2015 Poker Goals

Remove this Banner Ad

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Goal threads are always popular this time of year, so heres a good point to bookmark some things you'd like to achieve in 2015 in poker and outside of it

While I'm not a big goal setter, I like being able to look back at certain points in time and see how I've advanced, so I'll set some tentative goals and see how I go

Have my biggest volume year online - I'm not a big online grinder, I really only fire up for random Sundays. I'd like to play more midweek and force myself to play more Australian nightly schedules instead of ignoring them because theyre pretty shitty
Have an online $10k+ score - Money goals are stupid because its one of the only things you cant control in this game. You can control your output and your effort, but the $ returned is out of your control, but I'll put it here as a reminder that if I have a good year, what my actual expectiations were at the start
Play the Super Tuesday and Sunday 500- I've never played these tournaments, but its about time I got involved I think
Be sensible with live buyins - The last two years since I had my scores I've been very reckless with live MTT buyins, playing four 10ks and lots of $1k and $2ks, which I shouldnt have done. I heard a really good Aussie online player say the other day that he wouldnt play any Aussie millions live events if he was on his own dime because of the variance. That stuck with me, hes got a lot more money than me and is a lot better, so if hes saying theyre not worth playing then its worth considering. In saying that, I'll still be playing lots of high value events, just not as many as the last couple of years.
Talk more HH- Pretty simple this one, studying is important and I dont do enough of it

Outside of poker I'd like to continue to get fitter, the last 6 months I've lost 7-8kgs and feel great. I'd also like to have an official golf handicap, I'm not sure whats achievable but I should be breaking 100 on my next round, so I guess something around 20 is within my grasp. I'd also like to build my own computer, Ive been doing some asking around in the PC forum and getting advice, so this is a simple one that I'd like to do.

And I guess the most important one is, end the year with more money than I started

GL All

For me, i'd like to continue to develop my bank roll to something decent enough for my low level grinding. I haven't made a deposit in 4 months now due to my improvements at the smaller stakes and playing more within my limits. I'd like for this to continue

I still make some silly mistakes and i'd like to make less and less. being able to look back at my HH and see less "dumb" moves is something i can try to do

I have approached a guy called John Dayton (an online low limit crusher) and he's offering coaching lessons for $35 an hour. I had 1 initial response, but he didn't reply to my follow up email about his coaching structure and the such. But i'd like to get a small amount of coaching this year to plug a few holes in my game

I want to FT a hot $3.30 or $4.40 this year

If i get a big score (1.5K plus) i will play a Sunday Million. Because YOLO (sort of against my above goal of playing within limits, but the experience would be fun and i'd single table that morning as opposed to my normal 2-3 tabling for concentration)

I want to play more cash games (low limit)

I want to cash in a live tourney at Burswood

Outside of Poker, i'm looking at starting my own business. I'm in a very good spot in my job right now, but i know i could run the pants off a business and make some serious cash for me and my family and not someone else's pocket

Health wise:

I was at 123kgs last year and am now down to 105kg :) Would love to go under 100kgs this year

And i want to have a safe and fun trip when i take my kids to HK Disneyland on the 12th of Jan and then to Penang for a few days after that

Not the thread for it but just on the Sunday Million, it's an interesting tournament. I've played it a lot, cashed a few times but you need everything to go right to go deep (obviously). I always single table it but find I lose focus as it's such a long event and you go through spells with nothing and you loosen up which always gets me caught out.

It's not really that much of an experience once you've played it a few times. Yeah it's a big buy in but majority would be gaining entry through the satellites with under $5 buy ins and really it's full of average players

2015 Goals

Cash In Aussie Millions - I have already got a seat to AM have been putting in a lot of work into my game first step cashing -> Winning.

200 MTT's /Month - Looking to play around 200 MTT's a month which I know isn't a lot but I do work FT.

Review HH Every Sunday - Put at least 1 Hour with coach/friend reviewing weeks HH

5 Figure online score - Self explanatory

Watch 2 Videos a week - Self explanatory

I think this is about it, don't know what else I would just like to continue improving and make atleast 10-20k this year online and preferably more live. Feel like 2015 will be my YEAR!

Not the thread for it but just on the Sunday Million, it's an interesting tournament. I've played it a lot, cashed a few times but you need everything to go right to go deep (obviously). I always single table it but find I lose focus as it's such a long event and you go through spells with nothing and you loosen up which always gets me caught out.

It's not really that much of an experience once you've played it a few times. Yeah it's a big buy in but majority would be gaining entry through the satellites with under $5 buy ins and really it's full of average players
Glenno23

I had never played the millions until last year and I can safely say there isn't anything to be daunted by it. Most of the players are just like you!

I've cashed a few times without anything special really happening. You just need to play disciplined poker just like any other tournament.

It's very rare to see 4 betting pre flop, so the standard is well below some of the late night Euro time $55 buy ins.

Just put up $215 on Australia Day and see your AA get cracked by 73o

I'd love to say that my goal is to put more volume in but with a young family, it's just not going to happen, so my goal is to play in a few live ~$1k events at Crown this year.

Also I'd like to learn a f(*(87 king short game because 110 at Albert Park is embarrassing.

Glenno23

I had never played the millions until last year and I can safely say there isn't anything to be daunted by it. Most of the players are just like you!

