NFL 2015 - Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently they are shopping michael too
Can see him getting interest.

There's some teams with real gaps at RB too. Cowboys, Jags, Browns, Texans with Foster injured...

Bizarre that Browns are on that list (and I don't disagree)
They've invested a fair bit
Yeah but its not like there is a standout.

Turbin confirmed, waived with injury designation. Estimated 5 weeks out.

Bills have cut Enemkpali ....and more importantly FB John Conner....that's probably what saved the world in the end.

Some ordinary QBs possibly leaving the league..

Grossman
Lindley
Freeman
Yates

Last edited:
Yeah but its not like there is a standout.

Turbin confirmed, waived with injury designation. Estimated 5 weeks out.

Fred Jackson signing surely?

Fred Jackson signing surely?
Already happened. But I think Turbin would be on the outer without the ankle sprain.

Question is the third back. We will avoid trading Michael to the Cowboys if possible because we wouldn't want to seriously strengthen a NFC contender. I think the FO likes Rawls more though.

Already happened. But I think Turbin would be on the outer without the ankle sprain.

Question is the third back. We will avoid trading Michael to the Cowboys if possible because we wouldn't want to seriously strengthen a NFC contender. I think the FO likes Rawls more though.
Turbin waived injured, could be added to reserve-injured list if unclaimed, Michael to be traded to someone, Rawls makes 53 as 3rd RB in depth chart....is the word apparently.

Forgive me i just woke from night shift sleep. Just checked the NFL site now to see Jackson had signed. :oops:

I like Michael, think he has talent, i also prefer Jackson over Turbin.

So if it was coming down to Turbin vs Michael going forward i think they made the right call.

All 32 NFL clubs must be down to the required 53-man roster by this afternoon. While some borderline players will be happy if they don’t get a call from the “Turk”, they still can’t rest easy. There will be more roster changes over the next two weeks than at any other time of the NFL season. This time of the year rosters are very fluid.

Some clubs will make waiver acquisitions and if awarded a player they have to make room for him by cutting someone on the 53. Clubs will also sign some of the street free agents who cleared waivers either earlier this week or from the cuts made earlier in the week.

Clubs always play little games with veteran players this time of the year. If a vested veteran (someone with four or more accrued seasons) is on the active roster for the first game of the season, his salary is guaranteed for the season. That remains true even if he gets cut two or three weeks in to the season. To avoid having to pay a vested veteran a full year’s salary, clubs will often wait until after the first game has been completed before signing that type of player. That way the club is only paying the player on a week-to-week basis. For salary cap strapped clubs this can be a very beneficial way of doing business.

Practice Squads

Up until the 2014 season, clubs could only sign 8 players to their practice squad. Starting last year the size of the practice squad has been raised to a maximum of 10 players, with two of those players being players who have earned no more than two credited seasons towards free agency. Another rule change last year is that a player must be on a practice squad a total of six weeks in order to use one of his “eligible” years to be on the practice squad. The old rule was a player with three weeks on a practice squad used up one of his eligible years.

These changes are huge, in that they open the practice squad to many more players. Also, a club could have a situation where a young player who they were figuring on making the 53-man roster, missed a lot of practice time because of a minor injury. This could be a player who had made the club previously, as for example, a rookie. Because he missed so much practice time, he was not properly evaluated. That player can now be on the practice squad, where before he was wasn’t eligible. These rule changes give the clubs much more flexibility when it comes to finalizing the 53-man roster. In essence it really increases the roster size, without it affecting the 53.

A practice squad player makes a minimum salary of $6,600.00 per week, up from $6,300.00 in 2014. That figure is not etched in stone and can be negotiated. There are some practice squad players who make the rookie minimum salary. In 2015, the rookie minimum is $435,000 which means that if you pay a practice squad player the rookie minimum he is getting more than $25,000.00 per week. That is a heck of a salary for someone who only has to practice four days a week. Still, it gives him the opportunity to develop his skills and if the situation arises, get elevated to the 53-man roster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These changes are huge, in that they open the practice squad to many more players. Also, a club could have a situation where a young player who they were figuring on making the 53-man roster, missed a lot of practice time because of a minor injury. This could be a player who had made the club previously, as for example, a rookie. Because he missed so much practice time, he was not properly evaluated. That player can now be on the practice squad, where before he was wasn’t eligible. These rule changes give the clubs much more flexibility when it comes to finalizing the 53-man roster. In essence it really increases the roster size, without it affecting the 53.
I think this might apply to Jared Abbrederis from the Packers. Rookie year ruined through an ACL and missed most of the preseason with a concussion. He just hasn't had the opportunity to show his skills.

Bills have cut Enemkpali ....and more importantly FB John Conner....that's probably what saved the world in the end.

Some ordinary QBs possibly leaving the league..

Grossman
Lindley
Freeman
Yates
Don't know if you rate Kellen Moore or if he hung onto a roster spot.......

In before James Jones ends up in Green Bay.

Boykin has a better chance of returning. I think Jones didnt exit on the best terms with Ted. So Jones has been cut by 2 teams this year. We didnt look st Jennings in tge off season or Regie Wayne after Jordy went down.

Boykin has a better chance of returning. I think Jones didnt exit on the best terms with Ted. So Jones has been cut by 2 teams this year. We didnt look st Jennings in tge off season or Regie Wayne after Jordy went down.
From memory Jones left pretty well with the team. We offered him a contract and he got a better one from the Raiders. Plus he never said a bad word against the Pack. I also have a lot of respect for him when I think in his last season with us he played with broken ribs and a medial tear in one of his knees.

From memory Jones left pretty well with the team. We offered him a contract and he got a better one from the Raiders. Plus he never said a bad word against the Pack. I also have a lot of respect for him when I think in his last season with us he played with broken ribs and a medial tear in one of his knees.

I knoe he didnt go Greg Jennings but i thought Ted wasnt too happy that he left rather than go after another ring. I dont think we will bring in any WR unless we look vad week 1. But cant see us going after one in the next few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back