounts to a slap on the wrist. Owner Woody Johnson will write a check for making comments about Revis while the corner was under contract with the Patriots. He won't mind after landing the All-Pro on a five-year, $70 million deal as free agency opened.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Just read that Bruce Irvin might be on the move
Yeah Seattle declined to pick up his 5th year option, understandable with the Wilson contract coming up.

Just read that Bruce Irvin might be on the move

Really? All I've heard is we aren't picking up his 5th year option which doesn't surprise me with Russell and Wagner still needing to be paid.

Really? All I've heard is we aren't picking up his 5th year option which doesn't surprise me with Russell and Wagner still needing to be paid.
Atlanta interested apparently.

Interesting if true. If we do let him go then we had better get something good for him.
You never get what you would like in these situations.

One year left on the rookie contract = minimal compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back