2015 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
There's no move, but the club has received grants totalling about $2m to upgrade and build new facilities.

So, for next year we will have a new field/surface, new fence, new posts, new lights (I think), new canteen, new change rooms and a new gym. The clubhouse will get a facelift as well.

The old 1960's set- up will be completely transformed, and this should give the club as a whole a big boost.

Pretty sure the old change room for visiting teams will be preserved though, don't want the opposition benefiting from all those upgrades......;)

A couple of grand of the $2m on an opposition coaches box wouldn't go astray either......

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
hah - very good, judge - sounds like it is going to be sensational - all credit to the gorillas. Still think a couple of the PHC GF's played there a few years back were as a good an atmosphere as i've attended at a local GF. Just the ground surface did require a significant upgrade.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
hah - very good, judge - sounds like it is going to be sensational - all credit to the gorillas. Still think a couple of the PHC GF's played there a few years back were as a good an atmosphere as i've attended at a local GF. Just the ground surface did require a significant upgrade.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like everyone playing for 2nd after the tigers performance on Saturday.

Morningside very good when it mattered yesterday, on the back of Abey and Kinch in particular. Magpies ruckman going down was crucial.

Great bunch of blokes playing at Morningside, but gee their supporters are average. As much as I admire that playing group, I hope they get smashed just to shut their arrogant fanbase up a bit. Never heard a bigger bunch of tossers.

Ruffles00

Debutant
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Morningside very good when it mattered yesterday, on the back of Abey and Kinch in particular. Magpies ruckman going down was crucial.

Great bunch of blokes playing at Morningside, but gee their supporters are average. As much as I admire that playing group, I hope they get smashed just to shut their arrogant fanbase up a bit. Never heard a bigger bunch of tossers.

Not sure where you were sitting. I found supporters from both clubs were supportive of both teams.

The_Sherrin

Debutant
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

That's a bit harsh, I suspect the supporters where upset with some portions of the umpiring.

The Western Magpies came out at the beginning of the match to impose their physical superiority with aggression and speed at the ball. Good on them that's football most important that's Finals Footy. Sadly for the Maggies they where the better team for 3qtrs.

On a side note.
Kinch took a mark and was pushed head first into the White picket fence, how the Magpie player didn't get carded or was even given a 50m penalty was pretty ordinary from the Umpires. Player safety must come first!!! Both Western Magpies and Morningside proved they deserved to be in the finals. Also both sides showed they where a class above the 3 central umpires.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wasn't supporting either team, I was just there for the game.

Umpires missed a few, but felt they were generally ok and not worth complaining about.

I was sitting near the Yeronga canteen and the Morningside supporters there were disgraceful, just arrogant stains on a club. One old Magpie supporter also had a foul mouth when yelling out to players, which should have been addressed by someone at the ground, but was left unchecked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gee Morningside were good - play a really offensive style of footy, get the ball in the back half and just run it out by hand until they get forward of centre and smack it forward to their big fellas who have great hands. The Gorillas could barely get it out of their back half at times. Panthers absolutely smashed Grange at the centre square clearances - they have a very good ruckman and reckon Gorillas forgot to just go defensive at times in there. Kept on rolling the dice. Brittain was their standout but his opponent carved up as well. Think the Panthers are one of those clubs who come Sept just know how to win.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah for sure, but it shouldn't be a smashing margins difference. Gorillas were very average.

SMY,
agree,,, must say, whilst the Grange and Magpies finished above Morningside on the ladder come the end of the home and away season, I was never in doubt that Morningside were much better then these 2 sides. During the season I watched both home and away games where the Grange and the Magpies played my Broadbeach and also the same, Broady vs Morningside.After seeing these games , my thoughts were that Morningside were the much better side and will make the GF regardless of where they finished on the ladder after the home and away season.
I don't think they can beat Labrador in the GF coming this weekend .

