Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suckling has an excellent kick...... when he hits it right. When he doesn't he probably has the worst kick in the competition.

A better question would be who is an average kick in the Team, and can they improve?
Daniel Pearce needs more consistency in his kicking, Johnson and Duffield could probably do with this too - still the occasional grubber comes off.
I'd say Mzungu, McPharlin, Silvagni, Ibbotson, Mayne, Barlow, Fyfe, Sheridan, Neale and Spurr fall into the average category.

Good session this morning although some of the kicking was a bit off during the sims. Mzungu,Clarke, Ballantyne & Suban did a fitness test and apparently passed with flying colours and all then joined in the main session. Only absentees apparently were Sylvia, Morabito & Dawson. Silvagni was running steady laps. Pearce A & Langdon also doing laps but at a faster pace, so we should have a pretty good squad to pick from for the weekend.
Mayne & Ballantyne were finishing off the session with set shots on goal - about 40m out from both sides of the goal. Lots of goal kicking practice by everyone (creating various situations) but generally not very good. A fair bit of time spent on match sims with RTB stopping play frequently to emphasise positioning by various players. Overall there was a really strong emphasis on positioning and ball movement (ie don't turn inwards from a defensive position). There were a few sloppy kicks but also some exquisite movements (Suban especially) basically from end to end.

One thing that I did notice that Ross is very keen (just about adamant) for someone to be coming in behind a leading or marking forward.

It was great to see Taberner and Walters both cpmpleting the main session.

Five TV cameras down there for the start of training but apparently they are only allowed to film/observe the first 30 mins then must leave the ground - Club instructions I believe.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone notice this quote

Michael Walters, Chris Mayne, Matthew Pavlich, Zac Clarke and Ballantyne worked very closely together as a forward group and Mayne used the end of the session to work on his goal kicking routine.

I think Tabs may not play due to lack of match practice as surely he would be in this group right ?
Unless he was leading up the ground and the others were working close to goal. IIRC Ross did say Tabs would have to have a run (wafl) so that may be the case. The interesting thing is that it didn't mention Hannath as a forward either, so if Tabs doesn't play we have the unfortunate situation of Clarke being our second tall forward again, when he is not in the ruck.

Anyone notice this quote

Michael Walters, Chris Mayne, Matthew Pavlich, Zac Clarke and Ballantyne worked very closely together as a forward group and Mayne used the end of the session to work on his goal kicking routine.

I think Tabs may not play due to lack of match practice as surely he would be in this group right ?

I can't tell if I'm being trolled or if you really are the biggest wimp in world history.

Just got back from training myself and was pleasantly surprised to see most of our squad training today. Even Sean Hurley was out training, and rumour has it that he will play his first game for Peel reserves on Saturday.

I won't cover what has already been posted, but Ballantyne, Duffield, Crozier, Suban, Mzungu, Barlow, Pearce and Taberner all did the full session without any problems.

Connor Blakely and Lachie Weller trained with the main squad, however Blakely was continually taken out of the match sims and did light kicking and running instead. He was moving well so I think that he was just being managed. Connor is my tip for the sub on Sunday.

The WAFL boys trained separately under Marc Webb and included all of the usual suspects, plus a now clean shaven Michael Apeness.

Alex Silvagni just ran laps and looks close to resuming full training to me, but what would I know?

Zac Dawson was spotted in the gym and didn't make an appearance. We won't see Zac until round 5 I have been reliably informed.:(

No sign of Mora or Sylvia either, however Crowls started off with the WAFL boys but then joined in on the match sims and played in defence.

The match sims featured the main side in red training bibs, and the second side which wore yellow and included Matt De Boer.

It was all about end to end match sims and centre clearances today, plus multiple goal kicking practice. Sadly Sonny's radar was a bit off today, but the goal kicking did improve as the session went on. Ross was very vocal out there today and wasn't shy on telling anyone if they messed up.

David Mundy was superb, as was Luke McPharlin who once again matched up on Pav.

I also thought that Tommy T-Train Sheridan was outstanding today.

The named squad will definitely train again on Good Friday, however as Groundskeeper Pat was away today I am not sure if it is at Freo Oval or a closed session at Subi.

#ffcpreseason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back