2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Right or wrong, It is what it is and there is no changing it now! Think we have had enough discussion on this topic.
We have a grand final being played tonight and all that has been spoken about this week is the venue, let's talk footy!!! What are people's tips and thoughts on tonight's game?

I'd recommend teams like Zillmere and Woodsmen as your best bet, stand alone senior clubs - not 'thirds'

They also seem to be far more relaxed than a few other clubs, who carry on like pork chops. Collingwood Park is probably another one worth investigating I reckon.

Unsure what the 3rds culture is like down at Mayne, but they are a great club in general. I would avoid the ones that think they're playing for sheep stations who are unpopular amongst the other teams. (Kedron, Sandgate, Yeronga, Jimboomba to name a few)

Now, now QAFL Fan. That's not right... Everyone loves Yeronga.

Sorry what were the better options ?????? Yeronga didn't want div 4. Cooparoo didn't want div 4. So what was the better options.
who told you that?

No complaints from the Woodies regarding the venue, the players only care about the surface, the lights and the rooms and Zillmere is fine on all 3 counts. Wish we could have played there last week too, maybe I wouldn't have a busted bloody ankle from a shitty uneven surface and would be able to play!

We won a Premiership on this very ground 6 years ago in our first season, so have fond memories there.

As for bar facilties, I imagine there will be a mass exodus post game as each club will have their own plans, win, lose or draw. We won't be hanging around like we normally do during the H&A season, we have a big night planned so will be heading closer to home immediately - so as long as there are a few cold bevvies for after the siren - its all good.

As for the supporters, would be nice for them to be able to collect together in a good central vantage point to create a bit of noise and atmosphere. Haven't been to Zillmere since Round 3, so no idea if thats possible, but I admit its not a spectator friendly venue.

Thanks for your advice! The ones who carry on like pork chops are exactly the ones I'm looking to avoid. I'm interested in the team culture, the exercise, and of course trying to win, but doing it in a way that doesn't mean trying to get into fights or cripple some bloke who's likely got to work the next day. A bit of fun with rewards for doing well thrown in.

I've just had a look at the Woodsmen website and they certainly seem to be a good fit for me, but their training clashes with my work night unfortunately. So, do the clubs you've mentioned in brackets have a bad rep? I'm actually reasonably close to Yeronga, so it's disappointing to hear they're less popular within the comp. I was also considering UQ; what's the word on them? I can't dig up much information on Zillmere, but they'd be a bit too far out I think. Collingwood Park is close by so perhaps they're a good pick.

Thanks again for your help!

Hey there... come down to Yeronga. As the Fal says, it's good to be local. Every year we have a number of guys who haven't played much before. The Yeronga thirds is a very tight knit, tolerant and down to earth group and a good learning environment. With an exceptional end of season footy trip.

I also think you should take QAFL fan's perspective with a grain of salt.. We love his presence on this forum but he doesn't play the game in this comp. I can't imagine Yeronga would have a bad rep among teams in the comp.

I'll be too busy hiding from Thommo, as I think he is closing in on my identity.

I can't be outed..as I could get in some serious strife!

Not sure who you're talking to, but everyone I ask still has NFI who you are. It's been suggested that perhaps you are more than just one guy given your multiple personality disorder, but beyond that I don't think anyone really cares champ.

Woodsmen could be a good fit.

Thommo or anyone else who actually plays, do you reckon old crack pipes comments on unpopular teams are accurate. Can't recall anyone having an issue with Kedron last year or the year before that? Other teams "unpopular with the other teams" what a load of utter BS.

I'm hardly going to publicly comment on which teams are unpopular! Especially given I imagine the opinions of other teams are different at each club anyway.

What I will say is that The Rookie is very welcome down at the Woodies, where he would be a potential winner of the most prestigious award in QLD Footy - The Rising Woody. Awarded to the best first year Woodsmen player who is new to the sport. It's a hot field each year, as we always get a few guys looking to try their hand at Aussie Rules with varying degrees of success. Even the guys who end up not playing hang around anyway, because we are such a bunch of legends....haha.

I will confirm that there might be a couple of teams that carry on like gooses, but I'm sure everyone knows who they are... :)

If I wanted to listen to a bunch of douchebags yelling at each other, I'd watch Question time on the ABC....

Barracking for Woodsmen in this comp is a bit like barracking for Hawthorn. But i'm gonna do it. We copped a few hidings in the back half of this year, and Kedron is the one team in the comp who were really mouthy.

Having said that, just love watching Fitzgibbon play. He is by far the best play in this comp - miles ahead, and none of the lip ever comes from him. I get the feeling that the Woodsmen will scrap and keep it close but sooner or later Fitzgibbon will have a 15 minute burst that changes the result. I'm sure Yorston and Sizer will be chiming in all night.

If it stays close deeper into the game there is a good chance Kedron will turn on each other. I saw some of that in the game where UQ pushed them. They are a very talented side that have rarely been seriously challenged. I think they will win tonight and probably by 5 goals. But carn the Woodies.

Which clubs that aren't playing and applied to host finals should of been used?

Why does it matter if they're not playing?

AFLQ already confirmed the GF was going to be at Zillmere, regardless of who won last week.

We would have been happy to play Zillmere at Zillmere last week, especially instead of Kedron. We just enquired as to why we wouldn't host it at Chelmer given we were the higher placed team and the reply was to move it to Kedron!

Enough chat about the venue.....

Woodies by 6 goals, BOG to big Gerard Moore who will turn back the clock in a vintage display.

I'll back myself in to win the cruiser challenge at the club around 2am.

Also, just a note. Anyone who wants to share a beer, come and see me!

I'll give you details of our pre-season campaign for 2016 commencing in April. We're always on the lookout for fresh recruits :)

Thanks again for the advice everyone! Thommo, I'm heading to the game tonight to get a feel for the style and level of play (and just enjoy a grand final!) so if you let me know what to look for to find you, I'll come and say g'day and chat about '16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so weve got one kedron player posting here who doesnt rate his opposition. think he might be in for a shock.

Kedron win by 20pts. 76-55

Shout out to kedron number 44. Waiting at interchange for 10min before getting a run in the last quarter

Thought there was a comeback in the making there, unlucky Woodies. You won a new fan at the very least. Think I saw you Thommo but it was a bit too tense to drop in I thought. When does preseason start?

Thought there was a comeback in the making there, unlucky Woodies. You won a new fan at the very least. Think I saw you Thommo but it was a bit too tense to drop in I thought. When does preseason start?
A week before the first practice match. Its a long and arduous journey to become a Woodie.

Wow, season over. Went by in a flash. Third consecutive year a team has gone through unbeaten and won a premiership. Congrats to Kedron. Was a good turnout to watch last nights game. Kedron just got too much of a jump for Woodsmen to claw back. Credit to Woodsmen as it really looked like it was going to get ugly.

Was interesting to see that same umpire umpiring the Grand Final, and then making up rules just to ensure he influenced the game.

What a cracker of a game. It had something for everyone. You can say what you want but really enjoyed the year and the banter. It's time for this old bloke to go home now.
The boys are still going strong but I'm well and truly done and dusted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back