Senior List
Oct 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers
As requested by an earlier post......

Interesting times ahead for this division with some new sides and some uncertainty over a couple of others wanting to go up to QAFA A.

What's the latest rumours? Are Mayne and FG definitely in? Will Springfield be in after finally cleaning out the trouble makers at the top? (I'd love to know the full story behind that one)

Will UQ field 2 sides? Have Jimboomba finally given up on higher honours?

Have the Woodsmen finally sobered up or is their pre-season continuing at the pub?

Enjoy the season and let's try to play nice in here........ ;)

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
As requested by an earlier post......

Will Springfield be in after finally cleaning out the trouble makers at the top? (I'd love to know the full story behind that one)

..... ;)
Not sure anyone will know the full story, there are always three sides to any story!

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mayne and Ferny Grove will be suiting up in this division, and I reckon UQ will have 2 teams.

Wynnum and Viccy Point have conditional licenses for QAFA, same as Redbacks have had since jesus was a boy and they are still playing in this division - so who knows what will happen there.

Kedron could go from Prelim finalists in QFA North and their 3rds being cellar dwellars in this league, to fielding only one side - in this league!

Would be a very strong outfit if that happens I suspect.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rejected from going to QAFA A - as there are no grounds to do so. Would be more travel and still need 2 teams.

However, if they are struggling as much as some suggest, they may end up in QAFA B

King 05

Senior List
Oct 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Rejected from going to QAFA A - as there are no grounds to do so. Would be more travel and still need 2 teams.

However, if they are struggling as much as some suggest, they may end up in QAFA B

Are you still thinking that QAFA (B) might need to be split as you mentioned last year QAFL? There seems to be a fair few teams loitering around.

Of course that always changes by late Jan/early Feb, but still......

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Certainties:
1. Yeronga
2. Woodsmen
3. Kenmore
4. Jimboomba
5. Zillmere
6. Collingwood Park
7. UQ
8. Mayne
9. Ferny Grove

Likelies:
10. Springfield
11. Sandgate
12. UQ #2

Possibles:
13. Wynnum
14. Victoria Point
15. Kedron

I imagine if they get all of the certainties, likelies and possibles lining up in QAFA B, then they would have to split the comp in 2. They might do it by location, or they might try to grade it.

Location Based:

Comp 1: Yeronga, Woodsmen, Kenmore, UQ, Jimboomba, Springfield, Colly Park
Comp 2: UQ, Zillmere, Sandgate, Kedron, Wynnum, Vic Point, Ferny Grove, Mayne

Or if you graded it?

QAFA A Grade:

Woodsmen
Wynnum
Jimboomba
Sandgate
Mayne
Kedron
UQ 1
Vic Point

QAFA B Grade:

Zillmere
Yeronga
Ferny Grove
Colly Park
Kenmore
Springfield
UQ 2

The Con

Debutant
Dec 11, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Certainties:
1. Yeronga
2. Woodsmen
3. Kenmore
4. Jimboomba
5. Zillmere
6. Collingwood Park
7. UQ
8. Mayne
9. Ferny Grove

Likelies:
10. Springfield
11. Sandgate
12. UQ #2

Possibles:
13. Wynnum
14. Victoria Point
15. Kedron

I imagine if they get all of the certainties, likelies and possibles lining up in QAFA B, then they would have to split the comp in 2. They might do it by location, or they might try to grade it.

Location Based:

Comp 1: Yeronga, Woodsmen, Kenmore, UQ, Jimboomba, Springfield, Colly Park
Comp 2: UQ, Zillmere, Sandgate, Kedron, Wynnum, Vic Point, Ferny Grove, Mayne

Or if you graded it?

QAFA A Grade:

Woodsmen
Wynnum
Jimboomba
Sandgate
Mayne
Kedron
UQ 1
Vic Point

QAFA B Grade:

Zillmere
Yeronga
Ferny Grove
Colly Park
Kenmore
Springfield
UQ 2

Graded it? Would that mean grading games?