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And I was surprised as to how critical some on here have been of. Morning sides coaching during the year. To me lake and co totally out coached the grange mob with a far superior game style. In fact I really couldn't see one for WG?

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
i'm just intrigued by the fact that Morningside finish 4th, get a home final and then play 3 in a row at Yeronga - while it will be Labrador's first game on the ground since the 2014 Grand Final

I find your comments interesting stuyd1, given the Cats beat Morningside.

I didn't see the Siders vs Grange game, but in the 3 encounters between the Pies and Panthers this year, the Pies controlled all of them but for some wayward goalkicking in 2 out of 3, they really should have got the chocolates in all of of them. Wasn't to be though, and the more experienced side ran over the top in the semi after the Pies should have had it stitched up at 3/4 time.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Experience played a big part thommo. Doc down back is fantastic. Just organises well from what I could tell. Need blokes who can clunk it in finals up front too. Grange let them get away early and couldn't ever get bad into game. The coach made some early howlers and this must have shaken the whole sides confidence. Not sure Labrador will allow the panthers the easy run out of the centre. This was a massive factor IMO.

Luckyme12

Debutant
Mar 2, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
I read a lot of opinions regarding tomorrows game a fair bit of crap really from the ground is a factor Morningside play well their or their finals experience will be a real factor. Having played coached and followed football for 50 years their is only one thing that really matters , the 22 blokes from each team will determine the result always has always will.

Here are some facts Rnd 6 Teams virtually identical to tomorrows lineups Fraser Baxter & Lappin for labrador they kick their average 5 , 3 & 2 Respectively Labrador win 17-13 to 10-10 Abey Kicks 4 His Average for year Morningside never really in it after 1/2time

Round 15 Compared with tomorrows lineups No Fraser or Lappin or Dyson Budarick(State Duties) for Labrador Mueller and Lunde - Jenkins for Morningside both spent time in the reserves this year Average 1 Goal per game in seniors. Abey kicked 1 and that was at the end of the game. Score 7-9 to 11-9 Labrador

Having seen both games games this year it was very evident Lab midfield vastly superior in Ground coverage and physicality Hicks Thorsen Baird Davey Budarick Featherstone Clarke they just work a lot harder.

My only concern is Hollis V Mollinson although Andy did a great job last time.

End result labrador by 5 - 9 Goals. unless it rains then it will probably be closer.

That should certainly rain on the Human Ego,s parade for his last game as coach.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What a classic grand final .... geez morningside should of closed the door in the first 10 minutes of the final quarter..with numerous inside 50s but just kicked points . They kicked 2.7 for the quarter. Then labrador gained 2 inside 50s for 2 goals ... that broke the panthers..... just a great contest ... panther ruckman be it mollinson was bog imo. Great crowd as well... predict about 2500 . Maybe a tad more ..

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All credit to Morningside they showed why they have been such a successful club for such a long time, but The Tigers overcome the 12 free kicks in a row and like the Grogan Medal strange results found a way to win as all great football sides do.

karmaking

All Australian
Feb 2, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All credit to Morningside they showed why they have been such a successful club for such a long time, but The Tigers overcome the 12 free kicks in a row and like the Grogan Medal strange results found a way to win as all great football sides do.
Sensational game

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit of a cliche there lucky... Of course 22 blokes get the job done:rolleyes: But often what matters is what is going on in those 22 blokes heads, how hey respond to pressure and whether the moment gets the better of them. Simplistic to think otherwise. Morningside somehow find a way to play well when it matters, some sides don't but are very good H&A teams.
Pretty ungracious too to lakey. He has been unreal for qld football over the past decade and more and always been a model to how things should be done as a coach. His playing career was just as good mind you. No doubt rubbed a few people the wrong way but that happens when you coach for long enough as well.

Congrats to both teams, great to see a new side win it and for the panthers to make it such a game coming from the elimination is credit to their whole club. Great way to finish the year for the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back