I've cashed a few times without anything special really happening. You just need to play disciplined poker just like any other tournament.

It's very rare to see 4 betting pre flop, so the standard is well below some of the late night Euro time $55 buy ins.

Just put up $215 on Australia Day and see your AA get cracked by 73o

Was playing in it today, just got busted but was doing quite well, had around 18k 2 hours in and got QQ. Up against JA with the J hitting the flop, perfect for me. I managed to get him all in on the turn for the A to hit the river :( went down to about 4k and couldn't save myself! So frustrating

Was playing in it today, just got busted but was doing quite well, had around 18k 2 hours in and got QQ. Up against JA with the J hitting the flop, perfect for me. I managed to get him all in on the turn for the A to hit the river :( went down to about 4k and couldn't save myself! So frustrating
you definitely need some luck in fading flush draws and the like to go deep.

it's always the A....

my first goal is to build a bankroll
second is to play within that bankroll :p

possibly purchase Hold Em manager 2 as well

I would get a bank roll before investing $100 into tracking software it also depends at what stakes you are playing huds are more useful as you increase in stakes.

I would get a bank roll before investing $100 into tracking software it also depends at what stakes you are playing huds are more useful as you increase in stakes.
that was my intentions
I would most likely start at 25c/50c

how many buy ins do you believe that I should have for playing multi-table cash games minimum?
I was going to play with 25-30 buy ins

also a goal is, no more zoom :p

that was my intentions
I would most likely start at 25c/50c

how many buy ins do you believe that I should have for playing multi-table cash games minimum?
I was going to play with 25-30 buy ins

also a goal is, no more zoom :p
woooh, hold on there mister....

i'd be starting out 100 buy ins minimum, so for example bank roll of $100, you should be only buy in $1 which i think would be around the 0.01c/0.02c

if you multi table, then times it out. so 3 tables, $1 each = $300

i'd be starting out 100 buy ins minimum, so for example bank roll of $100, you should be only buy in $1 which i think would be around the 0.01c/0.02c

+1 I'd probably start abit lower then 10/25c aswell probably don't have to start at 1/2c but maybe 5/10c make sure you can beat the game consitatntly before moving up. As Baz said aswell you would like to have minimum 100bi per table you play.

Do you have any online history or are you going in blind?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are two types of BRs, one where you have no other income stream and are playing for a living and one where you have another income stream and play in spare time

You can afford to be more aggressive if you have another income stream because you can obviously replenish your BR if you fail. Though it's still important to have some BR management to ensure you're applying yourself at that level and earning the money/skill to move up. Something around 25-50 is more reasonable here depending on how well you're doing off the felt I guess

If you're playing full time then obviously you need to be much stricter, so something like 100 buyins is more responsible, but you also need to be playing at a level where the money means something and you don't get eaten alive by rake

Alright, cheers
Do you have any online history or are you going in blind?
I have played on Titan, Full Tilt, Party Poker & Pokerstars
I usually only play cash games & will likely do as you suggested to start from 5c/10c
I currently don't have the time to play f/t but before mid year I should have more time to play for about 4-6 hours

Alright, cheers

I have played on Titan, Full Tilt, Party Poker & Pokerstars
I usually only play cash games & will likely do as you suggested to start from 5c/10c
I currently don't have the time to play f/t but before mid year I should have more time to play for about 4-6 hours

4-6 hours p/day?

1c/2c has either $2 or $5 max buy-in on stars

<----- high roller

I have a bunch but the tournament I have the biggest personal vendetta against is the big 55, I think I've had two 3rds and a 4th in it and punted great positions in it a bunch of times super deep, it's something I really need to win.

The 90k GTD? I played it this morning. * me I was annoyed. I was dominating it but one guy kept get lucky against me. I had a good read on a couple of players and they thought they had a read on me, they said so in chat, next hand I knocked one out ;)

Anyway, same villain busted my QQ with A7 and then my JJ with 88 when he rivered a straight

I have a bunch but the tournament I have the biggest personal vendetta against is the big 55, I think I've had two 3rds and a 4th in it and punted great positions in it a bunch of times super deep, it's something I really need to win.

Mine's the big 33 I hate that tournament with a passion its the softest big yet I cant seem to do welln finished 4th once all my friends have won it and give me stick about it!

The 90k GTD? I played it this morning. **** me I was annoyed. I was dominating it but one guy kept get lucky against me. I had a good read on a couple of players and they thought they had a read on me, they said so in chat, next hand I knocked one out ;)

Anyway, same villain busted my QQ with A7 and then my JJ with 88 when he rivered a straight
Yup, that one.
Mine's the big 33 I hate that tournament with a passion its the softest big yet I cant seem to do welln finished 4th once all my friends have won it and give me stick about it!
Yeh it's def annoying with those bigs since they have great structures and being soft you feel if you have a decent stack with 50ish left you can really push on and get a win. But then again it's lol mtts.

Sadly poker will have to take a back seat for me, at least in the first half of the year. Doing a 12-week, full-time web dev course come March, after which hopefully I'll get back into the workforce. Changing career path after retrenchment is a b!tch. :(

When I do manage to get back to the tables, I'd like to start getting results that come from skill, and not predominantly luck. For that I'll need to be studying my play more, and be more focused when I do play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back