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
Graded it? Would that mean grading games?
Based on last years results and some input from the clubs? If this is seriously a Social Division as suggested by a few posters then clubs will be fairly honest in their expectations of their teams

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the issue oh this being a Social Division, I can honestly say that till I came here and read the forums I was unaware of this. Whilst all football has a social nature in it and that should be maintained, it was my impression from others that this was just a developing division with everyone still wanting to get better and move to higher divisions. I glad I have learnt otherwise will affect how I go about influencing people and the club I involved in

King 05

Senior List
Oct 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers
On the issue oh this being a Social Division, I can honestly say that till I came here and read the forums I was unaware of this. Whilst all football has a social nature in it and that should be maintained, it was my impression from others that this was just a developing division with everyone still wanting to get better and move to higher divisions. I glad I have learnt otherwise will affect how I go about influencing people and the club I involved in

There are a few teams who have no intention of wanting to move up a division as they are either truly a 3rd team (eg Yeronga, Kenmore, Sandgate, now Mayne), simply want to provide a place for blokes to play footy (Woodsmen) or have tried before and realise that's probably a few years away, if at all (eg Jimboomba, Coll Park, Springfield).

You're going to get all types in this division. And as for the social aspect referred to, yes all clubs have that social element to them (which is what makes them all tick), but in this division, it's perhaps a little more emphasised. The footy is taken just as seriously, but the training and post game might be a little more relaxed. Anyone who saw the Woodsmen's post match routine would attest to that. Moorooka's bar sales never looked so impressive!!

I like your suggestions QAFL, and either way you choose to split them, on paper anyway, would make two very competitive leagues.

Let's see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This division is both.

It's a league for startup clubs to find their feet before moving up, like Coomera as an example.

Or its a Division to fall back to when a club falls on tougher times and can only field one side, like Wynnum, Pine Rivers and possibly Kedron.

Then it's also a '3rds' league, where strong clubs who want to look after the blokes not getting a game in their reserves provide an avenue to play footy.

The Woodsmen appear to be a bit different form all of the above, but they are nominally the Magpies 3rds, just with a few anomalies.

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure if anyone here aware. The Springfield Club have had a major reshuffle and will be starting 2015 afresh . So on behalf of the club I do wish to apologise for all inconvenience caused whether by individuals or the club, however our facilities are still not what I would call the best and whilst the club sort this out with AFLQ and Council we ask for some patience , of course the new committee will be doing less complaining about other clubs facilities especially when ours is nowhere near the acceptable condition
Thanks to you all for patience, please pass on the apology to any clubs you enjoy football at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
There are a few teams who have no intention of wanting to move up a division as they are either truly a 3rd team (eg Yeronga, Kenmore, Sandgate, now Mayne), simply want to provide a place for blokes to play footy (Woodsmen) or have tried before and realise that's probably a few years away, if at all (eg Jimboomba, Coll Park, Springfield).

You're going to get all types in this division. And as for the social aspect referred to, yes all clubs have that social element to them (which is what makes them all tick), but in this division, it's perhaps a little more emphasised. The footy is taken just as seriously, but the training and post game might be a little more relaxed. Anyone who saw the Woodsmen's post match routine would attest to that. Moorooka's bar sales never looked so impressive!!

I like your suggestions QAFL, and either way you choose to split them, on paper anyway, would make two very competitive leagues.

Let's see what unfolds in the coming weeks.
Thanks for your insights they will come in very handy in ensuring culture is taught to an acceptable level without going overboard on expectations !

King 05

Senior List
Oct 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Not sure if anyone here aware. The Springfield Club have had a major reshuffle and will be starting 2015 afresh . So on behalf of the club I do wish to apologise for all inconvenience caused whether by individuals or the club, however our facilities are still not what I would call the best and whilst the club sort this out with AFLQ and Council we ask for some patience , of course the new committee will be doing less complaining about other clubs facilities especially when ours is nowhere near the acceptable condition
Thanks to you all for patience, please pass on the apology to any clubs you enjoy football at.

Not that I have any official capacity at any club, but your apology while acknowledged and greatly appreciated, is unnecessary RAZ, from the playing group anyway. I have been associated with the Woodsmen (as a volunteer) in 2014, and have been on the receiving end of a tirade from one of your over-zealous officials. Now I'm a big boy, but quite frankly even I was taken aback at the level of abuse directed at me and the club.

However it seems that you have finally taken steps forward to ensure that your club plays in and enjoys the competition and camaraderie associated with it. It's unique in the fact that the concept of "volunteer" goes beyond what would normally be thought of. It's not perfect, but it's a cracking comp, regardless of ability or competitiveness of each team.

All the best for 2015. I don't think you'll find a poster on here that blames the playing group for the sins of the committee last year. Or perhaps the sins of 1 or 2 of your committee anyway.

So does that mean you are still playing at the high school?

King 05

Senior List
Oct 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers
This division is both.

It's a league for startup clubs to find their feet before moving up, like Coomera as an example.

Or its a Division to fall back to when a club falls on tougher times and can only field one side, like Wynnum, Pine Rivers and possibly Kedron.

Then it's also a '3rds' league, where strong clubs who want to look after the blokes not getting a game in their reserves provide an avenue to play footy.

The Woodsmen appear to be a bit different form all of the above, but they are nominally the Magpies 3rds, just with a few anomalies.

Interesting QAFL..... want to name the anomalies? I won't talk for Thommo, but as he has previously stated, the Woodsmen started out because the Magpies couldn't/wouldn't support a 3rds side.

If ex W Magpie players want to continue to play in black and white, maintain a relaxed approach to footy and live in the area, then you can't blame them for heading back down to Sherwood for a kick.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
By anomalies, I mean while they might be considered by other clubs as the nominal Magpies 3rds - they have a number of players (not all ex Magpies) who are good enough to play 1's for the Magpies, and several more who would be good enough to play 2's.

So the suggestion that they are a 3rds side in disguise is not quite accurate. More like a Magpies affiliate.

Thurgood03

Rookie
Jan 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
By anomalies, I mean while they might be considered by other clubs as the nominal Magpies 3rds - they have a number of players (not all ex Magpies) who are good enough to play 1's for the Magpies, and several more who would be good enough to play 2's.

So the suggestion that they are a 3rds side in disguise is not quite accurate. More like a Magpies affiliate.

what's that saying about "flogging a dead horse" QAFL?
Pretty sure this came up a few times last year and each time that Tommo character explained that due to work, family, interest and commitment none of these players you talk about are able to train 2-3 nights a week let alone give up their Saturdays in order to play 1s and 2s.
The Woodsmen train, play and operate as a third side, they have very little affiliation with the Magpies and are most definitely a stand alone social 3rds team.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with the sentiment, but you contradict yourself.

They train, play and operate as a football club. Little or no affiliation with the Magpies as you say, says they are a senior football side from their available pool of players.

There is no doubt very good reason for each individual to play for them, no matter what their ability - but my point was simply that they are not a '3rds side from the Magpies'. They are a senior side from the Woodsmen, who have an affiliation, either big or small - with the Western Magpies.

If they are a stand alone side, and have little affiliation with the Magpies - they can't be a 3rds team, because they have no 1's and 2's !

I think we probably agree with each other, just articulating it differently.

Thurgood03

Rookie
Jan 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I apologize if my use of "thirds"terminology caused confusion. I tend to use the term thirds in relation to third division. An old habit.
I was saying that apart from a ground and a few other things the two clubs (I hope that's correct) seem to have very little to do with each other.
I was also saying that this external idea that they draw players from the magpies (like a thirds team or feeder club) isn't the case due to the separation between the two footy clubs. Its simply the closest team that fits the bill for these certain players, from what I saw last year the relationship often ran the other way around. ;-)

As u said; however, probably the same point, but using differing language.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They might draw ex players, certainly not current players.

Looking at Footy Web will show that they've never had a permit player from Western Magpies in 6 completed seasons, so you are absolutely right in that they never draw players from them. However, plenty have been permitted from Woodsmen to Magpies as you say. Keiren Verma has played close to 20 games for Magpies in 2 seasons!

King 05

Senior List
Oct 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Perhaps he was simply dropped from the woodies and could only get a gig for the magpies 2's hahaha.

Strict rules at the Woodies Thurgood..... You don't stick to the game plan, you pay the price by being sent back to the feeder club!!
;)

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
So does that mean you are still playing at the high school?

No the Seniors are moved from the High School, but unfortunately are now located at another school Woodcrest. At this facility whilst the change rooms are slightly bigger, we still wont have shade and seating for anyone. We wont have massage tables available in change rooms, we wont even have access to the kiosk at present. Being a school ground means no alcohol or smoking and this I think will lead to a few spectators being upset.
At present we not even sure what day they will give us to play on as it is a shared ground with Soccer.

But if we can all be patient there are some longer term plans starting and one day who knows what will happen. But rest assured we will be trying our best to make the welcome at our home good for all.

Thanks again, it is opinions being shared openly that help the newcomers to learn

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have you considered playing home games at Moorooka on fri nights like the Woodsmen did in 2014?

As I understand it, they are going home to Sherwood and I imagine Moorooka would welcome another tenant in there on a Friday night to keep barsales ticking over.

Could be worth finding yourselves a home away from home, rather than stuffing around at sub standard playing venues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back